Attachments:
DSC_0298.JPG
DSC_0298.JPG [ 305.09 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
DSC_0289.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG [ 401.96 KiB | Viewed 6 times ]
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:23 am

Nope. Still cute. You really have to piss them off to get them to sting.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:28 pm

This reminded me of one I took (and to search a bit for in my archives) back in June 2011 in my local park. I remember that the bee landed just as I about to take the pic. I was playing around with my camera at the time and doing a lot of macros of flowers. Actually, it was fun to look at some of the other shots I took around the same time.

Attachment:
DSC00410.JPG
DSC00410.JPG [ 145.55 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am

Saw this big boy on my way to work yesterday. Couldn't get a pic, because the Rozzers weren't letting anyone near.

Laid-back lynx a surprise visitor to Alberta legislature grounds

Saw an owl last week too. Watched it hunt rabbits. 8) Lousy pictures though. Too dark.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Very cool pic!

We see hawks sometimes in the big oak tree on the neighboring property shopping for lunch. There are so many freaking rabbits all over the damn place in our area that they are easy targets. Know for sure of one getting nabbed and I'm sure there have been many more we didn't witness.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:38 am

Every morning, I sit in my car, listen to the news have a cup of tea and look out over the river valley. I see all sorts of wildlife, right in front of my car.

I see lots of rabbits. And I see the predators that hunt them, usually coyotes. It's funny, because there was this one that hadn't lost all of it's winter coat, so it was white and grey patchy. And it was right when I saw the owl that the patchy rabbit was traveling through the parking lot, and the owl got a target lock on him. 8O

Ahh well, that is the purpose of the rabbit. To make more rabbits, and feed the predators. C'est la Vie.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Well, the rabbits we see are not "wildlife" but the result of ignorant people who thought gee, bunnies are cute little pets, but oh no... all they do is eat and poop and they'll be just fine outside on their own, they can eat grass right? :roll: .

Over the years the rabbits have done what rabbits do over and over again and it's gotten so out of hand that even the local shelter can't take any in anymore. So many neighborhoods are overrun with them and they do lots of property damage and many sadly become little bumps on the streets (when I see one I call it a "wasarabbit"). Seriously, in a 5min walk on my street we'll see at least a dozen of them, big ones and baby ones. There just aren't any natural predators to take care of them with the exception of the occasional hawk. But with them not being natural either there is no way to balance it out.

I love animals and can't stand hearing cases of abuse but to me they have become pests, not unlike rats, and the only real solution would be a cull if the damn city would only acknowledge the problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Put out traps... free meat.

It's not abuse if you eat them. :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 am

raydan wrote:
Put out traps... free meat.

It's not abuse if you eat them. :wink:

^^^

It's not as cruel as letting them overrun a habitat then having to compete for limited resources. Rabbits, especially domestic ones, can be little bastards. Perhaps you could borrow a few Barred Owls? ;)

The ones around here though are white tailed jack rabbits. Totally a natural species.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 am

Beware, the Arctic Squirrel!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/wh ... -1.5272584

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:28 am

White squirrel pride!!!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 20  21  22  23  24