canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Me and a friend were thinking of heading up to the Thunderbay area sometime in the next month or so for a little weekend trip.

My question is what is there to do there? And is there anything that would be better to do during the spring or summer time? I know Thunderbay has a zoo (with a coaster 8) ) however I am pretty sure it wont be open during the winter time. We were also probably going to add on Winnipeg just because I had such a good time there last time.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Don't know, never been to either.

If ya had fun in Winnipeg, it might be the best bang for your buck in the winter.

Thunder Bay is just the smaller, albeit wooded version of Winnipeg.

Don't forget your toque.... 8)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:09 pm

You know whats funny, I have a few knitted hats that I have bought over the years. Never knew there was a specific name for it.

But really my new favorite hat is my rabbit fur Russian hat that I just got a week ago. I ordered it from the online Russian Surplus store for a reasonable price. When the -25/-30C days come I don't think I will be cold at all :lol: I wish I could get some nice fur mittens but I don't know where to find them.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:52 pm

A weekend trip?? 8O 8O

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:59 pm

A weekend in Winterpeg and Thunderbay?

Are you looking for an insomnia cure?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Honestly that's nothing drive wise. 13 hours there/12 hours back (about 4 in between). Leave Friday morning and come back late Sunday night.

I did a day trip to Kansas City, MO which was 12 hours there are back. And we were at the park from 11am-6pm. :lol:

But that's the thing too, if there is a lot of to do up there (besides bars ;) ) I may want to make it an extra day. I'm just wondering if there is anything major to do there, or if just checking out the sites will be fun enough. When I was in Winnipeg this summer for part of the day I feel like I could have stayed an extra day. It really reminded me of Milwaukee. Very nice and easy going people.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, it may be a little out of your way, but if it's the closest you'll ever be, you should plan to see the Terry Fox monument.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:15 pm

coaster_dot coaster_dot:
Honestly that's nothing drive wise. 13 hours there/12 hours back (about 4 in between). Leave Friday morning and come back late Sunday night.

I did a day trip to Kansas City, MO which was 12 hours there are back. And we were at the park from 11am-6pm. :lol:

But that's the thing too, if there is a lot of to do up there (besides bars ;) ) I may want to make it an extra day. I'm just wondering if there is anything major to do there, or if just checking out the sites will be fun enough. When I was in Winnipeg this summer for part of the day I feel like I could have stayed an extra day. It really reminded me of Milwaukee. Very nice and easy going people.

Milwaukee to Thunder Bay - Travel Estimates: 10 hours 40 minutes / 585.92 miles

Thunder Bay to Winnipeg - Travel Estimates: 9 hours 10 minutes / 439.57 miles

Winnipeg to Minneapolis - Travel Estimates: 7 hours 42 minutes / 456.92 miles

Minneapolis to Milwaukee - 5 hours 35 minutes / 336.80 miles

Total Travel Estimates: 33 hours 10 minutes / 1819.21 miles

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:16 pm

You may be able to knock off a few hours from those estimates but that's one hell of a drive for a weekend. 8O 8O

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:16 am

You could visit Chippewa Park in Thunder Bay and see the sleeping Giant on the Water. Oh, so nice, I was born there and went and saw Grandma for years till she passed at her and Papa's cabin a couple years ago. The beaches are full of the neatest looking flat smooth rocks.

From there heading to Winnipeg, you go through Kenora, Ontario! That's were all my family is today! My two sister's and there families and my Dad who is a retired OPP.

Get Chips from the Chip Truck! It's worth the wait (thank me later!). Go for a stroll on the Harbor Front, it's beautiful. Look up my sister's and well.....Winnipeg you won't bother visiting. lol

Hurry and tour Lake of the Woods!

That's my contribution from my growing up stomping grounds.

Have fun!!!!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 am

Regina Regina:
You may be able to knock off a few hours from those estimates but that's one hell of a drive for a weekend. 8O 8O

Ok well here is the plan :lol:

Day 1: (Friday)
Leave Milwaukee by 4am - get to Thunder Bay by 4pm (including stops).
Get Hotel that night.

Day 2:
Leave Thunder Bay by by 10am get to Winnipeg by 8pm
Get Hotel that night.

Day 3:
Leave Winnipeg a little before 10am and start drive home stopping in Minneapolis. Get home around 2am.

JustKate JustKate:
You could visit Chippewa Park in Thunder Bay and see the sleeping Giant on the Water. Oh, so nice, I was born there and went and saw Grandma for years till she passed at her and Papa's cabin a couple years ago. The beaches are full of the neatest looking flat smooth rocks.

From there heading to Winnipeg, you go through Kenora, Ontario! That's were all my family is today! My two sister's and there families and my Dad who is a retired OPP.

Get Chips from the Chip Truck! It's worth the wait (thank me later!). Go for a stroll on the Harbor Front, it's beautiful. Look up my sister's and well.....Winnipeg you won't bother visiting. lol

Hurry and tour Lake of the Woods!

That's my contribution from my growing up stomping grounds.

Have fun!!!!

Thanks!

I love just driving around and stopping at random places. The one thing I like the most though about traveling is going into the small towns way off of the highway and major interstates and just checking out the sites.

And the drive alone seems very scenic which I always like.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:36 am

When are you planning to do this trip?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:55 am

Thunderbay to the Manitoba /Ontario border is a nice drive, but once you get west of that. , it's boring all the way to Calgary....unless you like to identify different animal roadkills.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Chicogo Blackhawks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:24 am

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Thunderbay to the Manitoba /Ontario border is a nice drive, but once you get west of that. , it's boring all the way to Calgary....unless you like to identify different animal roadkills.

Yeah I found that out when I drove from Edmonton to Winnipeg this summer...from 8pm to 1pm non stop through the night 8O

Regina Regina:
When are you planning to do this trip?

Not to sure yet. I want to do it within the next month. However, getting my friend to commit is a problem. I mean, I could do it by myself...but it would be boring and tiring with all the driving. Not to mention, when I do trips by myself I spend twice as much and ending up trying to talk to every person I come in contact with :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:32 am

Just remember that in Canada you are driving on third world style roads, with gravel shoulders and painfully low speed limits.