Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:55 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Benn Benn:
When you go deep enough in science of the beginning and creationism both ultimately require assumptions, which is just another way of saying Faith in their respective beliefs.

Incorrect. The Big Bang theory has conditions that can be tested and measured and those can be replicated. We are confident we know exactly how and when the Big Bang occurred, and can replicate this mathematically and experimentally up to a few millionths of a second after it's beginning. It's those few millionths of a second we are exploring now with the LHC.

Religion has no such evidence backing it up.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:11 am

andyt andyt:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
How is it a threat that Christians wish to be more Christian? [huh]

IT is a threat if they wish the country to be Christian.

Fine. Then you'll understand that I find evangelical atheists (the ones who want to force everyone to kiss their asses) to be a threat to Christians and observant Jews.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:29 am

Wanting to kiss their asses is a whole different discussion. I'm not aware of any atheists who want to force the religious to give up their ways - they, as do I (even tho i'm not an atheist), just want religion to be kept out of the public sphere, ie the govt.

It's the only way that makes sense that keeps everybody equal. In a perfect world, maybe we could have all religions represented in govt without conflict. Not in this one. Not even sure how a perfect world would do it. How would holy days be equally acknowledged and officially celebrated for all the various religions and sects out there for instance?

Govt should be strictly secular. What does religion have to do with running a country? Why are you as eager to shove your beliefs down other people's throat, via the govt, as so many Muslims are? What is it about monotheism that causes this? Now even the Jews are into it, once they got power in Israel. the guy in the sky can take care of himself, you don't need to push him on people.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:04 am

sandorski sandorski:

No. The difference is night and day. Science has mountains of evidence to back up their Theory. Religion has some words in an old book, no evidence, and no Theory.
There of course is piles of evidence of the bible's origins. Dead sea scrolls, artifacts, buildings, texts, an oral tradition, paintings, scultptures. These of course are not proof of it's divinity but to say the bible doesn't have evidence is not correct. Moreover, the bible itself is evidence of the history of the region, it's language, culture and the norms of the time.

My point isn't that the bible is correct and that dinosaurs did not walk the earth. My point is that I believe people should be able to make that determination on their own using the same evidence that those who support each side use, not to accept things to be factual until they are capable of understanding how evidence is used to prove that something is factual.

Last edited by Delwin on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:07 am

andyt andyt:
Wanting to kiss their asses is a whole different discussion. I'm not aware of any atheists who want to force the religious to give up their ways - they, as do I (even tho i'm not an atheist), just want religion to be kept out of the public sphere, ie the govt.

That sounds nice in theory but in execution the reality is that Christians are being censored in the name of secularism while moslems are receiving the very public accomadations and public status that you say you want to deny to Christians.

In the following case a Christian organization is being forced to abide by a standard that is not being applied to moslem organizations.

http://www.dailytitan.com/2014/09/uncer ... tian-club/

Meanwhile a public facility is modified to accomadate the practice of islam:

http://www.pittnews.com/news/article_59 ... b2370.html

And the secularists usually take their anti-Christian campaign a step further to where they often advocate that Christians should be barred from public office or government employment unless they renounce their beliefs when they come to work - a standard that is not expected of anyone else.

:idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:30 am

Well, I'm advocating for strict secularism, so the Muslims would be out of luck. Have never heard about people having to renounce their beliefs - I'm sure you're twisting a case where they want to act on their beliefs on the job, and it conflicts with the demands of that job.

I'm sure you can find instances where you feel Christians didn't get the same deal as other groups, but as the OP, and many other instances, far more often it's the Christians who are dictating policy based on their beliefs. And all this would stop, for everybody, if we were strictly secular in the public sphere.

As for your first link - bullshit. Says that all campus groups must not discriminate on the basis of religion. Nowhere does it say Muslims were allowed to discriminate but Christians weren't.

Your second link, more bullshit:
$1:
The new reflection room, open to students of all faiths

What's wrong with you that you would post such obvious bullshit that's so easy to refute?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:35 am

More about that prayer room

$1:
Next door is the Stress Free Zone. Blocked off by a wall of iced glass, the Stress Free Zone is silent and has three stalls, separated from one another by curtains. In one is a large massage chair, and in the next is a yoga mat. [u]The third stall has a chair and a box of tissues[/u
Er hum. Why not combine the box of tissues with the massage chair? Maybe a personal massage instrument for the ladies? Lock on the door? Otherwise it's just sexist.

