canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 am

$1:
The problem, in brief, is that time may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality. If so, then what is time? And why is it so obviously and tyrannically omnipresent in our own experience? “The meaning of time has become terribly problematic in contemporary physics,” says Simon Saunders, a philosopher of physics at the University of Oxford. “The situation is so uncomfortable that by far the best thing to do is declare oneself an agnostic.”

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:22 am

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:28 am

[cheer]

Since time no longer exists, I guess ageing is non existent right along with it. Now to convince my body that it's fucking up this new reality.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:52 am

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
[cheer]

Since time no longer exists, I guess ageing is non existent right along with it. Now to convince my body that it's fucking up this new reality.

The more likely explanation is that your body
$1:
may not exist at the most fundamental level of physical reality

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:54 am

Excellent. I shall use time doesn't exist excuse next time I am late for work.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:53 pm

If nothing's real then why does it always hurt so much? :|

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Haven't you realized the correlation between time and pain yet?

The greater the pain the slower time progresses.....the better you feel, the faster time progresses....

Time is the only thing we have that is preventing everything from happening simultaneously!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:35 pm

All I know is that awake-time lasts far too long and nap-time is nowhere near long enough. :( :mrgreen:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Ok... so I read the article and all I can say is...

Can I have some of what he's been smoking? :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 am

Time may not exist as we understand it, with the whole past-present-future thing, but for how we biologically function and the way our brains process reality as it happens, time exists. We'll never escape "time", but things like this should be used to hammer the point home how impossible time travel is; the past doesn't exist and the future is just probabilities. But for humans, we experience memories, which are terrifyingly insecure and are really just weak snapshots of unique experiences. But our memory is why we dwell on "the past".

But for the universe, it all just ends up sounding like some hippie's acid trip with how much it all seems to cycle to being "one".

I remember some song I was listening to that laid some theorists voice over top some trippy beat, and he mentioned how you can remember when you were a kid, your first time doing whatever, and how sure you are that you were there, at that point, as you are here at this point. But you weren't there, not a single atom that makes you now was with you in that memory. The old "if I replace the axe head, then later replace the handle, when is it no longer the same axe?" question.

Anyway I don't try to trouble myself with much of this kind of stuff past basic drunken philosophy. But this sort of discussion grounds my atheism. Entropy isn't answering any prayers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 am

Finally... Achilles will catch the tortoise. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:56 am

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Time may not exist but for the way our brains process reality as it happens, time exists. We'll never escape "time".

Except that some biological entities report that their brains have processed reality to experience "no time." It seems to have quite the transformative effect on how they perceive the world. It doesn't stop the biological clock of their bodies, but they seem a lot more relaxed with it all. I guess it comes down to whether you see yourself as being a biobot or not.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:12 am

raydan raydan:
Finally... Achilles will catch the tortoise. :D

Don't be such a heel Ray!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:19 am

I saw what you did there. :wink:

CKA Uber