Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Also, I wanted to post this a while back but it totally slipped my mind. I'll admit, its not from a newspaper and the writing is rather one sided, but there are links in the piece to police and eyewitness statements, so you can use as many grains of salt as you wish.

In 2010, Cleveland police attacked a disabled teen and shouted racial slurs at his family. Today, the cops still have badges and guns.

$1:
One year ago today, the City agreed to pay a $250,000 settlement stemming from the 2010 incident, but no indication exists that Cleveland has held the officers to account for their actions.

According to the 2011 federal civil-rights complaint the Ortiz family filed, on August 16, 2010, Juan was playing in the yard at his west-side apartment complex listening to his Walkman. There was a robbery reported near the complex, and police were looking for a good-Samaritan white male in his fifties, possibly wearing a red shirt, who had turned in a wallet to the apartment manager. Patrol officer Brian Kazimer shouted at and began chasing Juan.

Startled, Juan ran to his parents on the other side of the parking lot. According to eyewitness testimony, Kazimer wrenched Juan from his mother's arms and slammed him against a parked SUV. Kazimer pinned Juan to the hot car―causing him to sustain burns to his lower abdomen requiring surgery. Kazimer yanked Juan's arms over his head, employing grossly excessive force to restrain a non-resisting suspect who Kazimer admitted had "surrendered" before Kazimer laid a hand on Juan. Kazimer told Juan's parents they were "lucky" he "didn't shoot" Juan.

https://www.chandralaw.com/blog/in-2010-cleveland-police-attacked-a-disabled-teen-and-shouted-racial-slurs-at-his-family-today-the-cops-still-have-badges-and-guns

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
xerxes xerxes:
Ex-police chief, 2 officers framed teen for burglaries in tiny Miami town, feds say

$1:
The former police chief and two officers in Biscayne Park face federal charges of framing a 16-year-old in four unsolved burglaries. The motivation, prosecutors charged Monday, was keeping a perfect score on crime statistics...

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article212948924.html

The rest of the article is a doozy too with all the poor choice in law enforcement hires that town has made.

You have to wonder how many other poor bastards are in prison just because some fucker with a badge wanted to make a quota. :|

When you have a for-profit prison system and system where law enforcement officers and prosecutors are elected based on their "tough on crime" stances, then there won't be a lot of incentive to investigate thoroughly and follow due process.

So probably a lot.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:26 pm

xerxes xerxes:
When you have a for-profit prison system and system where law enforcement officers and prosecutors are elected based on their "tough on crime" stances, then there won't be a lot of incentive to investigate thoroughly and follow due process.

So probably a lot.

Can't argue that in the least. :cry:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:07 pm

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/oh ... 0e2742ec43
It is a major problem when cops like this simply get fired and not criminally charged. He is appealing his firing, and stands a good chance of getting his job back. Even when cops lose their appeal or choose not to appeal, they end up working for another law enforcement agency somewhere else. Forcing someone against their will into a vehicle while armed is kidnapping. He states that he is conducting an investigation yet fails to realize for several minutes that the person he is looking for is in the motor vehicle. That is some top notch investigating there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:58 am

Cops taze a black man for absolutely no reason.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-blackman-tased-police-video-lancaster-pennsylvania-danene-sorace-sean-williams-a8422321.html

This in completely outrageous. They give the poor guy contradictory commands, then attack him when he can’t comply. That cops needs to be in jail.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 am

xerxes xerxes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-blackman-tased-police-video-lancaster-pennsylvania-danene-sorace-sean-williams-a8422321.html

This in completely outrageous. They give the poor guy contradictory commands, then attack him when he can’t comply. That cops needs to be in jail.

You ever notice that the police mostly tend to pull this shit in cities and states that restrict people's rights to carry guns?

Mark my words, one of these days some one of these thugs with a badge is going to pull a stunt like this and get his fucking head blown off by an armed bystander.

And I will absolutely [cheer] the bystander who steps up to defend someone from an armed criminal.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:03 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
xerxes xerxes:

You ever notice that the police mostly tend to pull this shit in cities and states that restrict people's rights to carry guns?

Mark my words, one of these days some one of these thugs with a badge is going to pull a stunt like this and get his fucking head blown off by an armed bystander.

And I will absolutely [cheer] the bystander who steps up to defend someone from an armed criminal.

It stems from poor training. What the states needs are Police Colleges and Standardized Training.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:32 am

llama66 llama66:
It stems from poor training. What the states needs are Police Colleges and Standardized Training.

The training that never occurs with these people (and I know as I am still POST certified in California) is they never get trained on civil rights, they never get trained on liability, and they almost never get trained on de-escalation.

Quite the opposite.

They get trained to 'take control' of every situation by asserting their authority and getting people conditioned to comply by starting an interaction with simple but sometimes illegal orders such as "I need to see your ID" when there's no PC (probable cause) and when they order people to "stand over here/there" when they have no legal justification to do so.

Then when someone refuses to go along with their patently illegal orders they escalate the interaction and then tase/beat/arrest/kill because someone had the temerity to defy their abuse of authority.

