Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Till a sub-forum shows up for autoracing, this'll have to do.

Quote:
Nationwide Series shake-up long overdue
Carl Edwards will not win the Nationwide Series championship this year. Defending champ Brad Keselowski won't either, nor will any other Sprint Cup driver unless he wants to give up his chance at the Cup title.
NASCAR reportedly has taken a big step in the right direction by telling drivers they can race for only one series championship. Each driver must indicate in which series he plans to race for the title before the season starts.

Consequently, it appears the days of full-time Cup drivers winning the Nationwide crown are over. A Cup regular has won the Nationwide title the past five seasons, something that never happened before 2006.

The new rule would give Nationwide-only drivers a chance to gain more recognition and attention. It also would discourage Cup stars from racing in all the Nationwide events, although Edwards and Keselowski both still plan to do so this year.

That could create some problems. With no limit on the number of Nationwide events in which Cup drivers can compete, Cup drivers still will win most of the Nationwide events.

They won't earn any points and can't win the title, but it's possible the series could have a winless champion in 2011 while a Cup driver like Kyle Busch could win 10 races or more.

In the long run, Cup drivers may compete in fewer Nationwide events because sponsors won't have as much incentive to back them. If a sponsor knows going in that Edwards can't win the title, the sponsor might back off.

If that's the case, so be it. It's a temporary financial loss for the betterment of the series. Sponsors will start backing the Nationwide-only drivers when they become better known as championship contenders.

People often say the Nationwide Series needs the Cup stars to help put fans in the stands. Fans want to see the drivers they know.

It's flawed logic. If drivers like Justin Allgaier, Steve Wallace and Trevor Bayne were winning races and competing for the title, they would become better known and build a bigger following.

That hasn't happened in recent years because Cup stars have dominated the series, making it little more than a Cup practice session. This also has hindered the development of young drivers, whose seat time is limited because Cup regulars are in many of the Nationwide cars.

The reported rule change would give the Nationwide Series a chance to move back to what it was meant to be, a Triple-A feeder league where up-and-coming drivers make a name for themselves.

It also was a league where teams that didn't have the money to race at the Cup level could race competitively in Nationwide, formerly known as the Busch Series.

The increased involvement by Cup teams in the series has made it more difficult for underfunded teams to compete, but the new ruling will force Cup team owners to use more Nationwide-only drivers in the series.

Bobby Labonte, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Matt Kenseth, Brian Vickers and Greg Biffle all are examples of drivers who won Nationwide titles before they became full-time Cup drivers.

Cup regulars were competing in the Nationwide series those years, but they weren't running the full Nationwide schedule.

Hopefully, any rule change will lead to better opportunities for young drivers and discourage Cup stars from racing full-time in a league where they don't belong.

'bout time. Cup drivers use this as a practise session, pushing young up an comers to the side.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm

I used to love NASCAR, until The Intimidator died. I loved F1, until Schumacher came along. When it is nothing but same old, same old, it just gets boring.

But I do think it's a step in the right direction for NASCAR. How can the sport improve without a 'minor league' ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Exactly. The Sprint guys have been dominating it for years to the point that the talent pool that omes up to Cup usually has a handful of wins or more likely, a handful of top tens and top fives. Minimal experience and they're shoved into multi-million dollar contracts. Yep, I hope this helps.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Quote:
It's flawed logic. If drivers like Justin Allgaier, Steve Wallace and Trevor Bayne were winning races and competing for the title, they would become better known and build a bigger following.

Very short term thinking, glad it's changing.

Hope they do the same for the Truck Series, it's so much better racing
without Crybaby Bush.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:59 pm

martin14 wrote:
Quote:

Very short term thinking, glad it's changing.

Hope they do the same for the Truck Series, it's so much better racing
without Crybaby Bush.

Agreed. I really like the truck series, but it gets little airtime. I'd like to see a station pick it up, though Speed is covering some of the races.

Any series that loses Busch is a good series. Big whiner.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:50 pm

romanP wrote:
You're all a bunch of racists!

Hey, Ice Owl...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm

romanP wrote:
Surprise! You didn't get the joke!

Who's the retard now!

You are... still.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:00 pm

romanP wrote:
Oh, Gunnair, always the sore loser.

Uh no, always the happy winner, sport.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Quote:
5 DRIVERS I'M WATCHING IN 2011

There’s a reason everyone loves a new year. For those who experienced adversity or failure in the year prior, they get fresh start; a clean slate fresh for writing a new chapter to the story. For the young, it’s an opportunity to further build on the foundation that’s been set; perhaps a rite of passage to maturity is in store.

