bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:42 am

xerxes xerxes:
The one from Chicago is a bit of a dicey one IMO. Right before he was shot, the kid was complying with the officer. He dropped his gun and raised his hands as ordered and he still got shot.

That one is dicey, and my guess is the cop didn't see him drop the gun, and as a result, he will likely get off because of it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:52 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
rickc rickc:
I have NO problem with cops shooting armed fleeing felons. That is EXACTLY what Daunte Wright was.

I agree with you 100%, except right there. It's not up to the police to judge and hand down a sentence. If a perp is fleeing, let them. Especially if you know who they are. They may evade today, but tomorrow you bust down their door with SWAT and make sure the judge knows he fled lawful arrest so time is added in consideration.

I know it tough making those calls in the moment, but it beats having to live with killing someone.

^ This.

Whether he got pulled over for an air freshener or expired license plates, neither was a reason to shoot and kill him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 am

Police have to remember they are a glorified taxi service.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 am

llama66 llama66:
Police have to remember they are a glorified taxi service.

No, they are there as their mottos go 'to protect and serve'. That means protecting the perps as well as protecting the victim. Gone it seems are the days that 'it is better that ten guilty go free than one innocent is punished'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:40 pm

rickc rickc:
I would also include the shooting of Daunte Wright as well. He could have went along peacefully with his arrest. He chose to batter the police, 2 felonies. He chose to flee the police, another felony. Its one thing for an unarmed person to flee the cops. Armed and dangerous is quite another. This guy had an outstanding arrest warrant for a firearms violation. The police know this.

Then why did they fail so hard on the arrest? Why cuff him right next to an open door to his vehicle? Like if that's a possibility, don't be a fucking idiot about it.

Do you even train cops in the USA? When I saw that video the first thing I said was "why are they not searching him/cuffing him at the rear of the vehicle?" That's rookie shit.

Secondly, having a cop pull a firearm by mistake, waving it around for a few seconds, and shooting it before realising it's not a taser? Are you fucking serious?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:44 pm

If that was the case it was sheer incompetence to mistake the butt of a service firearm for the handle of a taser. Or the officer was in some kind of panic mode where it wasn't warranted at all. Either way that shows a severe failure of training and psych-screening of the officer who fired the shots because someone that inept should have been flushed out of the academy within weeks of entering schooling.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:52 pm

She was a 22 year veteran was she not?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:28 pm

Don't know. Haven't paid much attention to that particular incident. Seems logical to me though that any officer who mistakes the grip of a pistol for that of a taser, when they're obviously designed differently enough by their manufacturers in order to prevent that kind of confusion, is most likely the sort of person who never should have become a cop in the first place. I don't think that automatically discounting ineptitude and charging into racism-only as the reason for too many incidents is particularly wise, not when human error is responsible every day across the entire planet for far more tragedies than active malice/hatred typically causes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:50 pm

Scape Scape:
She was a 22 year veteran was she not?

26 year veteran to be precise.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:01 am

Thanos Thanos:
officer who mistakes the grip of a pistol for that of a taser, when they're obviously designed differently enough by their manufacturers in order to prevent that kind of confusion, is most likely the sort of person who never should have become a cop in the first place.

https://www.bbc.com/news/56734989

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:59 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
rickc rickc:
I have NO problem with cops shooting armed fleeing felons. That is EXACTLY what Daunte Wright was.

I agree with you 100%, except right there. It's not up to the police to judge and hand down a sentence. If a perp is fleeing, let them. Especially if you know who they are. They may evade today, but tomorrow you bust down their door with SWAT and make sure the judge knows he fled lawful arrest so time is added in consideration.

I know it tough making those calls in the moment, but it beats having to live with killing someone.

