Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:50 am

angler57 wrote:
wildrosegirl wrote:
That works too, but you can't put a worm on a fly rod. :lol:

River fishing is the best. I don't have much luck catching anything, but it sure is a beautiful walk.

Sure you can put a worm on a hook onto a flyrod. That is a very common practice here in our parts.
Might sit badly with purist. But, it works and is loads of fun.

BAIT? on a Fly Rod?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:28 am

Looks like Rosie and I are going to try the mighty Peace River today (Finally!). First time fishing it and the first time taking the boat into a river. Taking the fly gear and the spinning tackle since there seems to be fish of every type and size in that body of water. Shouls be a fun day... :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:27 am

Rosie and I had an amazing day on the Peace yesterday.

Admittedly I was a bit nervous venturing out on the river for the first time. With a new boat that I didn't know how it would react to river conditions and an new engine that I wasn't sure would have the power for the current. A body of water that I had never been on and had no clue to it's flow or even it's class. I was in a way glad to see that for the most part it's a class 1 river in that area with no rough stuff to speak of. The current is deceptively fast mind you, not uncommon for larger rivers mind you, but for the most part is nice and deep and no issue running a prop motor. I was very pleased with the performance of our 15 hp engine. We cruised along at a good clip up stream covering about 30-35 kilometers in really no time at all. Not too sure what speed I was at, need a GPS, but I figured 15-18 mph. Going down stream later I figured we were doing 20-23 mph. Pretty respectable for a 15 hp on a heavy 14 foot welded boat with two people and a ton of fishing gear... :lol:

The scenery on the Peace is pretty cool, as you'll see in the pictures. The colours, vegetation and type of terrain very dramatically. With thick timber to desert conditions, light tans to every shade of green to dark rust colours, the Peace River really is a feast for the eyes. I can't wait to see it in the fall colours. If you ever get a chance to see it for yourself, do it, you won't be disappointed.

The fishing was spotty. At the first tributary we stopped at, we caught all three Walleye that we caught all day. We released two that were under the size limit, it's 50 cm for Walleye on the Peace, but I did take a very nice 56 cm fish that weighed just a hair under 4 lbs. After that we tried likely spot after likely spot and nothing. Not until about 5PM when we stopped on and island and fished the very bottom where the two currents met again. I nailed a very respectable 67 cm Pike, hit like a freight train and fought like hell, gotta love river fish and how they fight. I released him and caught one more 35-40 cm Pike a little while later, but that was it for the fish. Even with the spotty fishing, not unexpected on a new body of water, we had a fun day of exploration and sight seeing, the fish were just a nice bonus. Can't wait to get back out on the mighty Peace again soon!

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:35 pm

Just found out about a new lake today from one of my customers. Going to take Rosie in there to do some fly fishin for Rainbows and Brookies!!! Should be awesome from the report my buddy gave me, can't wait. And Rosie will finally get to use her new 4wt flyrod...... :mrgreen:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:58 pm

Holy shit! You guys/gal live a hard life. XD

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Rosie and I finally made it to that lake I was told about today. Took a little longer to get there than I expected, but it sure was worth the drive. Unfortunately it was awfully windy today which did make for difficult casting conditions for me, and I've been fly fishing for over 35 years. Rosie is just learning and was trying out her new 4wt fly rod for the first time, add the wind and it was a tougher day than what I hoped for. We both used dry lines fishing a micro-leech under a strike indicator. It worked very well, Rosie landed her very first Rainbow Trout ever, no picture though, she released it too quick. Except the typical wind knots and tangles, the fishing itself was awesome. We released a large number of trout ranging from 13-20 inch fish. I even landed a nice 15-16 inch Brookie. We'll have to head back there again me thinks, especially on a quieter wind day.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Kind of a bitch trying to cast with a good wind blowing, especially with a 4wt system. Don't even bother talking to me about "wind knots", I learned a whole new language dealing with that problem, even shocked myself..... 8O :D Good that you made it out and had a good time. [B-o]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:19 pm

I am from the PA in the US can someone please tell me is there a site in Canada that I can advertise our fishing site in the states. Many of us are always hearing about fishing in Canada but unfortunately none of us know anyone from up that way. From my experience the farther north you go the better the fishing is.

Any suggestions would be great

**Please do not spam this site**

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:42 pm

SAButter wrote:
I am from the PA in the US can someone please tell me is there a site in Canada that I can advertise our fishing site in the states. Many of us are always hearing about fishing in Canada but unfortunately none of us know anyone from up that way. From my experience the farther north you go the better the fishing is.

Any suggestions would be great

Are you just here looking for ' a site' or do you intend to stick around and partake in our forums? A lot of peeps here are real serious and have a vast amount of knowledge to impart. I think you could become a welcome addition here.
PM me a link to your site, and I'll post a link here on the forums where you can post for free here in Canada. We also have another fishy thread that is more focused on Gear Fishin! [B-o]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

Yea that sound great
I can do that i will try to answer questions you guys may have about fishing down this way. I will put a link on the forum to this site

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Seems OK to me. As long as you aren't selling anything, which seems to be the case here, you should be alright to post a link to your Fishing Forums. Particularly since I noticed that you already have the link to CKA on your website. That's a fair touch! [B-o] IMO anyway. Keep in mind tho that I don't make ANY decisions as to what goes here on CKA.
You will, however see me, and I'm sure a few of the other guys 'over your way' as long as you show up here from time to time to remind us, and also to add to uor fishing threads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:43 pm

Nope not selling anything
I understand if you can mention us to your admin and see if he is interested linking the sites.

in I looked around for the "fishy thread" can you post a link to it?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:33 pm

viewtopic.php?f=136&t=89426&p=1776285&e=1776285

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 am

One of your members made a comment about he just purchased a lot in Canada. I didn't know that you guys could own property. I always and most of us think that Canada had some type of extended lease system for its residents.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:13 am

SAButter wrote:
One of your members made a comment about he just purchased a lot in Canada. I didn't know that you guys could own property. I always and most of us think that Canada had some type of extended lease system for its residents.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL And we all live in igloos too!

That was me. Sorry Butter, couldn't resist. Stick around CKA and you'll learn a lot about Canada. Of course we can 'own' land up here. Exactly the same way that Americans can own land in USA. Then too, there are 'leases' available for 'Crown Lands' thru the govt. Perhaps this is where your confusion comes in.

By the way, the link on your forums-http://www.tristatefishing.com
to 'fishing Saskatchewan-Nipawin' is the very lake I was referring to in my post on your site.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 5  6  7  8  9  Next