Author Topic Options

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:21 pm

My livelihood comes from the sale of my copyrighted book. Taking away what I have created and leaving me without a livlihood would be extremely sleazy. Who are you unimaginitive clockpunchers to take away peoples livelihood . Is it from envy of those who are more imaginitiive and creative than you could ever be,which makes you want to steal their livlihoods, and drag them down to your level?<br /> Brent

Brent

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:05 pm

Good for you, on becoming a published author Brent. But once I buy your book, do I own it? (not the contents, but the book itself) Do I have a right to resell, or give it away?<br /> <br /> Well according to the RIAA, Sony, MGM etc, when I buy a CD, DVD or the like, I do not. I have the right to use it, but I don't have the right to resell or give it away. So, they have legislated away my rights to my chattel under the pretense of 'free enterprise'. AKA: 'Artificial Market Shortage'<br /> <br /> For thousands of years, performers and artists earned a living through performance and creativity. Now big corporations earn a living through litigation. Try to make a movie of any of Grimm's fairy tales, and see how long it takes Disney to sue your ass - for what was public domain. Does Jimi Hendrix's sister have the right to make a good living off her late brothers work? Does her children, and theirs?<br /> <br /> The DMCA even prevents people from *talking* about digital copyright and ways to dispense with it.<br /> <br /> No wonder there is no creativity anymore.

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:01 pm

See below how much trouble the European Union has in proceeding with their proposed patent legislation for more than 20 countries.<br /> <br /> http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/26/79630_HNeuropeanpatent_1.html? <br /> <br /> Canada would be better off restricting patents to the old 14 years. I do not know the history of this "magic number", but it was used 400 years ago in the Netherlands. Simon Stevin, the engineering inventor, had patents that lasted 14 years and no more. I don't think England had any patent law at that time - they adopted a lot of legislation from the Low Countries around 1640.<br /> <br /> I agree that it is absurd to continue increasing the duration of validity of patents.

Jacob

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:19 pm

<b>Brent</b>,<br /> <br /> as a published author, what term of copyright protection do you believe would most fairly reflect the effort that you’d invested into writing your book?<br /> <br /> <b>Jacob</b>,<br /> <br /> an interesting article on the history of patent institutions can be found <a href="http://eh.net/encyclopedia/article/khan.patents">here</a>. I was surprised to discover that the Netherlands repealed its patent legislation in 1869 (only reëstablishing it in 1912).

Shatter your ideals upon the rock of Truth.

— The Divine Symphony, by Inayat Khan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:21 pm

So Dr. Caleb, you could not give that DVD/CD away as a present even? Even though you bought it?

Freedom is the right of all sentient beings

Vive Moderator

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:21 am

[QUOTE BY= Armageddon] So Dr. Caleb, you could not give that DVD/CD away as a present even? Even though you bought it?[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> Legally, no. Read the EULA you get with CD's and DVD's. You only buy a license to watch/listen to the content of the disc, your 'first sale' rights are restricted. (which they can't really be, but who has the better lawyers?)<br /> <br /> Practically, they can't stop you. But it's crushed one of the business models I used to love as a teen - the used record store. Record stores don't have good lawyers, so RIAA lawyers take away competition and further supress the 'free' market.

Take the Kama Sutra. How many people died from the Kama Sutra as opposed to the Bible? - Frank Zappa

Forum Super Elite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:51 am

[QUOTE BY= jj_frap] I say Canada go back to the good old days when copyrights only lasted 14 years and were made by people rather than by coporations.[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> According to the Interpretations Act, all corporations are people and all people are corporations, therefore all copyrights made by corporations are being made by people.<br /> <br /> I know such a thing is insane, but that's the way it is.<br /> <br /> <a href="http://lois.justice.gc.ca/en/I-21/246527.html">person: “person”, or any word or expression descriptive of a person, includes a corporation;</a>

Forum Junkie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:19 pm

Yes I feel you have the right to sell it or give it away. Few people who have lent my book out have ever got it back. I don't feel you have the right to copy it and sell copies .I feel I have the exclusive right to control it's production since I created it's contents and thus have the right to a livlihood from what I've created.<br /> Brent

Brent