CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:12 am

Full title from Reuters:

Americans in UK warned to keep 'low profile' during Trump visit

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN1K01X5

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - The U.S. Embassy in London issued an alert on Tuesday to Americans in the British capital, warning them to keep a low profile during President Donald Trump’s visit later this week in case protests against him turn violent.

Trump arrives in Britain on Thursday after a NATO summit and thousands of protesters are expected to join demonstrations during his visit, including plans to fly a blimp over parliament portraying Trump as an orange, snarling baby.

While Britain regards the United States as its closest ally, some Britons see Trump as crude, volatile and opposed to their values on a range of issues. His comments on militant attacks in Britain and his re-tweeting of anti-Muslim videos posted by a leader of a far-right UK party sparked anger.

More than 50,000 people have signed up to demonstrate in London on Friday against his visit although a counter-gathering to welcome him is also planned.

“Numerous demonstrations are being planned for July 12 to 14, 2018, surrounding the visit of the President of the United States to the United Kingdom,” the U.S. embassy said in the alert on its website.

Never in my life did I imagine that the UK would be the subject of a travel advisory by the State Department.

:(

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 am

This has been going on for decades, The smart US tourist always pretends to be Canadian when travelling to Europe, carrying a back pack with the Maple or a jacket with a Canadian flag etc etc so they are treated much better in Europe.

Europeans don't like Americans very much, come to think of it, not many in the world do, they just tolerate them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

desertdude wrote:
Europeans don't like Americans very much...

And I imagine after this week President Trump will oblige the Europeans by closing a bunch of our bases in Europe and bringing home our troops and their billions of dollars in payroll money, too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:24 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Never in my life did I imagine that the UK would be the subject of a travel advisory by the State Department.

:? :?

Further proof of just how screwed up the UK really is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

BartSimpson wrote:
desertdude wrote:

And I imagine after this week President Trump will oblige the Europeans by closing a bunch of our bases in Europe and bringing home our troops and their billions of dollars in payroll money, too.

I suspect this is and always has been the primary reason for the capitulation to Russia, for the upcoming sabotage that will destroy NATO, and for the sudden idolatry of North Korea. Bring the troops home and have them on hand to use as a cudgel on domestic enemies just prior to the 2020 election. When the inevitable Reichstag fire "terrorist" attack eventually happens expect the Posse Commitatus act to be abolished immediately afterwards, freeing the executive branch completely to deploy active military personnel (and not just the National Guard either) anywhere it wants to and against whoever it wants to inside the United States. All for reasons of national "security", of course.

Christ, it's turning into an avalanche with every passing day. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:47 am

desertdude wrote:
This has been going on for decades, The smart US tourist always pretends to be Canadian when travelling to Europe, carrying a back pack with the Maple or a jacket with a Canadian flag etc etc so they are treated much better in Europe.

Europeans don't like Americans very much, come to think of it, not many in the world do, they just tolerate them.

If I had a nickel for every American I've met overseas masquerading as a Canadian, I wouldn't have to work for several months.

BartSimpson wrote:
desertdude wrote:

That's one of the biggest reasons why Americans have such a negative image overseas - people run into too many testosterone-raging twenty somethings in the US Armed Forces who get drunk, chase tail and do all the other stupid things twenty-somethings do.

And let's be honest, the only reason the US has kept those bases open is to extend its reach around the globe even more than it had in the Cold War. The Germans were momentarily sad to see Canada close their few bases in SW Germany, but in many case, the land has been re-purposed into other uses and I doubt many Germans even remember we were ever there.

If the US wanted to scale back, it's had ample opportunity to do so in the past 25+ years since the fall of the USSR. The US has simply found strategic reasons NOT to close them.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Thanos wrote:
...the upcoming sabotage that will destroy NATO...

NATO's biggest upcoming problems are:

1. The failure of too many members to buck up and pay their fair share of defense.

2. The European Union. This is actually the biggest issue facing NATO because the EU is not at all a signatory to NATO and once the EU takes control of all member nation militaries then the NATO treaty will be abrogated for the EU unless the EU Parliament negotiates membership AND the USA, UK, and Canada agree to that request.

2a. I suspect the EU Parliament will decline membership in NATO simply because there are no indications that they will seek said membership.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:13 pm

bootlegga wrote:
That's one of the biggest reasons why Americans have such a negative image overseas - people run into too many testosterone-raging twenty somethings in the US Armed Forces who get drunk, chase tail and do all the other stupid things twenty-somethings do.

Yet those are precisely the qualities evidenced by an effective cohort of warriors.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
bootlegga wrote:

Yet those are precisely the qualities evidenced by an effective cohort of warriors.

While I agree, I thought discipline was also part of being warriors. Learn to turn it off.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:49 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Full title from Reuters:

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - The U.S. Embassy in London issued an alert on Tuesday to Americans in the British capital, warning them to keep a low profile during President Donald Trump’s visit later this week in case protests against him turn violent.

Trump arrives in Britain on Thursday after a NATO summit and thousands of protesters are expected to join demonstrations during his visit, including plans to fly a blimp over parliament portraying Trump as an orange, snarling baby.

While Britain regards the United States as its closest ally, some Britons see Trump as crude, volatile and opposed to their values on a range of issues. His comments on militant attacks in Britain and his re-tweeting of anti-Muslim videos posted by a leader of a far-right UK party sparked anger.

More than 50,000 people have signed up to demonstrate in London on Friday against his visit although a counter-gathering to welcome him is also planned.

“Numerous demonstrations are being planned for July 12 to 14, 2018, surrounding the visit of the President of the United States to the United Kingdom,” the U.S. embassy said in the alert on its website.

It’s interesting one of my dad's uncles didn’t have that problem but then again it was 1943 and he was flying B17s bombing Germany until he was shot down. Me being me I would wear an A2 jacket. If that irks anybody I will tell them of my cousin and many others like him who wore these in graves there. I guess that would make a non PC yank.

I know in today's world nobody cares much about what occurred then but I would never have thought that in the UK Americans had better stay indoors or lie about their nationality.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:15 pm

Americans keeping a low profile will only happen when chickens grow lips and pigs and sheep learn how to fly....

......oh wait a minute......

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:29 pm

When I was planning a trip to Iran the Government advised me to keep my head low and pack light in case I had to leave ASAP because the embassy was closed. So the idea being Canadian gives you a free pass isn't true.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:33 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Full title from Reuters:

Quote:

...be nice if you kept a low profile for the other 51 weeks, too or do you never tire of hearing yourselves boast and bully?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
desertdude wrote:

You like that idea, do you Comrade?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:47 pm

martin14 wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

:? :?

Further proof of just how screwed up the UK really is.

Further proof of just what an evil fecking bastard Trump is.