canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:15 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/2003/06 ... s/hhof0611
CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Grant Fuhr, Pat LaFontaine, Mike Illitch and Brian Kilrea will join Hockey's Hall of Fame.

Grant Fuhr backstopped the Oilers to four Stanley Cups in the 1980s.
The Hall's selection committee decided on this year's inductees at a meeting on Wednesday.

Fuhr played 19 seasons with the Edmonton Oilers, Buffalo Sabres, Toronto Maple Leafs, Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues and Calgary Flames. He sits sixth on the NHL's all-time list with 403 career wins.

Probably the most accomplished goaltender of the mid-80s, Fuhr backstopped the Oilers to four Stanley Cup championships. He also won a fifth Cup in 1990 as Bill Ranford's backup in Edmonton.

"I am extremely excited to join some of my Oiler teammates in the Hockey Hall of Fame" said Fuhr.

"After watching the Oilers as a kid play in the WHA in my hometown, I was extremely fortunate to join a very special group of hockey players on a team that had great success."

LaFontaine played 15 seasons in the NHL, breaking in with the New York Islanders in 1984 after a stint with the U.S. Olympic team. He also played for the Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers.

Pat LaFontaine, shown here in a Sabres uniform in April 1996, recorded 468 goals and 1013 points in 15 NHL seasons. (CP Photo)

A five time all-star, LaFontaine's best season came in 1992-93, when he scored 53 goals and recorded 95 assists.

LaFontaine's career was plagued concussions and he retired in 1998 having recorded 468 goals and 1013 points. Only two other American-born players have eclipsed 1000-point plateau.

"It's a tremendous honour," LaFontaine told Canadian Press.

"To be in such an exclusive club is overwhelming,"

Ilitch, who owns the Little Caesar's pizza chain, bought the Detroit Red Wings for $8 million US in 1982. Under his ownership the Wings have thrived, becoming one of the league's most dominant teams over the last decade.

"Hockey is a great sport and it has been a delight for me to be associated with the quality of people involved in the game," said Ilitch.

"I am proud to have supported amateur hockey and proud of the Red Wings' organization we have built in Detroit over the past 20 years."

Brian Kilrea is the CHL's most successful coach, with more than 1000 wins to his credit. (CP Photo)

Kilrea is the Canadian Hockey League's winningest coach and the first in junior hockey to reach 1,000 victories. He is a four-time OHL Coach of the Year, and has won the OHL Championship three times and the Memorial Cup twice, including 1999 in Ottawa.

The 68-year-old from Ottawa just finished his 26th season behind the 67's bench.

In recognition of his importance to the development of junior hockey, the Canadian Hockey League's coaching award was re-named the Brian Kilrea Trophy.

Guy Carbonneau, Dino Ciccarelli, Glenn Anderson and Brian Bellows were among other players eligible for induction.

Written by CBC News Online staff

GOOD FOR HIM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:12 pm

Fuhr could have been better a little longer if he had laid off the coke. Still worthy though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:49 pm

Grant Fuhr would have Had more wins and could have been in the top 3,if not #1 here are my thoughts

1.He had bad shoulders and knees from the start of his career.
2.For four or five years he split games with Andy Moog,but was the go to guy in the playoffs.
3.The oilers of the 1980,s were winnng game 7 -6 most nights,which do not help your goals avg, you do not get any respect around the nhl.
4. drug abouse.

P.S Fuhr would have started the 90 playoffs if he had not hurt his shoulder at the end of the season.

long time oiler fan wheels :) :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:00 pm

Those Oiler teams were great. IMO the greatest team since I was born, and before. No current team could touch them.