Author Topic Options

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:50 pm

Actually my idea for a website is sort of along the lines of easing the access to information. My belief is that if you take the social, environmental, and human rights aspects of the NDP and match them up with the economic reforms of CAP, it will match perfectly. Where one's general, the other's specific. I want to make a wishlist of changes and if you click on any one, a short justification will come up for why the change is necessary. And if the maybe one-paragraph answer isn't enough detail, there will be a link to a full article justifying it, with resource links to discussions on Vive and other resources such as the NDP or CAP websites. I also thought of putting up a table of those changes and which political parties endorse each one. The problem is that it ISN'T easy activism, because it entails a lot of initial preparation and constant updates on a massive scale. So I'm trying to rethink how I make solutions more accessible to the general public so that we can all work together to pressure the government into supporting these very far-reaching, all-inclusive solutions. (Tax breaks AND increases for health care, education, etc...) Any suggestions?

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:30 pm

Or you know Kory we could get you volunteering more for us and incorporate your ideas into the site somehow. Just a thought. :) <P> I think internet actions (esp a la MoveOn.org) are generally the easiest and quickest. We are going to invest in having it set up so that people send an email through Vive and it comes out the other end as a fax. <p> But not everyone has internet. And I think most actions take a little more time (calling, writing letters and letters to the editor, etc). <p> PS This IS the right place for this topic. Otherwise the moderators would have moved it. So no worries.

Once it was decided that Canada was to be a branch-plant society of American capitalism, the issue of Canadian nationalism had been settled.--George Grant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:36 pm

alright, so those types of activism might take time, ie, writing letters, making phone calls, going to meetings, etc. or resources such as the internet. but internet is accessible at most public libraries (perhaps making this more well-known would be a good start). and a letter doesn't need to be more than a paragraph long to be effective, if there are 5 million other people also writing one paragraph letters. <P>and i think more people would be willing to write those 5 minute letters if they were more informed. for example, i only found out about a week ago that you don't have to put postage on a letter to the prime minister. who else can you send letters to for free? <P>alright, no more of this wasting time on the internet. i'm gonna go write letters to the prime minister. <P>peace <P> kasel

"there is surely something significant about the fact that in the United States, the western hero is an outlaw, while in Canada he is a law enforcement officer.

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:41 pm

Notice how letters to the editor are only rarely longer than a paragraph or two? Well, there's a hint. A 5 minute letter will be more likely to get published.

And Susan, I'm definitely willing to incorporate any ideas I have into this site. I'd welcome the opportunity. I just didn't want to play the part of evil American takeover ;)

The only concern is that my ideas would end up with more biased content than this site is used to I think. For example, if a subject gets discussed at length on here and I summarize it, then peoples' opinions suddenly become subject to my own views (even more so than my moderator super-powers currently allow - muahahaha).

Anyways, I'm still unsure of what kind of structure will result from this brainstorm I'm experiencing. So until that's clear, I can't make much of a proposal for you.

-KY

Kory Yamashita

"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Any website should include an easy to use chat window if it's possible.

Forum Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:20 pm

[QUOTE BY= FreeCanada] Any website should include an easy to use chat window if it's possible.[/QUOTE] See ours on the front page? ;)