Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
OK, let's hope it's not the same company as the one that built the new Johnson St. Bridge. I think that was made with Chinese steel.

Just being fair here when I say that even if the materials were all from China it's still an engineering failure because the bridge deck was not designed to be robust enough to carry its own load without support.

Yet the engineers expected it to do so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm

martin14 martin14:
video of the bridge being installed a few days ago.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 22324.html

"It's about student safety"

It wasn't, but it is now. :cry:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Problems in the design itself, shoddy materials, shoddy workmanship or a few people received payouts for looking the other way... take your pick. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:37 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
Wow, this is horrible. Some engineer, inspector or contractor should be in big trouble!

I can see people gong to jail for this kind of negligence. The bridge was designed to survive a category 5 hurricane but not gravity it would seem.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:54 pm

Here's an idea for the engineers...

http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Bridge_Builder.html

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:18 pm

It was probably on a deadline and rushed so the contractor wouldn't face a penalty for being behind schedule.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:22 pm

xerxes xerxes:
fifeboy fifeboy:
Wow, this is horrible. Some engineer, inspector or contractor should be in big trouble!

I can see people gong to jail for this kind of negligence. The bridge was designed to survive a category 5 hurricane but not gravity it would seem.

From what's being said in the media now the bridge had no chance of surviving the endemic corruption in Florida politics that led to the engineering & construction companies (which have apparently been tied to previous non-fatal bridge failures) being chosen to build this pedestrian overpass in the first place. Looks like there's enough stink over this one to rival a dead fish. More to come...... :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:13 am

$1:
More to come......

Hopefully more to come to jail and get those tight fitting crotch huger's.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 am

RIP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
OK, let's hope it's not the same company as the one that built the new Johnson St. Bridge. I think that was made with Chinese steel.

Just being fair here when I say that even if the materials were all from China it's still an engineering failure because the bridge deck was not designed to be robust enough to carry its own load without support.

Yet the engineers expected it to do so.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:39 am

Canadian guy, funny as hell when tearing tools apart to show how cheap they really are.

Covers a few ideas, including the Second Narrows disaster.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:01 am

^^ Excellent explanation. Broke like a twig, because the cable supports weren't installed.

Who though that would be a good idea? [huh]

Also, the "Iron Ring" that Engineers wear; many of older 'grandfathered' rings were made from the wreck of a bridge collapse. That's to remind every Engineer that lives are at stake with the results of their work. Don't fuck it up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:25 am

The Iron Ring is only Canadian Engineers. They aren't actually iron (they would corrode), but stainless. And a bit of an old wives tale that it came from a collapsed bridge, but a nice idea. Be interesting to see the NTSB report.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:47 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The Iron Ring is only Canadian Engineers. They aren't actually iron (they would corrode), but stainless. And a bit of an old wives tale that it came from a collapsed bridge, but a nice idea. Be interesting to see the NTSB report.

This is a Canadian site. ;)

Mine is wrought iron, I was called before 2005 when they were switched to stainless, that's why I refer to it being 'grandfathered'.

$1:
The ring symbolizes the pride which engineers have in their profession, while simultaneously reminding them of their humility. The ring serves as a reminder to the engineer and others of the engineer's obligation to live by a high standard of professional conduct. It is not a symbol of qualification as an engineer – this is determined by the provincial and territorial licensing bodies.

$1:
Protocol dictates that the rings should be returned by retired engineers or by the families of deceased engineers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Ring

I know the source of iron being a failed bridge in Quebec is a wives tale, but it's still a tale told to many as an example of their responsibility.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:51 am

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
The Iron Ring is only Canadian Engineers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer%27s_Ring