CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:30 pm
 


DrCaleb wrote:
USA Temperature: can I sucker you?
Do you have anything to sell??
Can you tell us how we can make some money off of this useless knowledge?!?

There is your answer.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm
 


PluggyRug wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
Once data has been manipulated it ceases to be data.


I don't think so. BY that rule converting Fahrenheit to Celsius wouldn't work.


No, that's math. This is similar to {Cx1.8}+32=F written as (Cx1.8)+64)=F


Most of the manipulation is math. It's math that converts the resistance detected in a microwave receiver to a temperature.


Offline
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 927
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:42 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:
I don't think so. BY that rule converting Fahrenheit to Celsius wouldn't work.
No, that's math. This is similar to {Cx1.8}+32=F written as (Cx1.8)+64)=F
Most of the manipulation is math. It's math that converts the resistance detected in a microwave receiver to a temperature.
No.
It is the power of God (or "physics" for the farmers) that converts resistance detected in a microwave receiver to a temperature.






You guys are creative.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 20991
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:17 am
 


CharlesAnthony wrote:
No.
It is the power of God (or "physics" for the farmers) that converts resistance detected in a microwave receiver to a temperature.






You guys are creative.


Physics is not mathematics and mathematics is not physics -- Richard Feynman



...and yes, he was enormously creative.


Online
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31513
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:30 am
 


Zipperfish wrote:
PluggyRug wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:
I don't think so. BY that rule converting Fahrenheit to Celsius wouldn't work.


No, that's math. This is similar to {Cx1.8}+32=F written as (Cx1.8)+64)=F


Most of the manipulation is math. It's math that converts the resistance detected in a microwave receiver to a temperature.


Statistics has been a branch of mathematics for a few hundred years now.

Most of our lives are successfully influenced by that branch of math.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63269
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 am
 


DrCaleb wrote:
Statistics has been a branch of mathematics for a few hundred years now.

Most of our lives are successfully influenced by that branch of math.


Not always.

People have a nagging tendency to refute statisticians by doing things that are statistically improbable (Trump) or by simply noting that statistical projections are not always accurate, such as no more snow in the UK by 2010.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23218
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:02 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Statistics has been a branch of mathematics for a few hundred years now.

Most of our lives are successfully influenced by that branch of math.


Not always.

People have a nagging tendency to refute statisticians by doing things that are statistically improbable (Trump) or by simply noting that statistical projections are not always accurate, such as no more snow in the UK by 2010.

Improbable doesn't mean impossible.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63269
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:29 am
 


Tricks wrote:
Improbable doesn't mean impossible.


And any more when some learned person tells me that something is impossible then I'm not at all surprised when they're proven wrong.


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 23218
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
Tricks wrote:
Improbable doesn't mean impossible.


And any more when some learned person tells me that something is impossible then I'm not at all surprised when they're proven wrong.

I feel like the term impossible has been cheapened by hyperbole recently.


Offline
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks


GROUP_AVATAR
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 63269
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:35 am
 


Me, too. [B-o]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 28527
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:15 pm
 


Flip a coin 100 times and chances are, you'll get close to a 50/50 split. While it's possible to get 100 heads or 100 tails, chances are so astronomically against it, might as well say it's impossible.


Online
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 31513
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:27 am
 


BartSimpson wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Statistics has been a branch of mathematics for a few hundred years now.

Most of our lives are successfully influenced by that branch of math.


Not always.

People have a nagging tendency to refute statisticians by doing things that are statistically improbable (Trump) or by simply noting that statistical projections are not always accurate, such as no more snow in the UK by 2010.


So you did read the article! It was about how cherry picking statistics can be used to lie, and further disrepute statisticians.

Trump wasn't statistically improbable, they were just asking the wrong questions. If they had asked 'do you intend to vote' and correlated that with who they would vote for, I bet they would have been more accurate.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.