$1:
Students who are not in the MSA said they plan to utilize the new space as well. With such a central location on campus in the WPU, many students may find a new favorite spot to study, de-stress or exercise. Previously the closest fitness facilities on lower campus were Bellefield Hall or small workout rooms within students’ dorms.
Lorraine Scott said she is happy about the fitness center and the other renovations.
“It’s amazing,” Scott, a junior English literature and psychology major, said, “It’s the best floor in the Union. I don’t want people to know about it.”
Charisse Pearson-Bey, a junior finance and nonprofit management major, said she is excited that the third floor includes so many different facilities.
“I’m so happy I don’t have to go to the Pete right now. I can study, take a break from studying, work out, take a shower, then go back to studying,” Pearson-Bey said.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:40 am

andyt andyt:
Well, I'm advocating for strict secularism, so the Muslims would be out of luck. Have never heard about people having to renounce their beliefs - I'm sure you're twisting a case where they want to act on their beliefs on the job, and it conflicts with the demands of that job.

I'm sure you can find instances where you feel Christians didn't get the same deal as other groups, but as the OP, and many other instances, far more often it's the Christians who are dictating policy based on their beliefs. And all this would stop, for everybody, if we were strictly secular in the public sphere.

As for your first link - bullshit. Says that all campus groups must not discriminate on the basis of religion. Nowhere does it say Muslims were allowed to discriminate but Christians weren't.

$1:

What's wrong with you that you would post such obvious bullshit that's so easy to refute?
Yeah he is just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. He still won't address his comment about the real threat of Muslim's who keep killing people in the US.

Some kind of paranoid delusional fantasy where all the Muslim's are out to get him.

Attachments:
Paranoia.jpg
Paranoia.jpg [ 97.16 KiB | Viewed 178 times ]
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:12 pm

andyt andyt:

The Christian group is being forced to allow non-Christians as leaders in the group while no such condition is being placed on other groups. Like should the Campus Democrats be forced to accept Republicans as leaders and vice-versa?

andyt andyt:
$1:

The so-called refelction room includes a foot bath for moslems to wash their feet. Non-moslems are not supposed to use it for any other purpose.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:15 pm

Delwin Delwin:
Some kind of paranoid delusional fantasy where all the Muslim's are out to get him.

Given that ISIS is threatening to attack Canada it can be said that they are out to get you.

In that regard I sincerely wish them all success. [B-o]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:36 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Benn Benn:
When you go deep enough in science of the beginning and creationism both ultimately require assumptions, which is just another way of saying Faith in their respective beliefs.

Incorrect. The Big Bang theory has conditions that can be tested and measured and those can be replicated. We are confident we know exactly how and when the Big Bang occurred, and can replicate this mathematically and experimentally up to a few millionths of a second after it's beginning. It's those few millionths of a second we are exploring now with the LHC.

Religion has no such evidence backing it up.

I can't fathom someone disagreeing or debating this.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:05 pm

Evidence of the Big Bang theory is in no way disproves the existence of God. It actually offers very little philosophically since it is still unknown what came before the Big Bang. And that we know exactly when it happened is false.

The Big Bang theorizes that about 14 billion years ago all of the matter in the universe was contained in a single point. It doesn't even provide evidence of the origin of the universe as some scientist believe that although the universe is expanding, the fact that all matter is acting on each other gravitationally will eventually lead to a "Big Crunch" once all the expansive kinetic energy from the Big Bang has been converted to other forms and the metric expansion of the universe is reversed.

Once all of the matter converges again at a single point, this build up of energy in turn leads to another "Big Bang."

This of course is a theory, as is the Big Bang.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:58 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The Christian group is being forced to allow non-Christians as leaders in the group

I am curious about this statement. How the heck are "leaders " chosen in this group? How can a "leader" be imposed on a group?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:14 pm

fifeboy fifeboy:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The Christian group is being forced to allow non-Christians as leaders in the group

I am curious about this statement. How the heck are "leaders " chosen in this group? How can a "leader" be imposed on a group?

One of the requirements of leadership for the Christian group is that the leader should be a Christian. This is unacceptable to the University because it's not an 'inclusive' policy.

The issue is heading for the Federal courts where the 'inclusivity' requirement will be overturned as a violation of the Freedom of Association clause of the First Amendment.

The reason this is important is because if non-Christians (like militant atheists) can join the organization in sizable numbers then they can take over control of it and do whatever they want with it.

Before you respond to this know that if the courts let this stand (which they won't) then the very first thing I'll do is sign up for classes at the local JC with a bunch of my sh*t disturbing friends, insist on joining the moslem club and then throw a pork bar-be-que. :twisted:

And with God as my witness, I will do this.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:59 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

The so-called refelction room includes a foot bath for moslems to wash their feet. Non-moslems are not supposed to use it for any other purpose.

Say it isn't so. the horror. Do you have a hard on for being able to use a foot bath for other purposes? Like what? And that foot bath is in the bathroom, where the showers are, not in the reflection room. All areas open to everybody. It seems whatever you read gets twisted in that mind of yours - that's no way to go thru life, son. All that fear, you're going to burn out your adrenals and collapse one of these days.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 ... 9  Next