canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 pm

In an emotional but thrilling win for all the fans in attendance tonight at the opening game of the World Women's Hockey Championship being held in Plymouth, Pennsylvania, the Americans shut-out our Team Canada 2 zip. Team Canada had its chances and would have been down many more goals had it not been for the skillful net-minding of Shannon Szabados - she faced by far the most SOGs. Congratulations to Team USA. Well done ladies.

I expect to see our Team Canada improve as the championship continues.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:52 am

Hockey Canada seems to be letting this team get old, most of them have been around for 2, some 3 Olympics now. I guess we'll see what comes next winter but seriously as a team, they've lost a step.

Are they not developing female hockey players anymore?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:01 am

I thought I heard them say there were 6 new faces. No?

They've always had a healthy mix of vets and youth as I recall?

The Americans sure had their number last night though, whatever the makeup is.

Just the beginning of the tournament though.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:41 am

There are four new rookies on Team Canada this year, fiddle. I wonder how much Hayley's retirement has affected the team. For years she was the the leader if not the heart and soul of Team Canada. I imagine the adjustments will take time but the program is solid.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Mowich Mowich:
There are four new rookies on Team Canada this year, fiddle. I wonder how much Hayley's retirement has affected the team. For years she was the the leader if not the heart and soul of Team Canada. I imagine the adjustments will take time but the program is solid.

Is it 4 rookies since the Olympics ? If that's the case that's not much of a turn over going into an Olympic year.

I thought Wickeniser should have gave up her spot after the last Olympic's, she had nothing to gain and they could have been developing a player in the 4 years leading up to Korea.

Actually I thought it was obvious how many steps she had lost at last year's World's, to the point it was awkward to watch but that's just me.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:02 pm

Women caught up, next...the men. Next...20 percent Canadians in hockey. Thats being generous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:21 pm

$1:
Much like Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine and other rookies who stepped into the NHL and immediately made a significant impact this season, the next wave of female hockey players — including

Laura Stacey (Kleinburg, Ont.)

Sarah Potomak (Aldergrove, B.C.)

Erin Ambrose (Keswick, Ont.)

and Renata Fast (Burlington, Ont.) — are hoping to do the same in this week’s tournament.

Actually, hope is not the right word. With the team looking ahead to next year’s Olympics, Canada understands that the younger players will have to step up and carry the torch following Hayley Wickenheiser’s retirement this year.

“They all bring something incredible,” Canada head coach Laura Schuler said. “Laura Stacey’s a big, powerful, strong forward that can score goals for us. Sarah Potomak is one of the leaders in the NCAA in terms of putting the puck in the net. Renata Fast has so much speed to her game and is something that’s going to help us on our blue line to have that added speed there. She’s a player where, even if she gets caught, she’s so fast that she can get back. And Erin Ambrose’s vision is outstanding — just outstanding — where she continues to put points up on the scoreboard for us.”

Youthful turnover in full swing at world championship for Canada’s women’s hockey team

If you click those links for the Rookies above, I think you'll see they've been playing a healthy amount of hockey on their way up. There also appears to be a Canada’s National Women’s Development Team and a Canada’s National Women’s Under-18. However this year's rookies' time with the Canadian National Women's team itself looks like this...

Laura Stacey: Canada’s National Women’s Team: 4GP 1G 1A 2P

Sarah Potoma: Canada’s National Women’s Team: 6GP 0G 1A 1P

Erin Ambrose: Canada’s National Women’s Team: 9GP 0G 3A 3P

Renata Fast: Canada’s National Women’s Team: 8GP 0G 1A 1P

Last edited by N_Fiddledog on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Here's the 2017 roster.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team- ... teamid=179

Looks to me like other than those 4 rookies only Emily Clark, Blayre Turnbull and Halli Krzyzaniak were working their way onto the Women's National team after Canada won Gold in 2014.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:11 am

With the way Canada messed up getting their goalie pulled last night against the Fins, maybe it's a coaching deficity.

A friend said they look like women playing hockey, she said in past years you couldn't tell if they were girls or boys playing. That's a big compliment I thought.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:36 pm

It appears that our ladies may actually win their first game as they lead Russia 7 - 0 late in the 3rd. Nice to see them finally get a W on the board. Haven't been watching the games as they conflict with the World Curling Championship draws - doesn't seem like I missed much though.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm

Watched Canada vs Finland today wherein the Canadians shut-out the Finns 4 - zip. The ladies looked sharp out there today and with the win will play in the Gold Medal game against the winner of the USA vs Germany match which is underway as I write. The Americans got an early goal just over a minute into the 1rst P, so far Germany has yet to answer. 1 - 0 about 5 minutes into the 1rst.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:08 am

The front page here does this weird thing with CTV articles now where you can see them, but not discuss.

So this story is posted there, but some might like to comment so I'll post it here as well:

U.S. beats Canada 3-2 in overtime to capture women's hockey gold