TSN  67%  [ 10 ]
Roger Sportsnet  33%  [ 5 ]
RDS  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Author Topic Options
Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Each network has their own qualities. 8)

I mostly like The Score and TSN for the most part. I sometimes watch the Alouettes on RDS, the commentators are great. Roger Sportnet has Martine Gaillard and TSN has Jen and Ms. Horton. :)

TSN Sportcentre is a good show IMO, especially Top 10. They also have the WSOP that's pretty cool. And the fact that they got all CFL games is even greater. :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:37 pm

TSN used to piss me off when they wouldn't show say, a Flames vs Ducks game, and would replay 30 year old boxing matches instead :roll:
I still prefer them to the others though

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

We have sports networks other than TSN?

Shit. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 pm

If you're a baseball fan, your answer is Rogers Sportsnet. Now, sure, partly that is selling its own brand, but Sportsnet's baseball coverage is unparalleled. They usually have a game at 7:00pm and another at 10:00pm daily and frequently have three or four choices per day, as well as occassional afternoon games.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:46 pm

Rogers sportsnet also carries english premiership games as well.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm

DerbyX wrote:

Well, no one can offer quality programming 24-7.

Last edited by Lemmy on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm

Rogers, with TSN coming in second. Rogers is professional and high-class all the way. I'd even prefer CBC to The Score. Those urban hipster doofuses with all their terminally unfunny and pathetically smarmy pop culture phrases and terminology at The Score really irritate the living hell out of me. When I accidentally tune in to those assholes they have on in the afternoon doing those absolutely obnoxious call-in/text-in shows I'd like to fly down to Toronto with an Uzi and shoot everyone in their studio. Especially that total choade Cam Stewart, what a fucking goofy prick that guy is. If it weren't for the WWE wrestling shows, their NHL Round-Up with Kouleas, and some of the British soccer that they have I'd almost be tempted to have The Score deleted altogether from my cable bundle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:02 pm

I'll go with Sportsnet first, but for soccer coverage I'll go with The Score. Their soccer guy (James sharman) is WAY better than the goons on SN, even though he is goddman Scousers fan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:03 pm

xerxes wrote:
I'll go with Sportsnet first, but for soccer coverage I'll go with The Score. Their soccer guy (James sharman) is WAY better than the goons on SN, even though he is goddman Scousers fan.

Hey. So am I. :evil:

Bloody manc. :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:17 am

My own show...but it is not on TV....but goddamn I do a fucking fantastic play by play...I really should have my own show.

Sportsnet is the far superior of them all.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:16 am

DerbyX wrote:

And CL games and the NFL.

TSN is okay if you like hockey and curling.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:34 am

Out of those options I would say Sportsnet has better analysis and commentary for hockey, though TSN is still pretty good.

CBC is still the best for hockey hands down.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:27 am

This article says it all for me.

On the media

Ian Busby's weekly look a the people who cover the games we love to follow

Hard to believe it's been only 25 years since Canada didn't have an all-sports television network.

An entire generation doesn't realize there was a time when highlights were only on the late local news, and if the government broadcaster didn't cover your team, you didn't see it.

So with TSN celebrating its 25th anniversary with a cross-Canada tour, we honour them with a dose of their own medicine: A top 10 list.

Here are the top 10 influences from a quarter-century of TSN:

10. Sports talk radio on TV: Before Off The Record with Michael Lansberg debuted in September 1997, a full-time sports talk show on national Canadian airwaves was rare. It is now Canada's longest-running talk show.

9. Commentary from ice level: The 1-up, 1-down seemed like a gimmick, but now broadcasters in the U.S. have started experimenting with putting colour analysts closer to the action. Say what you want about Pierre McGuire's style, the hockey colourman gets a unique perspective from ice level.

8. Men can look good wearing lipstick: There is a bit more to Darren Dutchyshen's legacy than his catch phrase "Back-to-back jacks," and that is his bright lipstick. When TSN was one of two specialty channels to go HD in 2003, Dutchie's lipstick shined a bit brighter.

7. NHL trade deadline day: Without TSN (and later Sportsnet) going live for the countdown, there is no telling whether NHL teams would actually make as many moves as they do. It seems NHL general managers don't want to face the cameras and say they did nothing to improve their teams.

6. Top 10 list: There is a segment called Highlight of the Night during SportsCentre, but the real must-see is the Top 10. It's not an original idea, but since TSN is able to tap into ESPN's vast library, they have a wealth of interesting clips.

5. Monkey prognosticating: Talk about going out on top. Maggie the Monkey has retired from her gig as NHL playoff prognosticator after picking the Penguins to win last year's Stanley Cup.

4. Propping up the CFL: There was a time when the CFL didn't get its games onto TV until Labour Day, and then only selected outings each week were featured. When the CFL nearly died a few years ago, TSN was there to help it through.

3. Rescuing talent from CBC: When Chris Cuthbert was dumped by the government broadcaster during the NHL lockout, TSN jumped at the chance to get the likeable play-by-play man. Cuthbert immediately went to work on NHL and CFL broadcasts. Brian Williams followed as TSN and CTV won the Olympic bid for 2010.

2. World Juniors: Long before it became a holiday tradition, TSN sent crews to the annual hockey tournament in far off places. The event still doesn't resonate in the rest of the world, but TSN gave Canadians a reason to get up on Boxing Day morning.

1. The TSN Turning Point: It started as a simple part of live broadcasts as a way to recap the most important moment. It now gets used outside the sports world. Saying the words 'turning point' have become difficult without adding TSN to the phrase.

That's it. In the words of Vic Rauter, "Make the final," a win for The Sports Network. Congrats on 25 years.

ian.busby@sunmedia.ca

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:03 pm

All pretty good points. It is pretty much a matter of preference.

Although it seems Thanos' love for The Score is pretty obvious. :lol:

I personally prefer TSN overall. There are segments from the others, Sportsnet and The Score that I like. NFL coverage and highlights, not necessarily the games themselves, on The Score is pretty good. As for Sportsnet, as Lemmy pointed out, is good for baseball fans. Of course, RDS is simply a French version of TSN, but they have all the Habs' games.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm

It all looks good on my brand new TV [drool]

Attachment:
sam.png
sam.png [ 78.83 KiB | Viewed 77 times ]