canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 am

You betcha...I hope there aren't too many photos. I think I took about 250 a day 8O

Although I took the most while at the West Edmonton Mall. I am almost done uploading the next days photos, so I hope to have those up by tonight.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 pm

I worked in Chicago in the mid 70s for awhile, and a bunch of us used to go north to Milwaukee. There was a huge amusement park east of Hwy 94 (I think) that you could see the roller coaster from the highway. I was wondering if you could tell me what the park was, or if it’s even still there. That had the biggest roller coaster I had ever been on other than one in LA.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:32 pm

poquas poquas:
I worked in Chicago in the mid 70s for awhile, and a bunch of us used to go north to Milwaukee. There was a huge amusement park east of Hwy 94 (I think) that you could see the roller coaster from the highway. I was wondering if you could tell me what the park was, or if it’s even still there. That had the biggest roller coaster I had ever been on other than one in LA.

Ah yes that is Six Flags Great America :D

Used to be called "Marriott's Great America". You really don't want to get me started about Great America :lol:

Its my home park, I go there between 15-20 times a season...I know every thing about it. If you are looking for some photos of the park to re-trigger some memories let me know :D I have thousands of photos of the park on my hard drive.

If you are talking 70's the largest coaster at the time would have been "Willards Whizzer", "Tidal Wave", or "Turn of the Century".

American Eagle was built in the 80s [this]

This is Demon (Was Turn of the Century in the 80s and was painted white)

Here is the Whizzer (also used to be white)

And this was Tidal Wave (used to be Blue). The ride was removed in 1990 to make room for another ride. The ride moved to 2 different parks and this is where it now sits now. At Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom as "Greezed Lightning".

So yeah if you want any more information about the park, I probaly know it...or have taken a picture of it :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm

I have a lot of good memories of that place. We'd go there every weekend while I was working there. We were all nuts about the roller coaster. That first picture looks the most familiar, but I wouldn't guarantee it. I never was the designated driver at the time! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:34 pm

What years did you go there? American Eagle (first picture) was built in the 80s. Which mean, if you were around then, you would also have been around to ride Z-Force, Rolling Thunder, and Demon (re=themed/re-profiled "Turn of The Century").

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:
What years did you go there? American Eagle (first picture) was built in the 80s. Which mean, if you were around then, you would also have been around to ride Z-Force, Rolling Thunder, and Demon (re=themed/re-profiled "Turn of The Century").

That couldn't have been it then. I was there in late 76 early 77.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:48 pm

Which ones are Valley Fair...or have you posted any of them yet. I've been there lots of times.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 pm

I haven't gotten to Valleyfair yet.

The photos posted above are just ones I took at Great America near Chicago.

Im uploading photos as I speak though :D

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:53 pm

poquas poquas:
coaster_dot coaster_dot:

That couldn't have been it then. I was there in late 76 early 77.

Oh ok, so you were there for the opening year....lucky :P

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:00 pm

Was it x-rated? :lol:

Pictures don't work.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:
I haven't gotten to Valleyfair yet.

The photos posted above are just ones I took at Great America near Chicago.

Im uploading photos as I speak though :D

That's cool......I can wait.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm

poquas poquas:
Was it x-rated? :lol:

Pictures don't work.

Thats odd.

Well here is a site that has tons of information and pics of the Marriot era of the park.
http://www.greatamericaparks.com/

And let me tell you...you are VERY luckly to have been to the park under the Marriot Management :o After Six Flags took over the park, more and more from that era of the park keeps going away. And now, the park looks like every other Six Flags park around the country...which is sad. Because Great America used to be one of the best parks in the chain when Six Flags bought it fresh.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:10 pm

I thought it was pretty new when we were there. It was cleaner than Disneyland! I guess that's not the case anymore.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Well its not that the park now is bad or dirty, its just that the park was better then Disney (when Marriots ran the park). When Marriots built the park, they wanted it to be more themed, cleaner, friendlier, more thrilling then Disney. Well when Six Flags bought the park, Six Flags was more worried about building coasters and they sort of neglected what made the Marriots parks special.

