Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:51 am

He may go to Celtic (the club he supported as a kid) and is in Glasgow today to watch the Old Firm clash.

Newcastle, Everton and Wigan are also keen on him.

Bust-ups lead to Keane departure

by MATT LAWTON, Daily Mail

19th November 2005

Kicked out: Roy Keane

Roy Keane was forced out of Manchester United after Sir Alex Ferguson decided he no longer had a place for him in his team.

While official statements from Keane, Ferguson and the club insisted the split had been mutually agreed, the Irishman's departure after 12 years at Old Trafford came after United's manager blocked him from making his comeback on Thursday night.

Events moved so fast that the club skipper was at a loss yesterday as to what to do with his future.

Keane, who had been sidelined for two months with a broken foot, woke on Thursday believing he would be playing for the reserves against West Bromwich Albion at Hyde. But Ferguson phoned to say he would not be playing.

According to a senior United source, Ferguson had decided he could no longer accommodate the 34-year-old after a series of bust-ups this season, the most notable coming as a result of a Keane interview with the club's official television station. He was so critical of team-mates it was never broadcast.

It did prompt a players' meeting at which Ferguson is thought to have accused Keane of bringing the club into disrepute. In reply, Keane curt ly reminded the manager of the damage caused by the Rock of Gibraltar racehorse controversy.

The senior source said: "Alex has obviously been seething for weeks. But while Roy was injured he was able to continue much as normal. When, however, the time arrived for Roy to return to the team, the manager felt he had to act."

Players devastated by the news

Keane and his lawyer, Michael Kennedy, had already arranged to meet Ferguson and United chief executive David Gill at the club's Carrington training ground yesterday morning.

But what Keane is said to have thought would be a clear-the-air meeting developed into a far more serious and emotional discussion, with both Keane and Ferguson agreeing they had no future together.

Players and the United hierarchy were said to be devastated by the news.

Keane could yet return to Old Trafford, possibly as a member of the coaching staff, but only after Ferguson has gone.

The Scot has demonstrated that he remains the most important man at the club, but never has he been under such pressure during his 19-year tenure. Fans will no doubt express their dismay at Charlton today.

Ferguson said: "Roy Keane has been a fantastic servant for Manchester United. The best midfield player in the world of his generation, he is already one of the great figures in our club's illustrious history. Roy has been central to the success of the club in the last 12 years."

Keane then said: "It has been a great honour and privilege for me to play for Manchester United. I have been fortunate to play alongside some of the best players in the game in front of the best supporters in the world.

"While it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and manage r I believe the time has come for me to move on. After so many years, I will miss everyone at the club."

Keane, who has had the remaining seven months of his contract paid up, is not ruling out retirement as a player. A number of clubs have already expressed an interest in him. Yesterday, it is believed, he even received an offer to become a manager.

It is thought he does not fancy the prospect of managing the Republic of Ireland at present.

While Celtic will be favourites to sign him - it is thought there was also contact yesterday - a rival English club remain a possibility.

Amid frenzied speculation among players at Old Trafford, there was even talk of him moving to Arsenal. Newcastle, Everton and Wigan would also be keen.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:16 am

Aaaagh! Who can fill this man's boots at this time, just when they're showing some signs of getting it together again?
Could Bex be ready to return from Real?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:33 am

Allright!

The decline of ManUre continues apace!

But c'mon, why wouldn't it end this way for Keane? This is how it always ends for him.

Link
Link

YNWA!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:43 am

I don't like seeing Arsenal mentioned - they've already have their problems and do NOT need Keane around. I'd like to see him go to Celtic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:09 pm

I was wondering when his big mouth would get him in trouble. I hate seeing him end his career with United like this though.

The hell of it is, he was right. When he gave that interview, there were players on the team who weren't giving their all. Now they are.