canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:39 am

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - A prolonged work stoppage could mean no NHL players at the 2006 Turin Olympic Winter Games.

According to International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel, the NHL will not break for the Olympics if it fails to resolve its labour dispute by January 2005.
No NHL season may mean no 2006 Turin Olympics for NHL players.

Fasel revealed to reporters Monday that, during a recent conversation, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman "said clearly to me that if there's no 2004-05 NHL season, then he cannot take a break for the Olympics the season after."

Remarked NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly: "We've taken no official position on the subject and don't intend to. We have told the IIHF that scheduling an Olympic break in the 2005-06 season would be especially challenging in the event the 2004-05 season has been cancelled in its entirety.

"But at this point, we are not prepared to rule anything out."

Neither is Fasel, who would welcome back NHL players in an Olympic minute.

"One hundred per cent I would," he said. "But they just don't know right now.

"This labour dispute is taking a lot of their energy. To be honest, we are not a very important part of their discussions."

Fasel acknowledged, however, that national federations will need time to develop proper replacement programs should NHL stars not take part.

"We need the answer, yes or no, so our federations can begin to assemble their teams," Fasel said, mindful that NHLers played in the 1998 Nagano Games and 2002 Salt Lake Games.

"It will be a great tournament in Turin, either way. But it would be bad for our national federations not to have their best players available."

The NHL and NHL Players' Association reportedly remain far apart on a new collective bargaining agreement.

The current CBA expires Wednesday at midnight EST, and the league is threatening to lock out players until a new pact is negotiated.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:13 pm

Hockey and basketball....are they the only sports where 'professional' athlets can compete in the olympics? I thought athletes who were paid for their sport prior to the games could not enter.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:13 pm

I don't think the lockout will last that long. With the way we've been winning hockey tournaments the last few years, I bet the NHL players would show up no matter what.

Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:30 pm

They get paid way too much. Look at the cost of tickets. Why should working class people pay so much for a ticket so they can make ridiculous amounts of money?