Or like we see in the above video they escalate just because they feel like it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:21 am

To be a Security Guard in Alberta, you have to take a 40 manditory training course. Then the company that hires you usually gets you PPCT and NVCI. Personally I've taken

Active Assailant Response
Threat/IED Response
Conflict Resolution
Evidence Gathering/Crime Scene Protection
Flash Mob Training
Handcuffing/Use of Force
ICS 100
Leadership
Customer Service
Standard First Aid
Tactical Communications
WHIMIS
Diversity Awareness
Harassment in the workplace
Report Writing
Legal and Liabilities Training
Training Under the Canada Evidence Act and Criminal Code

In addition to the training I received when I was CPO2 for the City of Calgary.

It comes down to training and understanding your role in the Community. Police are there as much to help people as they are to enforce the rules.

The best piece of advise I ever got was from my ex-partner when I worked for the city. He said you need to learn the difference between the letter of the law and spirit it was written in. I see many cops understand the letter, but few ever understand the spirit of the law. It helped me develop my discretion, which is key for anyone in an enforcement role.

Canada also developed a "use of force framework" model which police are supposed to follow.
RCMP model

National model

Does it stop stupidity? probably not. But I'd like to think it reduces it greatly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
xerxes xerxes:

I get what you’re saying in principle, but I really hope not because things will go quickly downhill from there.

It’s been said before and it’ll have to be said ad nauseam, but it’s all about training. Too many cops are, like you said, trained to impose themselves on a situation and not to de-escalate situations. Seriously, every police force in the US should be forced to watch the video of the Toronto officer who apprehended the fuckface who ran over people because that is how it’s done.

Eventually, and I know this concept is anathema in the US, but there is going to have to be a national standard of training of police officers because from the sounds of it, it is too hodgepodge all across the country. National standards of training and on top of that, higher standrds or conduct too.

There’s a story I saw a few days ago, I think it was in Pittsburgh, where a cop shot a black teen in the back and killed him. He was unarmed and running away. The cop had been on the force for all of 90 mins after being let go from a few other PD’s for violent behaviour on and off the job. He’s been charged with manslaughter, but that paradigm needs to change.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:59 pm

https://www.themaven.net/pinacnews/publ ... Xpl90gmgg/
Now this is some scary shit! A man in Florida is pulled over for a traffic infraction. The police want to search the car, and the man refuses. The police brought out the drug detection dog and say that the dog alerted on the car. The police searched the car and found a small amount (misdemeanor) of weed. The police than want to search the mans two cell phones. The man refuses. The cops get a warrant to search the phone. The man refuses to give his codes to unlock the phones and gets sentenced to 60 days in jail for contempt.

Talk about a fishing expedition! The police did not find any scales, plastic baggies, etc. The man was not charged with distribution and the amount of pot was below felony weight (20 grams). If the man is not suspected of trafficking, than why do the police want to look into his phones? How is that any of their business? What judge in his right mind would go along with this horseshit and grant a warrant? Apple refuses to unlock their phone for the government and nothing happens. Some working stiff refuses to unlock his phone and he gets sent away for two months. How is that not a police state when the police want to go through your phone for simple misdemeanor charges like simple possession? Scary shit indeed!

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:52 am

rickc rickc:
How is that not a police state when the police want to go through your phone for simple misdemeanor charges like simple possession? Scary shit indeed!

Have you tried crossing a border recently?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/usa- ... -1.4494371

And on that, the US Customs service claims they can do searches within 120 miles of a border or coastline. Basically 2/3 of the population is subject to CBS searches, at anytime.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrants-ri ... ced-border

Don't even get me started on the automated cameras there are driving around and recording license plates - and keeping that information indefinitely.

So I would say that it is very much like a police state. :(

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:35 am

Here's a new one today Rick; Malls in California are recording people's license plates and forwarding that to ICE, as well as a company that keeps that information and sells it.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/10/1755 ... ne-company

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 am

rickc rickc:
https://www.themaven.net/pinacnews/public-records/judge-jails-man-for-60-days-for-failing-to-unlock-his-cell-phone-4EGFW__DYEagAXpl90gmgg/
Now this is some scary shit! A man in Florida is pulled over for a traffic infraction. The police want to search the car, and the man refuses. The police brought out the drug detection dog and say that the dog alerted on the car. The police searched the car and found a small amount (misdemeanor) of weed. The police than want to search the mans two cell phones. The man refuses. The cops get a warrant to search the phone. The man refuses to give his codes to unlock the phones and gets sentenced to 60 days in jail for contempt.

Talk about a fishing expedition! The police did not find any scales, plastic baggies, etc. The man was not charged with distribution and the amount of pot was below felony weight (20 grams). If the man is not suspected of trafficking, than why do the police want to look into his phones? How is that any of their business? What judge in his right mind would go along with this horseshit and grant a warrant? Apple refuses to unlock their phone for the government and nothing happens. Some working stiff refuses to unlock his phone and he gets sent away for two months. How is that not a police state when the police want to go through your phone for simple misdemeanor charges like simple possession? Scary shit indeed!

The judge may well find himself removed from the bench for violating the man's Fifth Amendment right to refuse to incriminate himself. Fucking son of a bitch should know better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am

The chief wanted perfect stats, so cops were told to pin crimes on black people, probe found

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article213647764.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2376 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 92  93  94  95  96  97  98 ... 159  Next