CKA Forums
Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi,
as we are going to canada in 3 weeks, going on a road-trip around the east-coast region, we are looking for a good way to have a mobile phone in that time. We don´t think we really need it a lot, but maybe we need to call the hotel (everyday another hotel) or whatever.
The german mobile will cost too much, so we are interested in getting a prepaid mobile card. In HongKong I bought one for 10 $, put it to my phone and everything was fine. Is something like that possible in Canada? I read something about "blank simcards" you can buy and activate for some 25$ to a prepaid, a monthly plan or whatever. Sounds complicated.

What is your best advice?

Thank you,
we are really exited to come to canada again!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:00 pm

You can use Rogers SIM cards, but your phone must be unlocked and operate in the 850/1900 frequencies.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:01 pm

I'm no cell expert but maybe try this ?

http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?ID=LSIM-CA01

You'll need SIM-unlocked GSM 850 / 1900 compatible international cell phone for it to work and you will have to get it all done and registered before you leave. I've read a story somewhere about someone in europe using their cell phone from North American and they came home to a 6000$ dollar bill or something like that. Again I'm no expert maybe check with your cell company in Germany they might be able to help.

Enjoy your visit in Canada and enjoy the sea food out east !!!!
I hope your visiting Nova Scotia !!!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

Bring an unblocked phone, cards you can buy in lots of places.

Your charger 'should' be ok if its a good one, just remember to buy a plug
adapter either before or at the airport, they can be very difficult to find here.

New charger is 50 bucks for a cheap one.. 8O

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Tri-band phone and a plug adapter, a "world-plug" so to speak. The ADAC should sell them... I'm thinking even Marktkauf (or stores like that) should sell them...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:30 am

Yes, my phone is a triband one, and its a blackberry, made in canada :) so it should work.
My charging adapter is 110 - 250 Volts, this also works, travel-adapter are prepared.
what do you mean, where do i find the prepaid-card? at the airport? is supermarkets? in special mobile stores?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:01 am

mugbert wrote:
Yes, my phone is a triband one, and its a blackberry, made in canada :) so it should work.
My charging adapter is 110 - 250 Volts, this also works, travel-adapter are prepared.
what do you mean, where do i find the prepaid-card? at the airport? is supermarkets? in special mobile stores?

You can find them at any of the places you mentioned. Even some gas stations and corner stores.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:15 am

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/index.html

Coverage maps and freqs.