Look at well going to the home of David Koresh went. Police never know what is waiting for them inside a house, or how many innocent civilians are inside. Daunte Write was getting into a car where the inside was visible. There were no long barrel high powered rifles/shotguns visible. The police could visibly see one asshole fleeing felon and one civilian. There were no children present at the scene. Why should the police have to give up this known tactical advantage to face God only knows what later? Sending swat to a home endangers innocent adults and children inside the home. It endangers innocent neighbors who get caught up in the crossfire. It endangers innocent people when swat shows up to the wrong address, which happens all the time. It turns out that career criminals tend to lie about their address when being booked. Who knew? I am sick and tired of innocent people suffering all because some POS thug wannabe cannot take their bust like a man. If you are armed with a weapon or a car and you run from the police, than you get your ass blown away. Its always been that way. Its only lately that we are trying to spin it as to make the cops the bad guys in this situation. Its not the cops handing down a sentence, its some dumbass making a very poor decision. A poor decision that makes for a bad ending. As long as the dumbass making the bad decision is the only one being taken out, I could not care less. Daunte Wright made a bad decision. He paid the price for his bad decision. No one else had to pay, nor should they. Its Darwin's law in practise. I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Don't know. Haven't paid much attention to that particular incident. Seems logical to me though that any officer who mistakes the grip of a pistol for that of a taser, when they're obviously designed differently enough by their manufacturers in order to prevent that kind of confusion, is most likely the sort of person who never should have become a cop in the first place. I don't think that automatically discounting ineptitude and charging into racism-only as the reason for too many incidents is particularly wise, not when human error is responsible every day across the entire planet for far more tragedies than active malice/hatred typically causes.

They aren't even worn on the same side of the body specifically for this reason.

So, either police forces in America are okay with one or all of the above
Hiring incompetent fuck heads
A complete and utter lack of training or standards
Full blown racists

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:14 pm

rickc rickc:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
rickc rickc:

Look at well going to the home of David Koresh went. Police never know what is waiting for them inside a house, or how many innocent civilians are inside. Daunte Write was getting into a car where the inside was visible. There were no long barrel high powered rifles/shotguns visible. The police could visibly see one asshole fleeing felon and one civilian. There were no children present at the scene. Why should the police have to give up this known tactical advantage to face God only knows what later? Sending swat to a home endangers innocent adults and children inside the home. It endangers innocent neighbors who get caught up in the crossfire. It endangers innocent people when swat shows up to the wrong address, which happens all the time. It turns out that career criminals tend to lie about their address when being booked. Who knew? I am sick and tired of innocent people suffering all because some POS thug wannabe cannot take their bust like a man. If you are armed with a weapon or a car and you run from the police, than you get your ass blown away. Its always been that way. Its only lately that we are trying to spin it as to make the cops the bad guys in this situation. Its not the cops handing down a sentence, its some dumbass making a very poor decision. A poor decision that makes for a bad ending. As long as the dumbass making the bad decision is the only one being taken out, I could not care less. Daunte Wright made a bad decision. He paid the price for his bad decision. No one else had to pay, nor should they. Its Darwin's law in practise. I say good riddance to bad rubbish.

What happened until innocent until proven guilty? He wasn't convicted of anything.

This is a complete departure from your previous statements, like the one in this thread:
post2131103?hilit=%20innocent%20proven%20guilty#p2131103

So what changed?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:50 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9516971/Woman-dementia-73-sat-jail-cell-without-medical-care-SIX-HOURS-cops-laughed.html

This one is pretty cringe-inducing:

How callous Colorado cops left 73-year-old dementia sufferer in a cell for six HOURS after breaking her arm and dislocating her shoulder over $13 stolen groceries - and laughed as she cried out for a doctor

These clowns arrested a 73 year old, 80 lb woman with dementia for shoplifting (she had no idea she shoplifted it seems). During the arrest they slammed her to the ground, dislocating her shoulder and fracturing her arm. She was left in a cell for six hours with no medical treatment while right outside her cell, the cops at the Loveland Colorado police station all reviewed the body cam and laughed about it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2378 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 136  137  138  139  140  141  142 ... 159  Next