Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:26 am

NHL to consider outdoor game

Sarah O'Donnell, Civic Affairs Writer
Edmonton Journal

Friday, September 20, 2002

EDMONTON -- In a move that would take big-time hockey back to its outdoor roots, the Edmonton Oilers are trying to convince the National Hockey League to let them play one game a season under the open sky.

An excited Mayor Bill Smith said Friday that beginning in November 2004, the Oilers want to play one regular season game in Commonwealth Stadium on a specially-created outdoor rink.

An Edmonton-Calgary face-off would be the first game, he said, followed by five more years of games against teams from the league's original six like Toronto, Montreal, Boston and New York.

"I think people will pack the place," Smith said, when asked if Edmontonians would buy into spending three periods outdoors in November's often chilly clime. "Never has there been a National Hockey League Game outside - in a football stadium. Just think about it. It would be exciting. I bet we have 50,000 to 60,000 people, easy."

Oiler and city officials will meet as early as next week to discuss the logistics of transforming the playing field at Commonwealth Stadium into an outdoor rink, Smith said.

But while Smith excitedly discussed the idea Friday, both League and Oilers officials played coy. Allan Watt, Oilers VP of marketing and communications, said the team is discussing the idea with the league.

"We said that we would be interested in having something outside at Commonwealth Stadium," Watt said. "There are only two things you can really do. One of them is to play a regular season game and the other one is to play an All-Star Game."

© Copyright 2002 Edmonton Journal

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:33 pm

Silly as it may sound, I'd pay money to see that.. 60,000 to see a hockey game out side...

Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:09 pm

I think a hockey game out side with a huge crowd ... sounds like a real awesome time ... I would go but have a huge rink to cross :cry:
You know come to think about it ... :idea: The Swedes play a outdoor game called BANDI ... the rink is the size of a football field ... hard rubber ball ... hockey sticks & gear ... goalie saves only with mitt ... it's a really fast game.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:00 am

:D Finally! The way the sport was meant to be paid and it is being done by Canada: the owner of hockey. I'd love to see this happen.

Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:02 am

Yes I hope it works out :D The Battle of Alberta would give it a whole new meaning to hockey ... I've been to so many CFL games in the fall and a huge crowd could keep you warm .... :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:02 pm

Has any one heard any more about this ? ? ?