Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:04 am

$1:
Climate explained: why some people still think climate change isn’t real

David Hall
October 8, 2019 2.56pm EDT

Even people who accept the science of climate change sometimes resist it because it clashes with their personal projects.

Climate Explained is a collaboration between The Conversation, Stuff and the New Zealand Science Media Centre to answer your questions about climate change.

If you have a question you’d like an expert to answer, please send it to [email protected]

Why do people still think climate change isn’t real?

At its heart, climate change denial is a conflict between facts and values. People deny the climate crisis because, to them, it just feels wrong.

As I’ve argued elsewhere, acknowledging climate change involves accepting certain facts. But being concerned about climate change involves connecting these facts to values. It involves building bridges between the science of climate change and peoples’ various causes, commitments and convictions.

Denial happens when climate science rubs us up the wrong way. Instead of making us want to arrest the climate crisis, it makes us resist the very thought of it, because the facts of anthropogenic global heating clash with our personal projects.

It could be that the idea of climate change is a threat to our worldview. Or it could be that we fear society’s response to climate change, the disruption created by the transition to a low-emissions economy. Either way, climate change becomes such an “inconvenient truth” that, instead of living with and acting upon our worries, we suppress the truth instead.

Read more: Five climate change science misconceptions – debunked

Negating reality

Sigmund Freud and his daughter Anna were the great chroniclers of denial. Sigmund described this negation of reality as an active mental process, as “a way of taking cognisance of what is repressed”. This fleeting comprehension is what distinguishes denial from ignorance, misunderstanding or sheer disbelief. Climate change denial involves glimpsing the horrible reality, but defending oneself against it.

Contemporary social psychologists tend to talk about this in terms of “motivated reasoning”. Because the facts of climate science are in conflict with people’s existing beliefs and values, they reason around the facts.

When this happens – as social psychologist Jonathan Haidt memorably put it – they aren’t reasoning in the careful manner of a judge who impartially weighs up all the evidence. Instead, they’re reasoning in the manner of a defence lawyer who clutches for post hoc rationalisations to defend an initial gut instinct. This is why brow-beating deniers with further climate science is unlikely to succeed: their faculty of reason is motivated to defend itself from revising its beliefs.

A large and growing empirical literature is exploring what drives denial. Personality is a factor: people are more likely to deny climate change if they’re inclined toward hierarchy and against changes to the status quo. Demographic factors also show an effect. Internationally, people who are less educated, older and more religious tend to discount climate change, with sex and income having a smaller effect.

[b]Read more: Climate explained: Why are climate change skeptics often right-wing conservatives?[/b]

But the strongest predictor is one’s politics. An international synthesis of existing studies found that values, ideologies and political allegiances overshadowed other factors. In Western societies, political affiliation is the key factor, with conservative voters more likely to discount climate change. Globally, a person’s commitment to democratic values – or not in the case of deniers – is more significant.

This sheds light on another side of the story. Psychology can contribute to explaining a person’s politics, but politics cannot be entirely explained by psychology. So too for denial.

The politics of denial

As the sociologist Stanley Cohen noted in his classic study of denial, there is an important distinction between denial that is personal and psychological, and denial that is institutional and organised. The former involves people who deny the facts to themselves, but the latter involves the denial of facts to others, even when these “merchants of doubt” know the truth very well.

It is well established that fossil fuel companies have long known about climate change, yet sought to frustrate wider public understanding. A comprehensive analysis of documentations from ExxonMobil found that, since 1977, the company has internally acknowledged climate change through the publications of its scientists, even while it publicly promoted doubt through paid advertorials. The fossil fuel industry has also invested heavily in conservative foundations and think tanks that promote contrarian scientists and improbable spins on the science.

All this is rich manure for personal denial. When a person’s motivated reasoning is on the hunt for excuses, there is an industry ready to supply them. Social media offers further opportunities for spreading disinformation. For example, a recent analysis of anonymised YouTube searches found that videos supporting the scientific consensus on climate change were outnumbered by those that didn’t.

Undoing denial

In sum, denial is repressed knowledge. For climate change, this repression occurs at both the psychological level and social level, with the latter providing fodder for the former. This is a dismal scenario, but it shines some light on the way forward.

On the one hand, it reminds us that deniers are capable of acknowledging the science – at some level, they already do – even though they struggle to embrace the practical and ethical implications. Consequently, climate communications may do well to appeal to more diverse values, particularly those values held by the deniers themselves.

Experiments have shown that, if the risks and realities of climate change are reframed as opportunities for community relationship building and societal development, then deniers can shift their views. Similarly, in the US context, appealing to conservative values like patriotism, obeying authority and defending the purity of nature can encourage conservatives to support pro-environmental actions.

On the other hand, not all deniers will be convinced. Some downplay and discount climate change precisely because they recognise that the low-emissions transition will adversely impact their interests. A bombardment of further facts and framings is unlikely to move them.

What will make a difference is the power of the people – through regulation, divestment, consumer choice and public protest. Public surveys emphasise that, throughout the world, deniers are in the minority. The worried majority doesn’t need to win over everyone in order to win on climate change.

https://theconversation.com/climate-exp ... eal-124763

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:31 am

People are less likely to accept the results, if it means they have to give something up. Money, food, cars . . . all of this affects what should be a purely logical decision.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 am

Me! Me! Me! first... then it's everybody else.

I'm sure that the deniers want to preserve their own creature comforts first, but they try to hide that part by arguing that not doing anything will benefit everybody.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:45 am

raydan raydan:
Me! Me! Me! first... then it's everybody else.

