bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 am

bootlegga wrote:
Brenda wrote:
Doesn't change anything for me. He chose a sport (or was born with the talent, which ever suits your fancy) that is not popular here (in the West), as opposed to in his native country, Korea or Japan(and I mean that in the most positive way).

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong on this Brenda. When Elvis Stokjo and Kurt Browning did well at the Olympic and world championship stages (consistently too), they were feted as national heroes and got tons of press and accolades. I know it's before your time here in Canada, but in the 90s, figure skating was HUGE because of their successes.

It's not that he chose a sport that isn't popular, his problem is that he didn't win a medal in the 2010 Olympics. If he can get a medal in Sochi in 2014, as well as rack up a couple more world championships, then he'll get the kudos he feels he deserves. Until then, he's just another guy in the sport.

BTW, his heritage is Chinese, not Korean or Japanese.

I didn't say it was. I mentioned those countries because figure skaters get the respect he wants there:

Caelon's link wrote:
Last summer, Chan toured Asia to perform in a series of figure skating shows. Japan, China and Korea are all currently experiencing the kind of skating mania that Canada enjoyed in the 1990s. At the Grand Prix Final in Seoul, Korea in December of 2008, Olympic champion Scott Moir told me he felt like a rock star there, complete with screaming fans.

BTW the '90-s was even before HIS time. He was born in the '90-s

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:07 am

What Chan fails to see is that the entire sport of figure skating is a sham. The beloved skaters in recent Canadian history (Orser, Browning, Stojko) were skating before the judging scandal broke. Back then, even those of us who weren't fans of figure skating at least were hopeful that our athletes would do well at Worlds and the Olympics. But then we all learned what a shady crock of shit the sport's judging was and the casual fan stopped caring. I would suggest that the reason why Chan's stardom isn't on par with Browning's is more a factor of general disinterest and disgust with the entire sport rather than any particular bias against Chan. Sorry, dude, you were born late.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 pm

sorry Patrick but if you want everyone to suck your dick, you gotta bring home the goods. maybe the chinese do things differently, but Canadians celebrate winning, not losing.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:00 pm

Brenda wrote:
I'm a woman and a mom, I feel unappreciated too. Boo-f*cking-hoo. Get a life. :roll:

:mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:06 pm

BRAH wrote:
Brenda wrote:
I'm a woman and a mom, I feel unappreciated too. Boo-f*cking-hoo. Get a life. :roll:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

Smooooooth, Brah, smoooooooth :P

CKA Elite
CKA Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:07 pm

r_p wrote:
sorry Patrick but if you want everyone to suck your dick, you gotta bring home the goods. maybe the chinese do things differently, but Canadians celebrate winning, not losing.

That is funny!

Well Patrick you whiny bitch, count your blessings you live in a country where you get the opprotunity to piss and moan about something like being a figure skater. You are lucky your parents came to Canada, otherwise you'd be jammed into a tar paper hut making reebok running shoes for shit nickels. Shut the hell up.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Brenda wrote:
BRAH wrote:
Brenda wrote:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Brenda wrote:
BRAH wrote:
Brenda wrote:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL