Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:12 pm

QBC wrote:
Oh yeah, that sure would be, but I'm hoping for something along this line....

always hoped to get a black wolf....

Huh....

Guess we're going twice then?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:
QBC wrote:
Oh yeah, that sure would be, but I'm hoping for something along this line....

always hoped to get a black wolf....

Huh....

Guess we're going twice then?

Hmmmm....I'm thinking that can be arranged.... :lol:

(Go hunting twice instead of once, yeah, twist my rubber arm... :lol: )

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

QBC wrote:
(Go hunting twice instead of once, yeah, twist my rubber arm... :lol: )

That was your arm?

:oops:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:29 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:

:lol: I hear ya.

'Twas funny.... last winter I was house sitting on a farm and heard the dog suddenly get pissed right off. I investigated and finally notice a coyote out in the field trying to lure him out. I kept an eye out for a while, and then the yote got brave - came right up the driveway. 11:30 at night, -20, snowing, pitch black... I go redneckin' outside in my nightshirt, a pair of rubber boots (shush - they were by the door) a toque and the broom off the back porch.

The coyote high-tailed at the sight of me (who wouldn't?), and I thanked God that none of the neighbours were driving by as I was putting on that performance! :lol:

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

I'd pay some serious coin to have seen that!!!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I wouldn't mind trying hunting, I imagine it would be a nice thrill ride but I honestly don't see the appeal in wolf rugs. They just do not look great IMO. Not really my cup of tea.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:03 am

especially when those rugs look suspiciously like the neighbour's annoying dog that hasn't been seen for a few weeks. :twisted:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

I don't really need a wolf rug, it's sort of overkill to me, but wolf trim around a parka is very attractive. And of course a $25,000 dollar fox fur coat on a drop-dead beautiful woman is something to see. You have to be drop-dead beautiful in the first place, or don't even bother trying.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:03 am

When I saw the title of the thread I imagined real sport. Sit on the border and go after a predator, then try to get away unscathed.....

Attachments:
1_61_predator_drone.jpg
1_61_predator_drone.jpg [ 18.28 KiB | Viewed 202 times ]
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:11 am

I don't think that will fit in my living room Herbie.... :lol:

I still haven't gone out yet, I have this entire week off and it's been too damn cold for this boy to go lie down in the snow and call. -28 again here this morning, I'm hoping the weather dude is right and Saturday won't be so cold.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:58 am

I`m no hunter, but I have to admit, though I`m not opposed to trying it, predator hunting has been one of those things I`m no fan of. It`s hard enough these days for predators to exist in our ever encroaching world without going out and killing them for sport.

I`ll stick to killing for food.

End of `my take`.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:03 am

Gunnair wrote:
I`m no hunter, but I have to admit, though I`m not opposed to trying it, predator hunting has been one of those things I`m no fan of. It`s hard enough these days for predators to exist in our ever encroaching world without going out and killing them for sport.

I`ll stick to killing for food.

End of `my take`.

R=UP

I have hunted deer, duck and goose, though not in many years. My family and most of my friends are hunters. I enjoy getting a share of moose and venison for the freezer every fall. But killing for the sake of killing doesn't seem right to me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:09 am

Lemmy wrote:
Be careful, dude, Predators look tough to kill.

However, I imagine they'd make nice rugs.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Well, after waiting several days to go out due to -30ish temperatures, we finally headed out to Rosie's Dads place for a visit. With it being around the -20 mark, it was still pretty brisk so I had all my heaviest winter hunting gear on.

I went to one spot and started calling, after 35-40 minutes and no comers to the call, I decided to try a several hundred yards away. I walked down the tree line and set up in a swampy spur that stuck out into a grain field. I started to call and after another 30 minutes, I was really starting to wonder what I was doing wrong. No comers and I knew there was a pile of Coyotes, Wolves and fox's in the area. All of a sudden I spotted movement down the treeline and then some more farther down the fields edge as two Coyotes were coming in and coming in fast. (At a flat out run actually) I pulled my right glove off with my teeth and pushed off the safety on my 250/3000. I was going to try and take the far Coyote first hoping that I had a bit of time then to get on the close one and get both. The only problem, the close one stopped at about 20 yards away and was looking right at me, so I fired at him first. I hit him hard and he dropped where he stood, I cycled the old Savage lever action and brought the rifle up to try the second Yote, but as my sights came on, it hit the tree line and was gone. I guess that call really does work after all.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:19 pm

What kind of caller you using? A pal of mine uses an electronic caller, says the coyotes come running when he switches that thing on.

He swears by his scoped .17 too.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:55 pm

I'm using a http://johnnystewart.com/Updateable/upd ... egoryID=15

I've heard mixed reviews on that .17 . One guy tells me it's awesome, the next say it sucks so I'm thinking it's really a personal preference kinda thing. I'm not going to buy a new rifle for predator hunting. That 250/3000 of mine is fast and flat and if I get a chance at a wolf, I have no doubt of it's stopping power. My Grandfather killed everything from Yotes to Moose with that gun and it's deadly accurate. I also enjoy hunting with the iron sights again, most of my other rifles are scoped so doing it the way I learned to shoot is a nice throw back.