canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 am

http://www.sportal.com.au/cricket-news- ... ada-113486

8O Didn't even know Canada was even playing this time round, wasn't even aware the world cup was going on, lost intrest in the game many moons ago.

Anyways since there has been no talk about this I was wondering how many were aware about Canada's cricket participation in the ICC world cup.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 am

Hell our entire cricket team is either Pakistani or Bangladeshi. :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 am

LOOOL ! I was dissapointed at the lack of "white" players but not surprised.

Don't forget the few Carribean players aswell. Cricket is pretty popular there and West Indies have been World Champions in the past.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 am

If it weren't for immigration from cricket playing nations you'd be able to count the number of Canadian cricket players on 1 hand with 4 fingers remaining. :lol:

Hell even the English immigrants don't play cricket for Canada. They probably left trying to get away from that sport.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:26 am

Well I think its a good thing, not limiting Canada to just the "American world sports" of Hockey, "football", baseball etc etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:32 am

desertdude wrote:
Well I think its a good thing, not limiting Canada to just the "American world sports" of Hockey, "football", baseball etc etc.

Oh sure. Truth be told, Canada & the US have the most diversity of sports played then any other nation on earth. How many nations play hockey for examples? We play pretty much every sport in the world with the exception of a few very regional sports like hurling or Aussie rules football.

So when is your country gonna get its hockey team together? :P

Hell do you even have ice rinks? :wink:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:45 am

Nah, I meant on a international level. Like what your talking about, can you believe there is a ice hockey league here aswell, not to mention the hottest Rubgy event in the entire region. People also play baseball and softball on a very well maintained diamond. American football etc etc.

Ozzy rules football, now thats a weird game ! 8O
Not to mention camel racing jockeyed by robo jocks ! LOOOOL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:47 am

desertdude wrote:

Hockey is Canadian. So is basketball, although that might be hard to fathom considering we only have 1 NBA team :lol:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:59 am

I was wondering do American and Canadian teams actually face off each in events which are labeled as the World Series/championships and with titles like World Champions being handed out ?

Oh I didn't know BBall was Canadian and that they had a team in the NBA ? Which one would it be ?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:12 am

desertdude wrote:
I was wondering do American and Canadian teams actually face off each in events which are labeled as the World Series/championships and with titles like World Champions being handed out ?

Only if it happens to work out that way in the standings. Canada only has 1 MLB team and 1 NBA team.(It used to be 2 of each) We don't really have a pro level league for either sport. Our CFL has different rules than the NFL although players from both leagues played against each other some time ago for little more than bragging rights :lol:
The only time you'll see an NHL style Canada vs USA matchup in hockey would be at the Olympics or the IIHF Championships.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 am

Kinda makes you wonder about the legitimacy of these "world" series and championships in the US then.

I guess its like one of those world famous in India things !

( Kind of an inside joke about Indian commercials and advertising ) :mrgreen:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 am

desertdude wrote:
Kinda makes you wonder about the legitimacy of these "world" series and championships in the US then.

I guess its like one of those world famous in India things !

( Kind of an inside joke about Indian commercials and advertising ) :mrgreen:

Yeah, the term "World Series" always gave me a bit of a chuckle.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:02 pm

Well then I guess I'm the world champion of CKA of Dubai then [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 pm

desertdude wrote:

One of the big problems with playing some sports is our climate - it's awfully hard to play cricket in 3 feet of snow.

Edmonton has cricket fields and lawn bowling greens and all sorts of facilities for 'non-American' sports, but the lack of large scale interest means it isn't worthwhile to build indoor facilities for those fringe sports.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:55 pm

I keep forgetting about the climate ! Is it really that bad, I was recently reading from somewhere by a brit who use to live in Canada that yes everybody says Canada is cold but you really need to be there to actually get it. Sheesh, is it really that harsh or have you folk just gotten used to it.

I know there are places down south where it can get pretty hot for sometime during summer and other places like Vancouver where it hardly snows but rains like a mofo. But is weather a big factor in almost everything you do up there ?

I guess living in a country with only two seasons. Hot and very hot its hard for me to fathom this weather thing.