bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:35 am

Tyler_1 wrote:
Hyack wrote:
Finally managed to get a couple pics of the Mourning Dove.....

PDT_Armataz_01_34
When our magpies finally moved over to the neighbors because dog food, we started getting these medium smallish black birds. Some are black and some are shiny black and blue. They liked it here and I think we have around eleventeen hundred of them now, and some Robins. Cats still rule. [B-o]

Could be Rusty Blackbirds? They look black most of the time, but can shine blue or green depending on the light. Very bright yellow eyes. Very unique call, sort of like a frog croaking. Hence "Rusty". ;)

They love peanuts or safflower too. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:59 am

DrCaleb wrote:
Tyler_1 wrote:
Hyack wrote:
Finally managed to get a couple pics of the Mourning Dove.....

PDT_Armataz_01_34
When our magpies finally moved over to the neighbors because dog food, we started getting these medium smallish black birds. Some are black and some are shiny black and blue. They liked it here and I think we have around eleventeen hundred of them now, and some Robins. Cats still rule. [B-o]

Could be Rusty Blackbirds? They look black most of the time, but can shine blue or green depending on the light. Very bright yellow eyes. Very unique call, sort of like a frog croaking. Hence "Rusty". ;)

Could also be Brewers Blackbirds.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=brewer%27s+blackbird&biw=1600&bih=765&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy7aGr4N7MAhVIzIMKHWbHDdoQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=Axn0l9iQuaSXuM%3A

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:43 am

2Cdo wrote:
DrCaleb wrote:
Tyler_1 wrote:
PDT_Armataz_01_34

Could also be Brewers Blackbirds.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=brewer%27s+blackbird&biw=1600&bih=765&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy7aGr4N7MAhVIzIMKHWbHDdoQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1#imgrc=Axn0l9iQuaSXuM%3A

I wonder if they are the same species? It's hard to tell them apart just from photos.

Brewers:

Rusty:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:05 am

My trusty Birds of Ontario lists them as different species, but they do look very similar.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:35 am

2Cdo wrote:
My trusty Birds of Ontario lists them as different species, but they do look very similar.

I have a similar guide, and it says their habitats here in Alberta overlap during breeding season. The only real way to tell is from their calls. And I don't know if the Brewers has that iridescent thing happening with their feathers. :?:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am

Well I keep looking at them and changing my mind. :lol:
Thanks for helping! XD
If anyone asks I'm going to say they are Rusty Brewers. That seems full of win! [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:01 am

DrCaleb wrote:
2Cdo wrote:

I have a similar guide, and it says their habitats here in Alberta overlap during breeding season. The only real way to tell is from their calls. And I don't know if the Brewers has that iridescent thing happening with their feathers. :?:

We get both here nesting and it's hard to tell their calls because there is so many of both. :D
Plus robins, doves, cardinals, jays, sparrows, warblers, crows, red-wing blackbirds, red-tailed hawks and the occasional barn owl and hummingbird.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am

2Cdo wrote:

I am not familiar with these critters but maybe it's the females who have more distinctive differences?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

BartSimpson wrote:
2Cdo wrote:

I am not familiar with these critters but maybe it's the females who have more distinctive differences?

Not a huge difference in the Rusty but the female Brewer is distinctly brown coloured versus black.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Hummerfest '16 :lol: There are only 7 perches on the feeder so some hover until they get the chance to butt in. Sometimes one of the more dominant males will chase everyone else away, with the exception of one or two females. It's hard to get good pics since they move so fast!

Attachment:
DSC01157.JPG
DSC01157.JPG [ 137.7 KiB | Viewed 189 times ]

Attachment:
DSC01158.JPG
DSC01158.JPG [ 133.41 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

There have been so many this year. Usually have to make a batch of nectar a day. The females are all nesting in a few trees beside where I live, same as the last couple of years.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Nice, all I have are two, probably both males as the only time I see them, one is trying to chase the other off....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 am

Hyack wrote:
Nice, all I have are two, probably both males as the only time I see them, one is trying to chase the other off....

I'm lucky if I can catch a glimpse of them a couple times a season.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 am

First time in 10 years of seeing them, I finally got a picture last year.

I haven't seen any hummers yet this year, but they normally don't get here till mid June. All the Irises are in bloom, so it shouldn't be long now!

Quite a good crop you have there Struz! [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:03 am

I am so jealous that she gets all the hummers . XD
[B-o]

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:22 am

They are very entertaining for sure to watch!

Lots of other neat birds to watch the antics of right now and I need not go further than my door. There are kingfishers, stellar jays, juncos, swallows, doves, ravens and of course the eagle pair that nest just behind the house. I saw one of the eagles yesterday very aggressively chasing crows that I'm guessing got too close to their nest. The eagle damn near grabbed one mid-flight but it managed to fly low between a couple of boats moored in the bay and the eagle gave up the chase. Quite the sight tho!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 268 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 13  14  15  16  17  18  Next