All other Six Flags parks were always known to be dirty, rude staff, no theming, ect. And Great America was the opposite. However, Six Flags is 2.4 billion in debt. So now, the chain has been pretty much bringing down the level and quality of Great America to the other parks to save money.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Day 6 - EDMONTON! [B-o]

Hey we made it to the West Edmonton Mall! This is Solar Flare. A really kick ass ride where you can control the spin of you seat by hitting the button on handle and locking the seat.

You go through the ceiling.

The ride broke though I was stuck upsidown for 5 mins :lol:

Oh shit....there it is!!!!!

I saw the backwards car and almost cried...alright im just kidding. But seriously, I was really excited to ride it.

The loops pull some crazy G-Forces...probaly the most I have ever felt on a roller coaster.

Here is the loop where the accident was.

This ride dives in and out of its own structure multiple times. Giving great head choppers and great sensation of speed.

Every thing is just kind of stacked on top of each other.

Welding spot

They really crammed this coaster into a tiny spot.

Unfortunately though, because its kind of dark inside the mall...pictures really didn't turn out so well.

This is one of the many head choppers.

Hidden Micky.

Spaceshot which is really cool. If you sit on one of the sides facing the side of the building it feels like you well hit your legs.

They say "mindbender is the worlds largest indoor triple looping coaster". They should be more proud of it and show it off more. Its actually the ONLY indoor triple looping coaster :lol:

They have 5 trains, and looks like they do a switch with them. Run 2, keep 2 in storage, refurb the 5th one.

Here is the skating rink inside the mall.

I have only seen pictures of this before. It looks way better in person.

The water park looked so much bigger in person. If I wasn't with my friend, I would have stayed in Edmonton another night and would have done the water park the next day.

I really like the WEM logo.

I heard about this store on the news.

Segways...I have always wanted to ride one.

This section of the mall was pretty cool.

This was what I didn't get though. They have two trains, yet they load one train, send it, wait for it to come back, unload it, then the start loading the second train...WTF? They would be able to move the line faster if they would just keep one train on. The point of two trains is to load one while the other one is running.

The backwards car....evil but so amazing.

We also did the slow bumper cars.

This was another thing I didn't like about the theme park. Three of there big rides where closed.

This ride was probaly the best spinning coaster I have been on.

I looked on the amusement ride sales site and this ride was on there. I don't know why they would sell it during the peak of the season.

Heres there other coaster which is pretty fun.

It just kind of cruses around the park.

I took a few more rides on Solar Flare.

Its such a good ride.

Back to mindbender.

The operators were very slow. It took them 7 mins to dispatch a 12 person train. Not to mention there were 4 operators on the ride.

Galaxy Orbiters twisted layout

I VERY rare yet closed ride :(

Back in the 80s when they used to run 5 trains with 4 cars, there would be 2 trains running on the track while 1 was being unloaded, 1 was being loaded, and the other was going up the lift hill....now its just 1 3 car train every 7 mins :( Not to mention, after the accident they had to add those stupid over the shoulder restraints.

Every other one I have been in is not as good as this...the walls really give a good sensation of speed.

The train flying through the last and smallest loop...crazy :mrgreen:

Back to the Tivoli.

Galaxy Orbiter goes into both of the theme park rooms and has 3 little lift hills.

Whats up with all the mirrors :lol:

Luckily the sun started to come in the windows so the pictured turned out a bit better.

The crazy loop

Last look in the mall...its time to go. I hope to come back up here in the next few years. Although next time I want to come in the dead of winter.

Heres the outside of the mall...cant even tell there's a coaster in there.

After a 10 min argument, I finally convinced my friend to stop at the egg. Although I had to give him $5 to do so.

The park was really nice, although we had no time to stay and look around.

Halfway through our drive to Winnipeg....1 hour east of Saskatoon. Little did we know, there would be nothing off of the highway until we got to Winnipeg. Almost ran out of gas.

I thought it was cool how the sun didnt set till about 10:30pm and the sun started to come up around 3am.

Next update is Winnipeg.