canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:02 pm

That's pretty ambitious on those limited funds. Why not take a tent, and camp by rivers and lakes. Use a phosphate free shampoo and soap using the lake or river for bathing. Pack a few coolers full of food - subs, fruit, chips, hotdogs(use the campsites/reststops that have bbq pits), cereal bars and such......WARNING!! Those steep roads leading off of the mountain highways are not for camping, they are runaway lanes for vehicles(usually tractor trailers) that have lost their brakes.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:04 pm

The only thing I am thinking about though is that if we pack food with meat and dairy we will have a hard time crossing the border.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:07 pm

Just eat up what you cant bring and then stop at something like Superstore when you get through the border. You could always keep a small propane bbq with you as well. I would do what Shep suggested and camp out. There are quite a few areas, even in the Lower Mainland you could pitch a tent and sleep.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Well we were thinking of an even easier way and just sleeping in the van. Its nice and has plenty of room if we take out the back seats. Also, we can even put in the inflatable mattress in there for "luxury" :lol: I just wouldn't mind getting hotels a few of the nights because that is where you can meet people, watch TV, Wifi, ect. Also, I wanted to get some beer. And I dont know if it would be fun to drink in a van.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Sounds fun, I love road trip. I can see some time problems, but its not a road trip without it.

Its too bad the North West of the continent doens't have any big rollor Coaster Parks. The closest are Six Flags Magic Mountin in LA and the Six Flags in Chicago.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:18 pm

Ok guys, I need your help for a tough decision.

Vancouver to Calgary to Edmonton

Vancouver to Edmonton to Calgary

Ok no matter which way we do it is only a difference of a few hours. However, the drive in option 2 look seems much more scenic. However, with option 2 we always would not be going through Saskatoon.

Last edited by coaster_dot on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:21 pm

Canadaka Canadaka:
Sounds fun, I love road trip. I can see some time problems, but its not a road trip without it.

Its too bad the North West of the continent doens't have any big rollor Coaster Parks. The closest are Six Flags Magic Mountin in LA and the Six Flags in Chicago.

There is actually a lot. Six Flags Great America near Chicago is my home park, and I just visited Six Flags Magic Mountain near LA this spring. Theres probably about 15 major parks in the north western part of the country and maybe about 30 smaller ones. All I have left is Northern California and I am pretty much done with theme parks in the US.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Route 2 takes you pass the tallest mountain in the rockies. Can't say much more, it's been a few years since I've been through there.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Alright, so we are going to take the Vancouver to Calgary way since we would like to to West Edmonton Mall before we start our drive to Winnipeg.

And we are doing Seattle and Vancouver in one day.

Is the traffic in those area along with border travel bad? We are going to be going through the area around Thursday.

But thanks for everyone help so far [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Thursday at what time?....if you hit rush hour here or on the I-5 you will be screwed for time...it wont be bad getting into Vancouver in the afternoon because you will be going against the flow. Take the truck crossing instead of Peace Arch, unless you really want to see the Arch, it is usually way less of a wait and there will be signs coming out of Bellingham telling you the wait times. Once you hit this side of the border tune into AM 730 and it will give you traffic. If you come the Truck Crossing follow 176 all the way to Highway 1 and go through to Vancouver, take the hastings exit West and BAM you are at Playland.

FYI...it is faster to get to Highway 1 via the truck crossing than Peace Arch...Oh and Canadian border guards suck ass and are assholes. Just be polite and answer without elaboration.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:26 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
FYI...it is faster to get to Highway 1 via the truck crossing than Peace Arch...Oh and Canadian border guards suck ass and are assholes. Just be polite and answer without elaboration.

Thursday probaly around 5 or 6pm.

And I know what you mean about the border patrol. I have always had problems with them. And they always never understood why we were going for theme parks and how we knew each other.

Another problem we ran into was hotel reservations. And I hope they don't give us crap for wanting to drive from Vancouver to Winnipeg without ANY reservations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

Thursday probaly around 5 or 6pm.

And I know what you mean about the border patrol. I have always had problems with them. And they always never understood why we were going for theme parks and how we knew each other.

Another problem we ran into was hotel reservations. And I hope they don't give us crap for wanting to drive from Vancouver to Winnipeg without ANY reservations.

You should have no problem with traffic going into Vancouver at that time...will be a little congested on the Port Mann (nothing new there). So you will be leaving Seattle around rush hour...you will find the I-5 backed up in spots. Take the Truck Crossing, if you think you might get hassled, they are easier to deal with than Peace Arch. The Peace Arch guards act like they wont even let me back into my own country :lol:

If they do ask about where you are staying, Just say Howard Johnson or Holiday Inn Expresses...they are everywhere. And there is one right on Hastings across from Exhibition Park :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Alright thanks for the advice.

I want to shoot a little video of skating at each place I go to on this trip. And then make a video since were going across the US and Canada.

Are there any good skate spots that are very recognizable in Vancouver?

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:39 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:

I want to shoot a little video of skating at each place I go to on this trip. And then make a video since were going across the US and Canada.

Stanley Park seawall

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:52 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:

OHHHHH....Dude!!!! You have asked the right person!!! XD :rock:

There is Plaza, Bonsor...you will be right at Hastings....But the orig is China Creek..it is old skool and thats where us old skate punks learned hard knocks!!! Everyone in the skate world knows China Creek...it really isnt much more than a bowl but it is history. Here is a link to Vancouver Skateboard Coalition, yep I am a member...Hell let me know what park you are hitting and if none of us are working we would show up to skate as well!!!

http://www.vsbc.ca/skateparks/ the link has all the parks and locations :rock: [B-o]