CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom
 
 
Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:12 am
 


Here's a 740km race you need to try out TG.

http://www.yukonriverquest.com/

Well for some it's a race, a lot of teams just do it to survive and finish. I have a couple of friends doing it right now. One is a corporate lawyer from Edmonton, this is his sixth time ( he'll be happy if they finish with in 20 hours of the winners :D and the other one is a welding teacher at RDC, his first time.

Their team name is Blazing Paddles 6 / Mens Tandem Canoe. According to this they haven't been seen since 11:16 pm last night. 8O

http://www.yukonriverquest.com/template ... mplate.php


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
Profile
Posts: 13928
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:36 am
 


Alta_redneck wrote:
Here's a 740km race you need to try out TG.

http://www.yukonriverquest.com/

Well for some it's a race, a lot of teams just do it to survive and finish. I have a couple of friends doing it right now. One is a corporate lawyer from Edmonton, this is his sixth time ( he'll be happy if they finish with in 20 hours of the winners :D and the other one is a welding teacher at RDC, his first time.

Their team name is Blazing Paddles 6 / Mens Tandem Canoe. According to this they haven't been seen since 11:16 pm last night. 8O

http://www.yukonriverquest.com/template ... mplate.php

Holy Crap dude!!! I hope they are ok. 8O

I really want to try this out...next year perhaps would be fun.

I am going to keep a tab on their boat...I hope they are fine, that is one hell of a race.

Thanks for the link AR [B-o]


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
Profile
Posts: 13928
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:39 am
 


Just checked it....they past check at 8:58...they are ok :rock:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 am
 


TattoodGirl wrote:
Just checked it....they past check at 8:58...they are ok :rock:


Yeah I see that, I was thinking that maybe a grizzal bear found them in their sleeping bags and thought, "hmmmm, pigs in a blanket" :lol:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:00 pm
 


WDHIII wrote:
That would be WAY cooler than my stationary rower! :D


There's a womans team that thought the same thing, they called it good at the first check point. At least they tried it, maybe an injury or equipment problem.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 pm
 


The first canoe's are done, 1:50 between first and second. Over 740 kms thats damn near a photo finish. :lol:

Winning time, 40:52, that's 40 hours.


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:45 am
 


TG the real race is on!!!! :D

The captian of DD Strokers is the little brother of the captain of BP's 6. they both raced together the last 2 years. My buddy's were 2 spots behind yesterday and during the night they passed them.

BTW did you check out the Bios? The welding teacher's answer to the question, what other river experience do you have? was. "Skipped some rocks into the Red Deer River Got a five hopper Yeah" :lol:


Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 9914
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 am
 


Oh man....we've got to get a CKA team together for this..... :rock:

I river raft all the time in my pontoon boat...class 4 stuff is amazingly fun... :wink: ...but some of that race sounds like class 5+....I'm in!!!

Image


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:44 am
 


I like this comment.

Quote:
"I remember hallucinating and seeing U.S. President Richard Nixon standing on the riverbank holding out a tin cup. "Poor guy" I thought and paddled on."


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:01 am
 


WDHIII wrote:
Alta_redneck wrote:
I like this comment.

Quote:
"I remember hallucinating and seeing U.S. President Richard Nixon standing on the riverbank holding out a tin cup. "Poor guy" I thought and paddled on."


:lol: :lol: :lol:


Kinda like John Force, upside-down, backwards and on fire lookin out the rear window of his funny car and seein Elvis :wink:


ROTFL


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
Profile
Posts: 13928
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:04 am
 


Alta_redneck wrote:
TG the real race is on!!!! :D

The captian of DD Strokers is the little brother of the captain of BP's 6. they both raced together the last 2 years. My buddy's were 2 spots behind yesterday and during the night they passed them.

BTW did you check out the Bios? The welding teacher's answer to the question, what other river experience do you have? was. "Skipped some rocks into the Red Deer River Got a five hopper Yeah" :lol:


ROTFL
I love it!!!! I want to do this next year....I have been sending the link to some of my paddlers and we think it would be freaking amazing!!!


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 am
 


Well they wanted to finish with in 20 hours of the over all winners and they did that by 10 minutes. They finished 20 some positions better than last year. They didn't make it in under 60 hours like they wanted to, but they finished. The little brother seems to have pass them somewhere, but he's showing a missed check point, so this could be re-raced over Christmas dinner. :lol:


Offline
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
Profile
Posts: 13928
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:34 am
 


:lol: That is excellent!! What a great accomplishment...Kudos to them all, there is nothing like pushing oneself to the limit and leaving it all on the line. Thanks for the thread AR...I am so going to see if someone wants to do this with me for next year XD [B-o]


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 am
 


TattoodGirl wrote:
:lol: That is excellent!! What a great accomplishment...Kudos to them all, there is nothing like pushing oneself to the limit and leaving it all on the line. Thanks for the thread AR...I am so going to see if someone wants to do this with me for next year XD [B-o]


Your welcome, I knew you would like it. :wink:


Offline
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
User avatar
Profile
Posts: 6932
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:58 am
 


Hey TG there's some videos on the race web site now. I got together with the Blazing Paddle's guys last weekend. Lots of stories to listen too.

If you check out the videos, they went through the 5 Finger Rapids at 2am, the new guy on the team said he'd never been pumped up like that for anything he's ever done in his life. They made it through alright, then they just floated for awhile to come down and just relax. By that time they were starting to see things in the shadows, the big rocks sticking out of the water started looking like things. And then all of sudden a beaver surfaced and slapped it's tail right beside the canoe and scared the shit out of them and they flipped the canoe.

Oh and if you go, don't take dried apricots, they found out they work as good as prunes. :lol:

They spent half a day with the heresy squirts.


Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  1  2  Next



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests




 
     
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner.
The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © Canadaka.net. Powered by © phpBB.