Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

Warnings: (20%)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:14 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Beaver,

Your post about the judges (there's two of them) almost belongs in the misconduct topic.

Had I lived in Texas I'd have voted these two tyrants out as well.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 322222.php

Edit: I would not be surprised if these two fuckfaces were getting kickbacks from the private prisons they've been supporting.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 944652.php

Yeah the first thing I thought of was Pennsylvania's “cash for kids” scandal from a few years back where 2 youth court judges helped shut down the public youth prison in favour of a private one they were secretly invested in, and then unfairly sent thousands of youths there on months-long sentences for petty first time offences like a 14-yr old shoplifting a $2 bottle of nutmeg and another for creating a myspace page mocking her school principal. The state had to pay millions in settlement and the judges are now behind bars but they got away with their scam for years simply by claiming to be tough old-fashioned “zero tolerance” judges and one kid comitted suicide as a result.

They made a documentary about it: unbelievable that this could happen nowadays

Trailer:

Full documentary:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:39 pm

martin14 wrote:
Sessions just resigned. Or rather, Trump just retired him, like Flake. :lol:

I've seen fired and I've seen resigned. Doesn't that matter? If he resigns Trump can appoint a new one, if he was fired, doesn't it fall to the next in line?

I read that in passing today while I was doing other shit so I don't know the validity of that distinction.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

Warnings: (40%)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Tricks wrote:
martin14 wrote:
Sessions just resigned. Or rather, Trump just retired him, like Flake. :lol:

I've seen fired and I've seen resigned. Doesn't that matter? If he resigns Trump can appoint a new one, if he was fired, doesn't it fall to the next in line?

I read that in passing today while I was doing other shit so I don't know the validity of that distinction.

The resignation letter says Sessions resigned.
All cabinet posts serve at the pleasure of the President, he can appoint or remove
as he sees fit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:46 pm

The letter says, “at your request, I am submitting my rrsignation”. Ergo, he was fired.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:15 am

The media's Democrat darlings of the midterm elections all failed

Quote:
After the midterm election results, future Democratic candidates in tough races might hope that the national media completely ignore their campaigns, lest they find themselves in the same position as Beto O’Rourke, Andrew Gillum, and, probably, Stacey Abrams.

All three were affectionately covered as part of the unrealized “blue wave,” but both O’Rourke, the Democratic nominee for Senate in Texas, and Gillum, the Democratic nominee in Florida’s gubernatorial race, lost to a Republican. Votes are still being counted in Georgia but Abrams looks set to lose her governor’s race, as well.

The media called O’Rourke “a rock star,” “Kennedyesque,” and “cool.” Yet Sen. Ted Cruz, universally reviled in Washington, handily won re-election.

When President Trump called Gillum “a stone cold thief” over allegations of corruption during his tenure as Tallahassee mayor, the press attempted to run interference for Gillum, calling it “racist.”

He conceded his race Tuesday night to Republican opponent Rep. Ron DeSantis.

Oprah Winfrey knocked on doors for Abrams, and the New York Times hailed her for her “pragmatism.”

Though Abrams has yet to accept defeat to Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp, the Associated Press has Kemp with just more than 50 percent of the vote, the requirement to avoid a run-off election in December...

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... all-failed

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:22 am

xerxes wrote:
The letter says, “at your request, I am submitting my rrsignation”. Ergo, he was fired.

Sessions' replacement is even worse than the original. Apparently he's another Trump-grade grifter that's been involved in everything from a crooked scam involving selling hot-tubs to advocating Biblical law being imposed on America when he ran a senate campaign of his own.

It's no longer fatalism to suggest that things are only going to get worse with this regime. It's merely a statement of fact. It's like we're all locked up inside Trump University after dark. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:27 am

Welp protests are being planned for 5 pm today. Let's see what happens.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am

Thanos wrote:
xerxes wrote:

Sessions' replacement is even worse than the original. Apparently he's another Trump-grade grifter that's been involved in everything from a crooked scam involving selling hot-tubs to advocating Biblical law being imposed on America when he ran a senate campaign of his own.

It's no longer fatalism to suggest that things are only going to get worse with this regime. It's merely a statement of fact. It's like we're all locked up inside Trump University after dark. :|

Quote:
Donald Trump’s new acting attorney general was part of a company accused by the US government of running a multimillion-dollar scam.

Matthew Whitaker was paid to sit on the advisory board of World Patent Marketing, which was ordered in May this year to pay a $26m settlement following legal action by federal authorities, which said it tricked aspiring inventors.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... al-us-firm

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 pm

Bill Whittle and Panel explain the positives that came out of the Midterm elections from a Conservative perspective.

Now think about this from today's news Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized.

Relax...

She just fell and fractured three ribs. But I had some of you worried for a bit there, didn't I? :wink: And not just about poor Ruth.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanos wrote:
xerxes wrote:

Sessions' replacement has to be confirmed by the Senate. That's the law.
So he's not quite Sessions' replacement yet.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:12 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Beaver,

Your post about the judges (there's two of them) almost belongs in the misconduct topic.

Had I lived in Texas I'd have voted these two tyrants out as well.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texa ... 322222.php

Edit: I would not be surprised if these two fuckfaces were getting kickbacks from the private prisons they've been supporting.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/h ... 944652.php

Yeah the first thing I thought of was Pennsylvania's “cash for kids” scandal from a few years back where 2 youth court judges helped shut down the public youth prison in favour of a private one they were secretly invested in, and then unfairly sent thousands of youths there on months-long sentences for petty first time offences like a 14-yr old shoplifting a $2 bottle of nutmeg and another for creating a myspace page mocking her school principal. The state had to pay millions in settlement and the judges are now behind bars but they got away with their scam for years simply by claiming to be tough old-fashioned “zero tolerance” judges and one kid comitted suicide as a result.

They made a documentary about it: unbelievable that this could happen nowadays

Trailer:

Full documentary:

Thank you for the links. I will be watching them tonight (we get You Tube via DISH Network so we can see it on the TV).

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Robair wrote:

They'll get around it by calling that fucker "interim". Given what happened with good ol' Bart O'Kavanaugh during the judiciary committee hearingsm counting on the Senate to do the right thing is suicidal. Unfortunately we're seeing right in front of us how weak the law is when an entire political party and every segment of the government that's controlled by that party engage in a determined campaign to undermine, if not outright destroy, the law they swore to uphold.

There's no great moment to be had in the Dems winning the House. It won't be enough to stop the other side.

Last edited by Thanos on Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Robair wrote:

Are you sure about that? I heard the US constitution says the Attorney General serves at the pleasure of the President. Wouldn't that mean the President hires or fires an Attorney General "at his pleasure."

Not an expert myself though. Do you have a link handy attesting to what you claim?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Robair wrote:

Not quite.

I believe he can be an 'acting' AG for as much as a year without Senate approval so he is definitely Sessions' immediate replacement.

I suspect he'll soon be the permanent replacement, too.

Regardless of what happens with this guy, Sessions is out and the Mueller investigation is now going to have to produce something concrete showing that the Trump campaign 'colluded' with Russia and they also have to demonstrate how that is illegal.

Or else whoever the AG is they'll have to shut it down and put it to an end because two and a half years of this shit is enough.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm

OK, I think I've got it now.

"Serves at the pleasure of the president..." seems to mean the President can fire the AG at will.

But the Constitution has an "appointments clause" and that says "the Attorney General is nominated by the President and appointed with the advice and consent of the Senate."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ey_General

The far left Slate makes a case for why they believe that means, or at least they hope it means, Whitaker can't take charge of the Attorney General's office.

https://amp.slate.com/news-and-politics ... legal.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  Next