Author Topic Options

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:36 am

It's something we didn't want to do. Allowing people to post without an account is kind of the whole point of the site. If it becomes too bad, I'm sure Jesse will change this, but for now it stays. <br /> <br />I'll only delete posts that conflict with the FAQ. But that means Trooling is allowed (Abuse is not)!!!<p> <br />

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:35 pm

I understand Gaulois frustration with anons postings. Often they contribute nothing but a contrary statement with little thought or back up ideas. <br /> <br />I understand from some postings that a lot of right wing web sites require incredible documentation before they will let you post. If that is so then I have to go with Dr Caleb. <br /> <br />However I wonder if we could develop a "stamp" that could be used every time an anon posts. something along the lines of "we dont assign much importance to this posting because it is anon." <br /> <br />Something pleasant but designed to play down their views at the same time?

Like a great red wine at the end of a good meal or a Van Morrison song played at just the right time, proof there is a god and every once in a while she smiles.

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:40 am

I guess there's pros and cons. <br /> <br />The cons for me are pretty minor, i.e. situations where there's a few similar anon postings and you're not sure whether it's the same person or several people with the same opinions and those situations where you forget to sign in before posting and end up posting as an anon yourself, then have to post again to identify yourself. <br /> <br />At least we don't have to deal with anons in the forums. And some of the anon news item comments are a good source of amusement.

"When we are in the middle of the paradigm, it is hard to imagine any other paradigm" (Adam Smith).

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:10 am

For the most part, I ignore them. I like to have fun with the really paranoid ones however. The really bad ones, most people never see. Or they don't see them for long. <br /> <br />I guess the mindset of some trolls is the same as the person who spraypaints on a fence or drags a key across your car. "Some people, you just can't reach." <br /> <br /> <br />

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Elite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:48 am

Here is an idea: could a story be published under the "forums" discussion scheme? I really liked the threaded discussions of articles and missed them in our forums where I am glad to not be trolled so frequently. So it would be up to whoever that posts a story to determine whether he/she wants feedbacks from members only or/and with the greater anon audience. BTW, I did like the idea of tagging an anon with some kind of an id (IP range) so that anons can be better handled.

LeCanardHasBeen
Malgré tout!

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:27 am

[QUOTE BY= gaulois] Here is an idea: could a story be published under the "forums" discussion scheme? I really liked the threaded discussions of articles and missed them in our forums where I am glad to not be trolled so frequently. [/QUOTE] <br /> <br />It's entirely different Code that handles the articles vs the Forums. I believe Jesse is working on a complete upgrade to the site, which will include community moderation, and a blending of the Articles/Forums code. But he's a busy boy right now . . . <br /> <br /> <br />[QUOTE BY= gaulois]So it would be up to whoever that posts a story to determine whether he/she wants feedbacks from members only or/and with the greater anon audience. [/QUOTE] <br /> <br />Anyone can start a Forum thread, and thereby bypass the story queue. Except Anon's. It's up to the memeber which section to put it in. <br /> <br />[QUOTE BY= gaulois]BTW, I did like the idea of tagging an anon with some kind of an id (IP range) so that anons can be better handled.[/QUOTE] <br /> <br />Nope. That totally goes against the idea of posting anon. If you post Anon, you have some expectation of not being tracked. While most people know this is nearly impossible, Jesse has said he will not attempt it, and for the most part all traffic logs to the site are deleted after a short time. Only the aggregate statistics are collected (eg, unique IP addresses per day, not the actual IP's themselves). <br /> <br />Yes, it opens itself up to abuse from those who do not fear concequences of their statements, nor care about reputation, but it also allows a degree of anonymity. <br />

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:17 pm

I been seeing alot of flamers on this site like the guy who keeps on saying "CAN'TADIANS" and "HOSER".

"A person who walks in someone elses footprints leaves no footprints." Chinese Proverb

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:53 am

You won't see much of him now. Sorry, but I avoid computers as much as possible on the weekend. I've gone through those posts, and deleted anything that was just 'hosers', just baiting, or plain old trolling. <br /> <br />I participate on a few sites, and believe me, not allowing anon's to post does not cut down on the trolling. Active moderators are the only way. <br /> <br />The best way to deal with a troll (once your senses have become accustom to detecting one) is just to ignore it. It feeds on your reactions, so it tried to hit a nerve whenever possible. Trolls usually don't believe in the subject matter that they post, it's posted purely for it's percieved effects on the regular poster. For example: To get a reaction from Dave Ruston, a troll would post that the Arrow was crap, Deifenbaker was a patriot and the C.A.P are a fringe party with a leader that changes every 6 months. Dave's head would spin around, and the resulting flame would be what the troll was looking for. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br />