bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:59 am

In Victoria, BC, just moments ago, Canada wins the Men's World Curling Championship. Congratulations to Ferby and his team! They won 11-4 and making history!

Cheer for the best curling team in the world! [B-o]

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:31 pm

Honestly who else plays this game? Come on please.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:43 pm

Here is another update!

$1:
Canada pounds Scotland to win world curling crown
WebPosted Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:59:00 EDT
CBC Sports
Randy Ferbey and his Team Canada rink captured the 2005 men's world curling championship with a whopping 11-4 victory over Scotland's David Murdoch Sunday in Victoria.

FROM APRIL 8, 2005: Canada advances to world curling semis

Team Canada skip Randy Ferbey. (CP File Photo)
"Not bad for a bunch of four burnt-out curlers, hey?" Ferbey told the CBC after the game. "It's unbelievable, it's the pinnacle of what we play for."

It's the third world championship in four years for Ferbey, third Dave Nedohin, second Scott Pfeifer and lead Marcel Rocque. They also won in 2002 and 2003.

RELATED: CBC Championship Curling

Ferbey joins the legendary Saskatchewan family of Ernie Richardson, Arnold Richardson and Sam Richardson with four world titles. Ferbey won a world crown in 1989 playing third with Pat Ryan.

It's also Canada's 22nd world curling championship since 1968.

No one expected a blowout between Scotland, the founding nation of curling, and Canada, which some call the "new home" of curling.

Ferbey's Edmonton-based rink scored five points in two different ends in an eight-end victory in Sunday's final.

Canada got off to a great start with a steal of one in the opening end. Murdoch tried an in-off using his own rock on the outside of the rings, but the roll just slid behind the Canadian shot stone at the button for the single.

Scotland bounced back with a deuce in the second, but Canada quickly put the game out of reach with a remarkable team effort in the third end.

Pfeifer, the team's second, got things going early on when he knocked out a Scottish rock at the top of the rings and rolled his stone behind coverage.

Then, Ferbey made a clean runback to take out two Scotland rocks to sit three Canadian stones.

Murdoch twice attempted to put pressure on the Canadian team by drawing deep to the eight-foot on both of his shots, but both times, Nedohin was ready with clutch shots.

Nedohin made identical tap-backs to get rid of Murdoch's final two stones and give Canada a score of five and a commanding 6-2 lead.

It was the first time any team has scored five in a world championship final.

"It was just one of those ends where all of us made our shots," Ferbey told CBC at the break.

The Canadians blanked the sixth end to take the hammer, or last-rock advantage, into the seventh. The tactic paid off in a big way.

Once again, each member of the Canadian team made their shots and the end result was almost identical to the third end – Nedohin tapped back a Scotland stone to score five and take an insurmountable 11-3 lead.

Murdoch, a 26-year-old dairy farmer from Lockerbie, scored a single in the eighth before shaking hands and conceding the victory.

The link.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:48 pm

NYCisHome NYCisHome:

What!!!! come out of the closet. you know there nothing better than drinking beer and watching Curling 8O EH!!!!!!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:54 pm

WTG [flag]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:05 pm

$1:

Have you been living in a cave? I suggest you know a little bit more of curling and how many people play/watch it. I used to think the same, but once I watched and read about it more it turned out to be a really popular sport. Maybe not in the U.S where you are from, but for people up north it is way different! :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:14 pm

Stellar Stellar:
$1:

Have you been living in a cave? I suggest you know a little bit more of curling and how many people play/watch it. I used to think the same, but once I watched and read about it more it turned out to be a really popular sport. Maybe not in the U.S where you are from, but for people up north it is way different! :D

C'mon it's on par with bowling, ZZzzzzz

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Boston Bruins
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:22 pm

That's pretty good of them, especially since they had a rough start. I watched it a bit on CBC late at night when nothing else was on.... LOL.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:32 pm

well if you guys find it fun caongrats then.

But i say LETS GO YANKS. lets put the 27th world series away in October. so glad baseball started.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:01 pm

curling isn't the most fun sport on the planet to watch, but it is fun to play. Kinda like baseball, I'd rather watch paint dry than watch a game on TV, but I do enjoy playing the game.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:34 pm

Some one told me its alot like bocci which I love to play.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:30 am

Yeh for curling, the lamest sport in the world (obviously canadian)