Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Couldn't they just make a green house with heating or something then grow food in there? Then they could have a local supply of vegtables.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:22 pm

that would be pretty expensive to heat 10 months out of the year.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:25 pm

But you would have food.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:34 pm

Clogeroo Clogeroo:
But you would have food.

Frozen food because you used the years diesel to power the generators to light the greenhouse all winter so don those hides folks. :o

iceberg lettuce?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:14 pm

ziggy ziggy:
ponygurl ponygurl:
I am currently in nursing school. Have considered moving north to nurse when the kids don't need me in Ontario anymore. Am also interested in psychiatric nursing.
We'll see.

How much does a head of lettuce cost in the Yukon?

There's a real shortage of doctors and medical staff in Nunavut and I remember seeing ads for Yellowknife also.Not like you would have a problem getting some kind of work up north. Depends on if you could live in a place like Repulse bay or Baker lake or towns farther north that dont see sunlight for a good part of the year or much else. :o

One bit of advice though,if you go....buy a bug hat. 8O Never mind the muskoil and other bug sprays,get the hat and full suit with the netting. Bug sprays keep them from biting you,the suit keeps them off your body.That's what will drive you nuts,bastards fly in every available orifice you have starting with your eyes.

If your young and looking for an adventure to go along with a job,cant think of a better place to start then points north. Cant believe how many people still live off the land in Canada,it was a real eye opener for me,wish I went when I was younger though,when I was in the snowmobile phaze of my life. :wink:

I"m not young, but I"m not too old at 41 to snowmobile.. :lol:

I would be ok with the isolation, but the darkness might make me blue after a while.
I'd have to buy a rifle to fend the bugs off with. :D