NASCAR drivers are no different. For Jimmie Johnson, 2010 further built his legacy. For Denny Hamlin, it was a breakout year. Jamie McMurray experienced a season of redemption. Kevin Harvick came back. On the other end of the scale, Jeff Gordon came so close, yet so far. It was another season of frustration for NASCAR’s favorite son -- Dale Earnhardt, Jr. 2010 was a lost season for Brian Vickers.

There are plenty of story lines ready for 2011. Here are five I have my eye on…..

Carl Edwards. Two season-end victories ended a protracted drought for the 2008 runner-up. The vast majority of Edwards’ season was proof of how a perfectly good driver is running in wet cement without a horse to ride. What happens in the shop during the off-season can change everything, however Edwards may be very well poised to dethrone Johnson.

Denny Hamlin. You NFL fans have heard about the “Super Bowl Hangover”; the phenomenon where a team comes so close and misses it and then is so deflated they struggle the following year. Hamlin takes losing hard, very hard. How will this affect the 2010 runner-up in ‘11? That may be the real test of maturity for series leader in wins (8).

Joey Logano. While most were focused on the tight chase race between Jimmie Johnson, Denny Hamlin and Kevin Harvick, the phenom wrapped up 2010 with five top tens in his last six races. This season will be his third at the Cup level, often the time when we really begin to get a sense of a driver’s potential. Something else to watch where Logano is concerned is how he handles future “incidents” with other drivers. Some say he went from one extreme to another; from a pushover to a pugilist. Will other competitors try and/or succeed at getting in his head?

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. His harshest critics say he’s NASCAR’s 7-Up. You know, “Never had it, never will.” That dismisses what was at one point, a very promising career before stalling out. Rick Hendrick has shaken the HMS etch-a-sketch to try to get any driver not named Jimmie kick-started, with a special emphasis on trying to get Junior going good again. This may be Earnhardt’s last shot at relevance. He can do it, the talent is there. But will he?

Jimmie Johnson. Huh? Sooner or later his run of dominance will end, but will this be the year? Conventional wisdom says “no,” but we’re neither conventional, nor suffer the burden of being wise, so we’ll see. He got raced hard last year, and someday, they’ll catch the five-time champion.

I agree with JJ because, well he's a five time consecutive champion. I don't by Logano as he hasn't shown much, just like Jr. With Edwards, will see if he takes his end of season success into the next season.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:09 pm

romanP wrote:
Winners don't sulk.

True, they post warning signs about losers like yourself, Ice owl.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:57 pm

I don't think its fair for the critics to say Jr. never had it. He had great potential when he came on the scene. Its not easy to watch your father die in a crash, and then be expected to fill the shoes of one of the greatest drivers that ever lived. Not many among us could live up to those expectations. The crash at Infineon in 2004 didn't help matters either. When you almost burn to death in a car crash, a fear of death is certain to set in. You can't have a fear of dying and be at the top of your game in motorsports. Politics,fighting with his stepmother,unrealisticly high expectations,and instant rockstar status is to much burden for anyone to bear. He needs to clear his head of all the bullshit distrtactions. Get his head back in the game,and drive like I know he is capable of doing.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Nascar... I think Jeff Dunham and Bubba J about cover my view of it. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:05 pm

rickc wrote:
I don't think its fair for the critics to say Jr. never had it. He had great potential when he came on the scene. Its not easy to watch your father die in a crash, and then be expected to fill the shoes of one of the greatest drivers that ever lived. Not many among us could live up to those expectations. The crash at Infineon in 2004 didn't help matters either. When you almost burn to death in a car crash, a fear of death is certain to set in. You can't have a fear of dying and be at the top of your game in motorsports. Politics,fighting with his stepmother,unrealisticly high expectations,and instant rockstar status is to much burden for anyone to bear. He needs to clear his head of all the bullshit distrtactions. Get his head back in the game,and drive like I know he is capable of doing.

It's odd about sons of great drivers. Kyle Petty never ended up doing much with their careers. Jr started great, maintained even after his Dad died. I think it was the nonsense at DEI that started the downhill plunge, and I think Theresa had some insight when she said Jr had to make up his mind and chose between drivers and sponsers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 am

rickc wrote:

It seems the sons never really live up to the fathers.
Junior started ok, but you could see he never really had the killer instinct the old man had, and I'll agree that money got in the way for both Kyle and Junior.

The old man had other crashes before Daytona, didnt slow him down much.
Senior died with his boots on doing what he loved, I can think of many worse ways to go.

It kind of sucks to watch Junior lead one or two laps on yellow, everyone gets excited, then immediately after green he starts to drop back.
The Four Horsemen should have cured him of DEI, but it hasn't.
He cannot now complain of shitty equipment, so it really is just him.

GO SMOKE !!!! :)

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:30 am

Who?

:evil: