Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 pm

Quote:
The dream of an NBA return may not be dead in Vancouver, as commissioner David Stern admitted to ESPN’s Bill Simmons that the league has received interest from Vancouver.

In Simmons’ Monday podcast (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6125242), Stern tells Simmons, “We’ve had visits, believe it or not, from Vancouver..where the Canucks are absolutely doing a spectacular job.”
Stern goes on to admit, again, to Simmons that he has regrets with how the NBA handled the Grizzlies departure from Vancouver.

That sentiment was first expressed by Stern in a 2007 interview with Simmons.

“I wish we hadn’t had the Vancouver experience,” Stern said. “Great city and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves. (But) I don’t think that we can go back. I think that was a great city and we didn’t take advantage of the opportunity. That’s a great disappointment to me.”

Source: Team Radio

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm

i love the nba...but my heart is and always will be with the Celtics. i would cheer for another vancouver team but would always be loyal with my first love, just like it was when we had the grizz

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I miss the Grizzlies... even though they were terrible.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 am

In that case take the Raptors :lol: I think it's a damn disgrace that TSN and/or Sportsnet East will show a Craptors game even though the Flames, Oilers or 'Nucks are playing that same night.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:20 am

Ah no way. Raps suck. Show me any hockey game over that...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:37 am

Now you see my problem :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 am

Puleeeze, not again. Leave the dead horse alone. If we need anything in Vancouver it's a major league baseball team. I'd gladly trade the bullshit CFL for one.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Baseball sucks. I'd rather watch paint dry.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Canuckism wrote:

I don't.

If anyone deserves an NBA franchise, it certainly isn't Vancouver who mismanaged their team all the way to Memphis, but Seattle, who, had their team stolen from them for not building some already filthy rich owner a publicly funded brand new stadium.

Vancouver won't support the NBA and thats the reality. So unless they move the Los Angeles Lakers to Vancouver people just aren't going to be that interested.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Aquilini wants NBA's Hornets in Vancouver: report

Quote:
Canucks Sports and Entertainment chairman Francesco Aquilini is looking to bring the NBA back to Vancouver, according to a report in The Globe and Mail.

Citing anonymous sources, the Globe says Aquilini, whose family owns the NHL's Canucks but was never involved with basketball's Vancouver Grizzlies, is inspecting the New Orleans Hornets.

The Hornets are being sold by the NBA and could be relocated in the next few years.

During an interview this week, commissioner David Stern said Vancouver is one of several markets interested in a relocated NBA franchise, and went out of his way to praise the strong business performance of the Canucks.

"We've had visits from, believe it or not, Vancouver, where the Canucks are absolutely doing a spectacular job," Stern told ESPN.

Aquilini did not respond to requests for comment Tuesday.

The NBA's Grizzlies left Vancouver for Memphis in 2001 after just six seasons, a brief existence that Stern has called his largest regret in 27 years as commissioner.

Source: CBC Sports

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:33 pm

Freakinoldguy wrote:
Canuckism wrote:

I don't.

If anyone deserves an NBA franchise, it certainly isn't Vancouver who mismanaged their team all the way to Memphis, but Seattle, who, had their team stolen from them for not building some already filthy rich owner a publicly funded brand new stadium.

Vancouver won't support the NBA and thats the reality. So unless they move the Los Angeles Lakers to Vancouver people just aren't going to be that interested.

It wasn't the city... Poor management ran this team out. It be great to have it back.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Canuckism wrote:
Freakinoldguy wrote:
Canuckism wrote:

I don't.

It wasn't the city... Poor management ran this team out. It be great to have it back.

That's what I meant. Piss poor management and a lack of fans because they never won did them in.

There's a reason Aquilini wants to RELOCATE the Hornets to Vancouver and it isn't because they're a winning team filling the arena every night.

Charlotte 24 32 0.429 16.5 14-21 3-7 14-14 10-18 4-6 L 1

So it begs the question, will a team that couldn't succeed in a basketball mad environment like North Carolina succeed in a Hockey mad one?

The reality is that the NBA is worse than the NHL for putting teams in markets where they can't compete and then allowing sleezy owners to move them at will. If Aquilini gets his wish, I can see the city getting screwed yet again in a few years when they move to that new arena in Seattle.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Relocation would be nice.

I'm sure Stu Jackson wouldn't want to see an NBA team succeed in Vancouver.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Like I said. Aquilini can buy the Hornets and given Stern's pedigree combined with his inability to control his league owners, move them to wherever he wants. If it's Vancouver it'll likely be till Seattle gets a new Arena and then the money will talk and they'll walk....................... yet again. :roll:

Everyone used to wonder why that twit Gary Bettman would put hockey in places it's got no chance of succeeding, well, all you have to do is look at his resume to see that his former boss Mr. David Stern showed him the NBA's business model. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:38 pm

I'll never watch it