CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 32775
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:15 pm
 


PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
Although it seems to me to be a case of a pretty simple fix. Capture the steam exhaust, let it condense back into liquid water and dump it back down the well.


Which is exactly what every well in Iceland does, as far as I have read.

Iceland has also gone a little further, and run pipes under roads and sidewalks, and pumps hot water through them all before recirculating it. No need for snowploughs or de-icers in cities. :)


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 10865
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:28 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
Although it seems to me to be a case of a pretty simple fix. Capture the steam exhaust, let it condense back into liquid water and dump it back down the well.


Which is exactly what every well in Iceland does, as far as I have read.

Iceland has also gone a little further, and run pipes under roads and sidewalks, and pumps hot water through them all before recirculating it. No need for snowploughs or de-icers in cities. :)


That's a damn good idea. Can I have some on my driveway.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 8624
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm
 


PluggyRug wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
Although it seems to me to be a case of a pretty simple fix. Capture the steam exhaust, let it condense back into liquid water and dump it back down the well.


Which is exactly what every well in Iceland does, as far as I have read.

Iceland has also gone a little further, and run pipes under roads and sidewalks, and pumps hot water through them all before recirculating it. No need for snowploughs or de-icers in cities. :)


That's a damn good idea. Can I have some on my driveway.

One of the buildings I worked in had HOT waterpipes running just below the building's plaza... It kept the ice and snow off much of the plaza, most of the time.


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:40 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
"Superior" technology would be freely adopted by the market and would not require billions in subsidies to make the technology cheaper than readily available and proven technologies.

Also, no one needs to be shamed into or intimidated into adopting a truly superior technology.

Given that the climate alarmists who recently met up at Davos traveled there on 1500+ private jets instead of using solar powered aircraft then the fact remains that even those fuckfaces understand what is the actual 'superior' technology.


That happens to be exactly what is happening. Solar and wind are already cheaper than coal and oil thanks to multiple technological breakthroughs in the last couple of decades. The component that is currently lacking is energy storage to back up the new systems, however, that appears to be a problem that is well on the way to being solved.

And shaming and intimidation really has nothing to do with it. I doubt anyone bullied or shamed you into buying a cell phone or an HD TV or any of the multiple other products that did not exist 20 or 30 year ago. You bought them because they were better than existing products or offered something that did not previously exist. I suspect the same thing will happen with systems yet to come.

I am a bit confused about your "solar powered aircraft remark. Are you saying that delegates should have used a technology that does not yet exist?


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 10865
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:18 pm
 


Wonder if this will get debunked... :mrgreen:

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/ice ... le-ice-age

Quote:
The “Little Ice Age” of the 16th and 17th centuries was triggered by the genocide of indigenous people in the Americas by European settlers, new research suggests.

Scientists have long wondered what caused the drop in temperatures so severe that it caused the River Thames to freeze over.

New analysis by University College London (UCL) argues that so many people were slaughtered or died of disease that the amount of agricultural land dramatically reduced, which in turn sucked carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.

Known as the “Great Dying,” the upheavals following the first contact with Europeans in 1492 is thought to have cut the population of 60 million living across the Americas down to five or six million within just 100 years. Published in Quaternary Science Reviews, the study found that much of the land previously cultivated by indigenous civilizations would have fallen into disuse, becoming swallowed up by forest and grassland.

It estimates that an area of 56 million hectares, roughly the size of modern-day France, would have been “rewilded” in this way.

The scale of the change is believed to have drawn an amount of CO2 from the atmosphere equivalent to two years of fossil fuel emissions at the present rate.

Professor Mark Maslin, from UCL’s School of Geography, said: “There is a marked cooling around that time which is called the Little Ice Age, and what’s interesting is that we can see natural processes giving a bit of cooling, but to actually get the full cooling – double the natural processes – you have to have this genocide–generated drop in CO2.”

The research team examined historical population data, using it to model the reduction of land devoted to agriculture.

Ed Hawkins, professor of climate science at Reading University, said: “Scientists understand that the so-called Little Ice Age was caused by several factors – a drop in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, a series of large volcanic eruptions, changes in land use and a temporary decline in solar activity. The drop in CO2 is itself partly due the settlement of the Americas and the resulting collapse of the indigenous population.

“It demonstrates that human activities affected the climate well before the industrial revolution began.”


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 33832
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 pm
 


PluggyRug wrote:
Quote:
Ed Hawkins, professor of climate science at Reading University, said: “Scientists understand that the so-called Little Ice Age was caused by several factors – a drop in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels, a series of large volcanic eruptions, changes in land use and a temporary decline in solar activity. The drop in CO2 is itself partly due the settlement of the Americas and the resulting collapse of the indigenous population.


Just can't cast that net wide enough, dazzle them with globull warming bullshit. :lol:

But what Ed is really saying, we need to genocide some more Indians. His words not mine.

So how about we start this time in Africa, where the 1 billion Africans are
set to become 4 billion by the end of the century.


Offline
Active Member
Active Member
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 120
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:39 pm
 


PublicAnimalNo9 wrote:
Douwe wrote:
These scenarios are all very interesting, but they probably don't matter much in the long run. The shift to greener forms of energy appears to be in full swing not because of fears of global warming, but because it is simply superior technology and over the long run superior technology generally wins in spite of stubborn resistance to change.

Um, I'm not sure how superior a 5000 yr old technology like wind power is. I just about swallowed my tongue laughing when some dipwad in Ontario defended the stupid windmills we have by calling coal power 200 yr old technology and sniffed derisively at the absurdity of using it to solve a 21st century problem. Yeah, using 200 yr old technology is absurd but using 5000 yr old technology is the epitome of brilliance and forward thinking.


Modern wind tech bears as much resemblance to ancient windmills as the early wheels bear to modern jet turbines Coal has pretty much reached its technological limit as a producer of power. It was replaced decades ago on ships and railroads. However, modern wind technology has increase exponentially in just the last three decades. Modern wind generators are lighter but generate several times the power they once did in the 1980s. Not only that, but they have a several more advantages over coal. They produce power more cheaply; they do not fill the air with poisons; and they do not require the digging of giant holes in the landscape.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.