bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:20 pm

I've not heard so does anyone know if these fires in Cali are Nature related or did some heart broken ranger burn her love letters and start them? Don't laugh it has actually happened that way.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 am

Mowich Mowich:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Normally I'd just get in the car and go somewhere else that the air is clean. Right now that means driving to Colorado. :|

Though we lost some structures when the fires were burning around here, Bart - most of the smoke was from the trees and vegetation. I would think the smoke in California is a mixture of burned vegetation and all the materials from the immolated neighborhoods, making it quite a bit more toxic. Please take care of yourself. It is heartbreaking to read of the deaths and destruction with no end in sight.

Thanks!

The smoke we were getting here yesterday was from the forest up in Yuba County so we weren't getting the same smoke that was impacting the wine country.

One of my co-workers who lives in Santa Rosa lost his house and he and his family are currently in a hotel in Concord waiting to see when they can get back in to see what's left. Fortunately they didn't lose anyone.

And there's at least 2500 more families that lost homes and etc. :cry:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

Thanks!

The smoke we were getting here yesterday was from the forest up in Yuba County so we weren't getting the same smoke that was impacting the wine country.

One of my co-workers who lives in Santa Rosa lost his house and he and his family are currently in a hotel in Concord waiting to see when they can get back in to see what's left. Fortunately they didn't lose anyone.

And there's at least 2500 more families that lost homes and etc. :cry:

How prone is Northern California to getting wildfire's? We hear about Southern Cal all the time, not so much about the North.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 am

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
How prone is Northern California to getting wildfire's? We hear about Southern Cal all the time, not so much about the North.

Now that controlled burns have mostly been done away with because of 'global warming' and legislated air quality rules we've had a marked increase in uncontrolled wildfires and casualties. The fuel in the forests is building up and it's never allowed to burn because the fucking idiot environmentalists and the Climate Scientologists get their panties in a knot every time there's a controlled burn.

The result is that we're LOSING forests because the buildup of fuel is so great that the inevitable wildfires are able to leap from being a ground burn to burning the crowns of the trees.

At some point we're going to lose the great redwood and sequoia groves to this foolishness and then some smug leftist motherfucker will bleat about how this 'proves' that global warming is causing the problem. Meanwhile we'll have managed to destroy groves of trees that have been around for millennia all because of idiots who don't understand that you have to MANAGE a forest and not just put out every little fire.

It's frustrating.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

Now that controlled burns have mostly been done away with because of 'global warming' and legislated air quality rules we've had a marked increase in uncontrolled wildfires and casualties. The fuel in the forests is building up and it's never allowed to burn because the fucking idiot environmentalists and the Climate Scientologists get their panties in a knot every time there's a controlled burn.

The result is that we're LOSING forests because the buildup of fuel is so great that the inevitable wildfires are able to leap from being a ground burn to burning the crowns of the trees.

At some point we're going to lose the great redwood and sequoia groves to this foolishness and then some smug leftist motherfucker will bleat about how this 'proves' that global warming is causing the problem. Meanwhile we'll have managed to destroy groves of trees that have been around for millennia all because of idiots who don't understand that you have to MANAGE a forest and not just put out every little fire.

It's frustrating.

My province of BC suffers from the same type of idiocy, Bart. There are still huge swathes of forests around here of standing dead pine resulting from the beetle swarms. Prime targets for lighting strikes. I have no hope that things will change what with the NDP in power and the Greens in control. Frustrating it is, though it borders on criminal in my mind when policies could be implemented that would at the very least, limit the damage.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:27 am

Mowich Mowich:
My province of BC suffers from the same type of idiocy, Bart. There are still huge swathes of forests around here of standing dead pine resulting from the beetle swarms. Prime targets for lighting strikes. I have no hope that things will change what with the NDP in power and the Greens in control. Frustrating it is, though it borders on criminal in my mind when policies could be implemented that would at the very least, limit the damage.

There was a hell of a fire up at Lake Tahoe ten years back because the enviro-idiots wouldn't allow all of the dead trees to be removed. They were deeply afraid that some logging company would make money from removing the trees. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Mowich Mowich:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
PluggyRug PluggyRug:

It's frustrating.

It's awful isn't it? That's why some naturally caused fires should be allowed to burn, providing populations are not threatened, because it's healthy for the forest in the long-run to get rid of dead growth and allow for new growth.

As for the pine beetle infestation... I seem to remember many years ago there was a proposal to curb the infestation by doing controlled burns and/or logging the surrounding areas but I think that all got shot down due to environmental concerns if I remember correctly. Mowich, do you recall this?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:19 pm

31 dead now. 2,834 homes lost in Santa Rosa alone. And the fires are still burning.

The Global Super Tanker, a 747, keeps flying over my office at very low altitude and it's shaking the crap out of the place.

And I am grateful that it's here.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm

That’s about as welcome a disruption you could ask for.

And yet the news keeps getting worse....

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:44 pm

32 dead now.

So far the dead are almost all elderly people who were either left behind to die or who were unable to or unwilling to get out ahead of the flames.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
31 dead now. 2,834 homes lost in Santa Rosa alone. And the fires are still burning.

The Global Super Tanker, a 747, keeps flying over my office at very low altitude and it's shaking the crap out of the place.

And I am grateful that it's here.

Wow the capacity of that super tanker must be enormous.

The numbers are just getting worse :(