Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:39 am

Calgary couple’s Mexican getaway ends in health care nightmare

$1:
CALGARY- A bride-to-be is recovering from serious injuries, after a frightening incident at a resort in Mexico.

Last week, Katarina Pacileo headed to the five-star Grand Sirenis in Riviera Maya with her fiancé, to celebrate their recent engagement. The couple had only been there for a day when Pacileo went out on their balcony and leaned against the iron railing. It gave way, and she fell about six metres to the hard ground below.

“I ran to the patio and saw she was on the ground and not moving,” remembers her fiancé, Dustin Holizki. “I freaked out, she still wasn’t moving, I panicked.

“She was bleeding everywhere.”

Pacileo was knocked unconscious, broke her collarbone and needed two dozen stitches in her back. She was rushed by ambulance to a private hospital, where they were asked for $2,500 up front. While the couple has medical insurance, they did not have the money in hand and had to move to a different hospital.

It was more than an hour before Pacileo received any treatment, and when she was finally helped doctors didn’t give her any painkillers or antibiotics.

“I describe it like torture,” she cried, while recounting her ordeal to Global News.

“Honestly, it was the most terrifying thing I’d ever seen,” added Holizki. “Not just the trauma, but how they were performing what they were doing…I had to hold her hip and her head while they were stitching her up.”

She was then sent back to the hotel.

Adding insult to injury, Pacileo claims her brand-new engagement ring was missing when they returned to their room, and the hotel has also asked the couple to pay for the damaged balcony. The hotel happens to be the same one where a Canadian couple discovered a peephole in their bathroom last January.

“We’re Canadian, and I will never take that for granted,” Pacileo said. “They just don’t care. You could die in the street and they don’t care.”

The couple returned to Calgary on Tuesday, and Pacileo was promptly rushed to the Peter Lougheed Hospital. She was released on Wednesday morning and is now recovering at home.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1070538/calga ... nightmare/

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:51 am

$1:
“We’re Canadian, and I will never take that for granted,” Pacileo said. “They just don’t care. You could die in the street and they don’t care.”

Reason #259 to never to go to Mexico.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 am

Mexico has national health care for Mexicans. All others pay cash. By the way, with the implementation of Obamacare Canadians will encounter this same treatment at some US hospitals starting this year and (barring the repeal of Obamacare) at all US hospitals as of January 1, 2015.

Granted, you'll still get better emergency care than in Mexico, but you're going to be billed for it and you won't be allowed to stay for continued care.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Mexico has national health care for Mexicans. All others pay cash. By the way, with the implementation of Obamacare Canadians will encounter this same treatment at some US hospitals starting this year and (barring the repeal of Obamacare) at all US hospitals as of January 1, 2015.

Granted, you'll still get better emergency care than in Mexico, but you're going to be billed for it and you won't be allowed to stay for continued care.

No biggie, that's what travel medical insurance is for...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:42 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

IF they take it....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:32 pm

martin14 martin14:
bootlegga bootlegga:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

IF they take it....

Again, no biggie. Pay it yourself and get re-imbursed later.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Once again what if you don't have that kind of cash upfront, shit like that happens all the time, recently a Swedish couple came here for holidays, husband had a stroke, went into a coma was in hospital for a lng time and finally passed away. She was the lucky one as all her bills were waived off and the remains flown back to Sweden at the local Govts dime.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm

$1:
Adding insult to injury, Pacileo claims her brand-new engagement ring was missing when they returned to their room, and the hotel has also asked the couple to pay for the damaged balcony. The hotel happens to be the same one where a Canadian couple discovered a peephole in their bathroom last January.

Yup. That resort would definately be my first choice for a Mexican vacation destination. :roll:

BTW like others have said why no travel insurance. If you can afford the trip you can afford the insurance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:03 pm

No desire to go there.....I can eat raw pork and chicken here and create similar memories

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:07 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

No we won't because of travel insurance.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:08 pm

The article does say they had insurance, but were asked to pay 2500$ upfront, which I think is a lot, 1st considering its Mexico and 2nd all the article mentions is they just did a patch up job and that too not a good one.

My wife also broke her collar bone in an offroading accident and there really isn't much you can do other just plaster and brace it. So 2500 for that and sitches seems a lot to me. Maybe they were getting the special white man discount.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:43 pm

"We’re Canadian"

Huge huge mistake, should have lied and claimed US. US-Mexico tip #1 when you are visiting Mexico from Canada, lie and say US. Why, US citizens will get better treatment and deals. Mexico does not want to piss us off to the point we send in our Troops and it wouldn't be a 1st time either. This is also why the Cartels try to avoid US Citizens and Military personal. The only Military Personal they want is former illegals who became legal thru service to the US. Those one's are considered Traitor's of Mexico by the Cartel's. Beside's Mexican's are blind to the US-Canada, so the lie will work.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:53 pm

Vamp018 Vamp018:
"We’re Canadian"

Huge huge mistake, should have lied and claimed US. US-Mexico tip #1 when you are visiting Mexico from Canada, lie and say US. Why, US citizens will get better treatment and deals. Mexico does not want to piss us off to the point we send in our Troops and it wouldn't be a 1st time either. This is also why the Cartels try to avoid US Citizens and Military personal. The only Military Personal they want is former illegals who became legal thru service to the US. Those one's are considered Traitor's of Mexico by the Cartel's. Beside's Mexican's are blind to the US-Canada, so the lie will work.

So you're telling us that in when we're in Mexico we should be doing what you people have been doing to us for over 60 years?

ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:17 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
No desire to go there.....I can eat raw pork and chicken here and create similar memories
All in the comfort of your own bathroom.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:54 pm

CanadianJeff CanadianJeff:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

No we won't because of travel insurance.

You still won't be allowed to receive continued care in the US. After January 1, 2015 if you suffer a trauma in the US you'll be treated, stabilized, and sent home regardless of your insurance or the size of your bank account.