CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:54 pm

Anyone know of a site that has that team picture Canada took after the won the world cup? A high rez version of it...

. I can only find small versions or cropped versions :(

first post btw so... HELLO! seems like a great site

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:21 pm

Hello back!

Sorry, can't help you out with the team Canada pics. I was just at your website, and I was wondering if you could educate me a little?

I'm a mechanical engineer and I spend a lot of time solid modeling with solid works, pro-E, Mechanical Desktop etc. I've always wondered about that animation stuff as a side. What kind of software do you use for that? What kind of classes have you taken (if any)? I really know nothing about it...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:18 pm

Well there is alot of different software you can use. The most popular being 3dsmax, maya. lightwave, or my weapon of choice, softimage|XSI. All are cabable of doing the same stuff pretty much. there is others are well, but these are the maoin ones and the best ones.

I have fooled around with all but lightwave. And I just found XSI has the greatest work flow of them all, plus it is extremly powerful and has a completely non linear enviroment, IE you can model, texture, animate, then go back to modeling without haveing to retexture or reanimate if you needed to ect.

And XSI also recently did a huge price drop on there Foundation version, you can get it for $495 USD and for what you get thats an amazing price. I paid $3000 CND for the same packeage a few months back. So i would highly recomend XSI if your starting, because you cant get any other software for nearly that price that does as much.

But all the major softwares that i listed have free demos to try out as well. including XSI foundation 30 day free trial.

As for learning 3d animation, I personly started learning on my own, and after a few years I decided to goto school, and to tell you the truth I found that it wasnt much diffent then self learning, there is so many free resources and tutorials on the interent, and basicaly our teacher just made us follow tutorials online anyways for our assignments. Of course its nice to get some help and meet other people that are into the same thing. But really if you want to save yourself a ton of money I would recommend trying it on your own for starters, plus with your experiace and background, I'm sure it would be easier for you then starting cold.

Heres the link to the 30 day free trial for XSI, try it out and see if 3d animation is your cup of tea, http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/v ... asp?bhcp=1
In my links section on my site I have some XSI resource sites to get you started, plus the docs are great that come with it as well.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions lemme know

cheers

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:40 pm

Hey thanks! I've used 3D studio Max before, just to animate a device I had designed, but wasn't sure what else was out there (or even where to start looking).