Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:11 am

It's about that time again. The perch will be schooling in the upper (eastern)
part of lake Erie for their annual journey to the western basin. With any luck much of their trip will be spent inshore. Thus giving beach fishermen/women a few days of fishin FUN. And timid kayakers. Don't like elbow to elbow fishin.
Ready for our trip to Port Clinton/Sandusky, Ohio. Mid-late June.
Perch and some walleye fishing and camping for a bit. Then onto the Jiimaan
(wiigwaas, Ojibwe, meaning small narrow boat as in canoe. In this case it is a rather large ferry that will carry us across Erie to Pelee Island Ontario, then Leamington on mainland.
Am ready to get back into Canada. Will camp on beach (in Road Trek) in Wheatley. Not sure what we'll do after that. Fish and travel mostly. Wife (Lady) enjoys day cruises.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:34 am

I've fished Ontario a bit but missed Lake Erie. It's actually a huge warm water fishery, shallow. Good luck, there.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:05 am

Have a great trek!!!

Post some pictures eh?.... :wink:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:14 am

Even though I've been an angler most of my life, I've never tried Lake Erie. Fished most of central Ontario, some of northen Ontario, and spent a lot of time on some central ontario rivers as well. I might have to make a trek down to Erie this year and check it out.

-J.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:51 am

Two weeks and north again we go, as the song sayes. How? That as Shakespear said, is the Question. Wife and I have concerns about the RoadTrek. She being manafactured in 1985 makes her old in camper years.
Have been looking for another Trek or a travel trailer. Wife and I being tighter than ticks have about decided to stay with here. Only 97,000 miles and runs just fine with the little 318 Dodge. Gets 16.5 per gallon.
Am hoping this will be a lucky date for us again and the perch will be inshore again.
If you are considering Erie, it is beautiful. Being shallow she tends to get big fast. And, a large boat can seem very small suddenly. But, thats boating. Got to keep aware.
The western basin is also noted for its walleye. But, that means getting out in the lake usually.
By accident have hooked into a few BIG carp. Interesting with a lite rod. They usually head for Ohio until the line runs off the reel.
And around Pelee Island during the spawn, smallies are inshore if you get lucky with the righ time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2XV33cs9b4

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:57 am

CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
Even though I've been an angler most of my life, I've never tried Lake Erie. Fished most of central Ontario, some of northen Ontario, and spent a lot of time on some central ontario rivers as well. I might have to make a trek down to Erie this year and check it out.
-J.

See your in Toronto. Have you ever tried the Parry Sound/French River area?
Now, that is fishing paradise this time of year.
Manitoulin Island when the wind lays is also great.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:50 am

From what Jan is saying, we may leave sometime thing a.m. All is ready. And. from the weather maps and the bright flashes and pouring rain (8 night in two weeks) seems we'll bring our nasty weather with us.
Sandusky, Ohio will be a few day stay for sure then maybe a night or two on Pelee Island.
From there Wheatley and then????
See Y'lll soon. Hope perch are in and this rain stops. Rivers are running high. Corn and bean fields are flooded and more roads in rural areas are closing as this is typed. Flash flooding.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:38 am

put few pics) :)

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:21 am

PostFactum wrote:

Upon return will have grandchildren show us how to do that.
Will post on fishing/camping part of forum.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:17 am

angler57 wrote:
PostFactum wrote:

We are waiting:lol:

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:29 am

PostFactum wrote:
angler57 wrote:
PostFactum wrote:

We are waiting:lol:

Since last posting have had a mall funnel come thru and destroy our awning and top out a neighbors tree.
Try not to bring this with us. That is all the damage that can be seen from here.
Now on return home have something to keep me busy. Hi Ho as KVJ would say.