canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:06 pm

I never thought I would get into predator hunting, but with the huge numbers of Coyotes and Wolves out around Rosie's Dad's place, I think I'm going to go and see if I can help thin the populations a bit. They've never seen so many coming in so close to the buildings before.

So, picked up a predator call and have a bunch of reloads ready for my 250/3000. Trying some 100 grain Sierra Boat-Tails driven by 32.5 grains of IMR4064. I'm getting about 3200 fps with these so they should be pretty good for nice and flat long shots. Should be interesting if nothing else.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Actual wolves? I live in Toronto and actual wolves are a bit exotic. There's a few north in Algonquin Park and they are an attraction there.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:33 pm

They're an attraction here too....

They make VERY attractive rugs. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Be careful, dude, Predators look tough to kill.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 pm

I had a scary moment once when I was 13. I was deer hunting and I feel asleep in the woods by myself. I wake up an hour later and I see a Coyote about 100ft away from me walking up the hill towards me. I didn't know whether I should have pulled up the gun or stay still. Luckily it posed no threat and turned the other way but it scared the shit out of me.

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:56 pm

coaster_dot wrote:
I had a scary moment once when I was 13. I was deer hunting and I feel asleep in the woods by myself. I wake up an hour later and I see a Coyote about 100ft away from me walking up the hill towards me. I didn't know whether I should have pulled up the gun or stay still. Luckily it posed no threat and turned the other way but it scared the shit out of me.

:lol: A lone coyote will be far more afraid of you than you need be of him. It's only a pack that need make you nervous.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:59 pm

A single coyote is nothing to fear unless you are a small child or it is behaving very oddly.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:00 pm

If you had stood up, it would have scared the crap out of the Yote and he would have run off at Warp 10. I've been around hundreds of Coyotes and they pose no real threat to humans as a rule, even as a pack, they're not all that imposing. Hopefully, I'll be calling in an entire pack and get to thin their numbers by 2-3 with some good and quick shooting. They are a serious threat to livestock and pets mind you. Wolves, clearly a threat to livestock, but I'll be honest, I want a Wolf rug as much as I want to help the local farmers out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 pm

get yourself one of those wolf skull and pelt shaman hats too. Then go find some PETAphiles.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:04 pm

:lol: ....I'm sure this thread will do the trick... :wink:

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:05 pm

QBC wrote:
I want a Wolf rug as much as I want to help the local farmers out.

Yes you do! :D

[drool]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:06 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:
coaster_dot wrote:

:lol: A lone coyote will be far more afraid of you than you need be of him. It's only a pack that need make you nervous.

I know that know. But I was 13, and all disoriented, and laying down and... :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 pm

wildrosegirl wrote:
QBC wrote:
I want a Wolf rug as much as I want to help the local farmers out.

Yes you do! :D

[drool]

That is nice!!! :D

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Oh yeah, that sure would be, but I'm hoping for something along this line....

always hoped to get a black wolf....

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:12 pm

coaster_dot wrote:
wildrosegirl wrote:
coaster_dot wrote:

I know that know. But I was 13, and all disoriented, and laying down and... :lol:

:lol: I hear ya.

'Twas funny.... last winter I was house sitting on a farm and heard the dog suddenly get pissed right off. I investigated and finally notice a coyote out in the field trying to lure him out. I kept an eye out for a while, and then the yote got brave - came right up the driveway. 11:30 at night, -20, snowing, pitch black... I go redneckin' outside in my nightshirt, a pair of rubber boots (shush - they were by the door) a toque and the broom off the back porch.

The coyote high-tailed at the sight of me (who wouldn't?), and I thanked God that none of the neighbours were driving by as I was putting on that performance! :lol: