Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 am

coltsrmint2 wrote:
Peru would be awesome. You live close to the island, try getting over and ride in Hartland landfil. Super technical and some pretty steep stuff too. Mount Washington in the Comox valley is really good too. Hit the bike shop in Cumberland and they will set you on some really good tracks...

I have been to Mt. Washingont twice, its ok, kinda small. I actualy bought a trail guide book for all of Vancouver island, plan to do more riding there next year since my parents, cousins and brother live over there.

WDHIII wrote:
Downhill is the way to go - dont really get much of an adrenaline rush riding over Cow paddies altho I do take the hybrid (cause thats all you really need) on the trails once in a while when I wanna slum. :wink:

Nice, I had my first bike stolen so I got my curent Devinci Frantik. I kinda regret not getting a more beefy downhiller liek the Devinci Wilson. It makes having a second bike for cross-country more practical when there is a wider weight bap.

I plan on doing a road trip to the rockes, Kicking Horse and Fernie next summer. Golden isnt that far a drive from Calgary.... :)

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:14 pm

WDHIII wrote:
Downhill is the way to go - dont really get much of an adrenaline rush riding over Cow paddies altho I do take the hybrid (cause thats all you really need) on the trails once in a while when I wanna slum. :wink:

Got the full out downhill, a Norco Launch

and Im thinkin about buyin my nephews old Norco shore Hardtail.

Got a Raleigh Serengetti and an 15+ year old Norco 15speed hangin in the garage when Im feelin a little too beat up :lol:

wow, I was going to say that those are some pretty heavy handle bars.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

stevenson088 wrote:
Mountain biking is thrilling, adventurous, and exciting. And the workout you will receive is excellent for endurance and cardiovascular health. To fully enjoy mountain biking you must have the proper clothing and accessories.

Would that be a stickybelt?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 am

Just let my get my shovel so I can dig up this dead thread...

Now I have been out of the cycling scene since 2004 or so, and now that I live out in the backwoods I was hoping on getting back into it. I've got a budget of around 200-250 Max and have been looking through Kijiji for used bikes. Could CKA help me find a decent bike out there?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

Who? :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:46 am

8) Im relying on the charity of others; so that those willing from the forum will be able to share their vast cycling knowledge with me. [kissass]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:12 am

Guy_Fawkes wrote:
Just let my get my shovel so I can dig up this dead thread...

Now I have been out of the cycling scene since 2004 or so, and now that I live out in the backwoods I was hoping on getting back into it. I've got a budget of around 200-250 Max and have been looking through Kijiji for used bikes. Could CKA help me find a decent bike out there?

I know a lot about bikes, tho mountain bikes aren't my interest. But simply, at that budget you won't get much of a bike if you're into the more hardcore mountain biking. If you just want a bike to tootle around on, then you should be OK. I would not get a rear suspension bike - that's always a weak point. Even the front suspension fork is where you will find problems first with a low end used bike. But all the manufacturers make OK bikes you'll be able to buy for that price - it's not like a car where one is better than another. The components will be made by Shimano anyway. Look at the frame of the bike to determine if it's been bent or damaged in any way and stay away from any bike with frame damage. No dings in the frame either. Then just ride the bike and see if it seems to shift properly, the wheels seem true, the brakes stop, etc. Ride off some curbs or such to see how the fork absorbs the shock - does it bottom out? Look for oil leaks on the fork to show if the seals are gone. And then be prepared to possibly have to put a few bucks into the bike to put it in good running order. As long as the frame and wheels are OK, that won't be a huge sum. I would stay away from hydraulic disc brakes - again too much complexity that can cause problems. V brakes are probably a better choice for your price point.

But why so cheap? Usually I've found when I went cheap I've regretted it later. I'm not saying you need a $5000 bike, but maybe move up the scale a bit? It's one thing if you''re a starving student looking for transportation. But if you earn a decent income and are just trying to to not waste money, you may find you regret spending the lower amount and not being happy with what you get. OTOH, it's true there can be some real bargains out there in used bikes - bikes just don't hold their value at all.

Oh, and buy from a name manufacturer, no Canadian Tire bikes or such. Too many good manufacturers to list here, so if you have a question about a particular bike, I'd be happy to give my opinion.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 am

I'll have to post some of the kijiji adds I have been checking out. The trails around are nothing challenging so getting a high end bike would be over doing I think. Since its winter people are quite reasonable with their prices; having to pay off credit cards and the such.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm a road bike guy. Trees, stumps, wet trails and bikes don't seem to go well together.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:33 pm

I've thought of getting a road bike but that would be something I would want to save up for and spend close to 500 on. Moutain bikes are common and go for cheap used road bikes not so much.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Regina wrote:
I'm a road bike guy. Trees, stumps, wet trails and bikes don't seem to go well together.

Not without some serious extended health insurance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Guy_Fawkes wrote:
I've thought of getting a road bike but that would be something I would want to save up for and spend close to 500 on. Moutain bikes are common and go for cheap used road bikes not so much.

Only the 'Yugo' variety really.

My buddy owns a moutain bike store and the good ones are over %1500 for both mountain and road. Over $2500 if you're looking for high end.

My hybrid cost me $400 a few years back but it's meant having to do upgrades every so often. I might buy higher end next time.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Gunnair wrote:
Regina wrote:

Not without some serious extended health insurance.

:lol: Yeah! We can ask Trevor about that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Gunnair wrote:
Guy_Fawkes wrote:

Only the 'Yugo' variety really.

My buddy owns a moutain bike store and the good ones are over %1500 for both mountain and road. Over $2500 if you're looking for high end.

My hybrid cost me $400 a few years back but it's meant having to do upgrades every so often. I might buy higher end next time.

Yup. When I've sold a bike, which were always in very good condition, I would price it at half of original value or less, otherwise is just won't move. So it's quite possible to get a $1500 bike in pretty decent shape for $500.

But, here's http://www.konaworld.com/mtb_trail_allm ... nt=blast#2 a Kona Blast with Alivio level components for $999 that maybe he could get for $300 used. (I don't mean that bike, it's just an example). Personally I would want to hold out for LX/X7 level of components, but not everybody is as fussy about that.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite