bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:53 pm

HOWZAT! - British Soldier's victory in earthquake cricket match
Published Monday 19th December 2005

As the England Cricket Test team rested before their next international against Pakistan, another Englishman took to the field in the earthquake ravaged town of Bagh, Pakistan.

Signaller Tim Herrnicht was invited to watch the local Sunday cricket match with members of Britain's 59 Independent Commando Squadron Royal Engineers, who are building winter shelters in isolated mountain villages. The match, between Bagh's Iqra Pilot High School and the Degree School was intended to help rehabilitate the devastated community after October's earthquake, and to bring some normality and fun back into the youngsters' lives. Iqra's Captain and English teacher, Syed Ali, approached the British soldiers for an additional team member.

Tim, from Southampton, was a keen cricketer at school and was more than willing to join in the match. He soon found himself playing in front of four hundred spectators including Major General Qasim, the Pakistani Officer in charge of the area since the earthquake.

Tim had an exceptional performance in the outfield, but his bowling struggled to come to terms with the wicket and was dispatched several times to the boundary by some enthusiastic batting. However with a total of 234 to beat, it was Tim, batting in the middle order, who helped to partner a gripping finale with his opposite scoring three sixes in three balls to seal victory.

Tim became an immediate local celebrity acknowledging huge cheers from the crowd when he received his trophy from Gen Qasim and being interviewed by a local television station.

Captain of the team, Syed Ali said:

"I think Tim had problems bowling on the wicket, but he is a very good fielder and a solid batsman. I hope he plays for us next time."

Tim said:

"What an experience! One minute I am helping with earthquake relief operations, the next I am playing cricket in front of hundreds of people... Their standard of bowling is incredible, so fast. It was a privilege to have been asked to play."
---------------------------------------------------------------

Signaller Tim Herrnicht fielding for Iqra Pilot High School as they take another wicket [Picture: PO Phot Ian Richards].
-------------------------------------------
Signaller Tim Herrnicht bowls to a member of the Degree School [Picture: PO Phot Ian Richards].
------------------------------------------

Tim helps score the winning runs [Picture: PO Phot Ian Richards].
--------------------------------------------
The winning team: Iqra Pilot High School and Signaller Tim Herrnicht [Picture: PO Phot Ian Richards].