I'm sure that the deniers want to preserve their own creature comforts first, but they try to hide that part by arguing that not doing anything will benefit everybody.

They don't see that the benefits to society that caused the climate change were also of benefit to everyone, and still are. But there comes the point when pretending that we aren't capable of affecting something like the Earth conflicts with reality.

We can have increasing economic growth, or the eventual collapse of the economy. The economy goes through regular set backs anyhow, so it appears to not be working as intended. Perhaps it needs a rethink, so instead of sort term growths and shrinkages, it provides a sustainable future instead.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:21 am

Years ago, the better informed fossil fuel fans moved from denialism to other arguments for keeping the fires burning, mainly ‘we will cut back when they (US, China) do’. Harper was a master at blaming the Americans for our slow progress and now most of them go for China and India. Denalism is dead as a serious position and has been relegated to poorly lit corners of the Internet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:37 am

The science is real but the activist solutions are garbage. The fixes will not be easy, or cheap, and hundreds of millions of people will be negatively affected by the horrendous job losses, spiking cost of basic utilities, and massive tax hikes that are certain to occur. That's why there's resistance, not due to denial, but because those who are going to pay the price are going to be hammered hard. Attaching a salesman's easy smile to any of this is just an insult added to the massive personal economic injury that's coming to the average person.

$1:
This place has changed for good
Your economic theory said it would
It's hard for us to understand
We can't give up our jobs the way we should

- Sting "We Work The Black Seam", 1984

The same politicians saying how neat and easy it will all be are the same ones who told you how effective recycling of plastics was. Think about that for a second before you bite down and swallow the alleged solutions to climate change that they're offering.

Last edited by Thanos on Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:17 am

I see a lot of psycho-babble in that OP piece but I don't see anything saying what's supposed to be denied.

Is it that the climate changes. Nobody denies that.

Is it that there is a current climate crisis that can't be adapted too? Is that the denial? I don't see a lot of data supporting such a current crisis exists. There's bad weather sometimes. I don't deny that. I deny that I've never seen bad, unusual or erratic weather before. I don't see anything currently raising to the level of a global crisis and I base that on the data. That's not denial. That's accepting the obvious.

Am I supposed to be denying the little burst of warmth in the late 80s and 90s of the last century that pushed this century up to a 1 degree record over that from bad records we have of the past millennium? I don't deny that. I don't deny that human activity can have some affect on temperature both up and down. Scientists who are supposed to know such things tell me it's been a lot warmer on this planet before though. Even before Man got here.

Is it that there are computer models that can tell us when some vague, hysteria-worthy, apocalyptic, climate catastrophe is going to occur a century or two into the future. Of course, I deny that. It doesn't jive with reality. If computer models can predict the future show me the one I can take to the track and win the trifecta with.

You know what I deny? I deny this denial that clowns like the guy writing the piece in the OP are wetting the bed over even exists. The only real denial is of that obvious fact.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:34 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
I see a lot of psycho-babble in that OP piece but I don't see anything

$1:
People deny the climate crisis because, to them, it just feels wrong.

People deny because muh precious feelings.

There is the tractor load of whiny emotional bullshit the Greta Whorebergs
of the muh 5 degree warming can understand.

Stopped reading after that, OP should be dismissed.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Here's a reminder for those genuflecting at the altar of AGW.

Attachments:
GOGo.jpg
GOGo.jpg [ 31.57 KiB | Viewed 930 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:38 pm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The science is real but the activist solutions are garbage. The fixes will not be easy, or cheap, and hundreds of millions of people will be negatively affected by the horrendous job losses, spiking cost of basic utilities, and massive tax hikes that are certain to occur. That's why there's resistance, not due to denial, but because those who are going to pay the price are going to be hammered hard. Attaching a salesman's easy smile to any of this is just an insult added to the massive personal economic injury that's coming to the average person.

$1:
This place has changed for good
Your economic theory said it would
It's hard for us to understand
We can't give up our jobs the way we should

- Sting "We Work The Black Seam", 1984

The same politicians saying how neat and easy it will all be are the same ones who told you how effective recycling of plastics was. Think about that for a second before you bite down and swallow the alleged solutions to climate change that they're offering.

So lets wait around and compound the inevitable cost of it?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:12 pm

Turns out the liberals and lefties are just as good as the right-wing loons are arbitrarily deciding who gets tossed out of the lifeboat first, "for the greater good of all" of course. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Mmmmmm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:28 pm

Martin15 Martin15:
N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
I see a lot of psycho-babble in that OP piece but I don't see anything

$1:
People deny the climate crisis because, to them, it just feels wrong.

People deny because muh precious feelings.

There is the tractor load of whiny emotional bullshit the Greta Whorebergs
of the muh 5 degree warming can understand.

Stopped reading after that, OP should be dismissed.

Calling a child a whore because you have a different political opinion. Way to stay classy. :roll:

This is exactly why Deplorables deserve to be ignored.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Mmmmmm

Cute. :roll:

Ummmmmmm

https://calgaryherald.com/news/politics ... an-to-help

$1:
Politicians who propose to bury the bedrock of Alberta’s economy have an obvious duty to be specific about the future.

For starters, Alberta and the other oil and gas provinces could be designated the major centres of green energy and research in Canada, and given the grants and subsidies to make it happen.

But nobody says anything like that. These political leaders have no plan for helping Alberta through one of the most difficult transitions any province is expected to face. Green Leader Elizabeth May talks of a “just transition,” but that’s about it.

If that’s to be the future, would some federal politician please come up with a serious, detailed transition plan? Everybody will still need a job, including climate activists.