bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:16 pm

Sorry no text here, not even with the disclaimer of Fair Use. USA Today is known to aggressively sue anyone infringing on their copyrights and I do not want to expose Trevor to that kind of thing. Therefore this is a link only.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... e/2019443/

Summary: Barack Obama is exercising the kinds of powers that were presented as impeachable charges against Richard Nixon. And not a lot of people are questioning how the office of the President has morphed from a limited executive authority to what is in some cases an unlimited power that cloaks itself in impenetrable secrecy.

And to be sure, I lay the blame for this at the feet of one George W. Bush who used the post 9/11 environment as a tool for laying the foundation of an authoritarian state.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:35 pm

How on earth can teh writer of that article mention Libya as unilateral military actio n and nort mention Iraq?

Well I know how. These columnists have a very short memory. That's why everything is so exciting to them--it's like those poor souls who only have a memory of about 15 minutes, and are in a constant state of OMG. That's your average political columnist. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
How on earth can the writer of that article mention Libya as unilateral military action and not mention Iraq?

Because of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Resolution

Quote:
The Iraq Resolution or the Iraq War Resolution (formally the Authorization for Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002,[1] Pub.L. 107–243, 116 Stat. 1498, enacted October 16, 2002, H.J.Res. 114) is a joint resolution passed by the United States Congress in October 2002 as Public Law No: 107-243, authorizing military action against Iraq.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes well rating unilateral military action in Libya, which resulted in realtviely few casualties, to the unilateral invasion of Iraq, which resulted in at least tens of thousands of civilan casualties relegates this piece to partisan hackery. No sense of scale.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:13 pm

No one's shown that President Obama has been directly implicated in any serious crimes or cover-ups the way President Nixon clearly was. Until that happens all this "Imperial Presidency" talk is really just the usual griping from folks who are quite vocal about how they don't like the guy currently in office but are usually silent when one of their own is in charge.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:39 pm

Zipperfish wrote:
Yes well rating unilateral military action in Libya, which resulted in realtviely few casualties, to the unilateral invasion of Iraq, which resulted in at least tens of thousands of civilan casualties relegates this piece to partisan hackery. No sense of scale.

"Sense of scale" means absolutely nothing in the legal context.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:01 pm

I fail to see how Obama differs from any of his predecessors on any of the points described.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 am

BeaverFever wrote:
I fail to see how Obama differs from any of his predecessors on any of the points described.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... etive.html

Perhaps the info in that link will clear things up. President Obama ran on a platform of openess in government, kind of his version of glasnost. How about the fact that the AP has found that the Obama administration is 50% more likely to deny request made under the Freedom of information act (FOIA) than the Bush administration was. 50%!!! That is a huge increase. This from a guy who stated he wanted openess in government. What a croc! How about the fact that the Obama administration has prosecuted more whisteblowers under the espionage act than all prior administrations combined! That is not a typo, ALL PRIOR administrations combined. People who try to point out wrongdoing, fraud, waste,abuse, corruption,etc., are being fired, and sent to prison for speaking out. People like Mr. Kiriakou. He is a former CIA agent who is now in prison for speaking out on the CIA's use of torture.

Candidate Obama spoke out against the use of torture. He was going to close Gitmo and end the practice. Gitmo is still open. Government officials like Mr. Kiriakou who speak out against torture go to prison. Candidate Obama ran on a platform of open government. Once elected he then proceeds to deny FOIA requests at a 50% greater rate than the previous administration. He ran on an anti war platform. He takes four years to end one bullshit war. We still have troops nation building in another bullshit war.. Libya,and now Syria on the horizon. He railed against corruption on Wall street,yet he has made zero convictions. He was against gay marriage, untill he needed their votes. He thinks he has the power to circumvent the law and offered illegals amnesty when he needed to buy the Latin vote. He declares war on all whistleblowers who make his administration look bad, yet he himself leaks classified info whenever it benefits his administration and/or campaign.

You fail to see how President Obama is any different than his predecessors? You could be right. Mabey he isn't different. But he is worse! He is a liar, plain and simple. He is an opportunist. He is a man who believes that rules do not apply to him. He thinks he is above the law. He is a man with no moral compass. He changes his core beliefs on a whim to buy votes. He sells out working class Americans to buy Latin votes. He breaks his promises any time it suits him. In short, he is the ultimate politician! All this while getting a free pass from the press.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:49 am

The culture than Nixon embedded still rules, despite Obama.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:20 am

I don't imagine Nixon was that different than any one before or since. He just got caught. It's a nasty business to get to the top. There's an entire professional class of parasites whose job it is to get people elected. They typically not known for an overwhelming sense of moral responsibility, and they will cut to within a hair's breadth of what is legal. Indeed they often cross it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 am

DanSC wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

That's simply not true at all. Inasfar as the commission of an offence, it may not, but for sentencing, the enormity of the crime is most certainly considered.

If you and Bart had have complained, years back, that maybe presiding over the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians in unilateral military action based on a bunch of--at best--criminally wrong intelligence, then perhaps your moral outrage at drones might bear some listening to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 am

Zipperfish wrote:
DanSC wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

That's simply not true at all. Inasfar as the commission of an offence, it may not, but for sentencing, the enormity of the crime is most certainly considered.

If you and Bart had have complained, years back, that maybe presiding over the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqi civilians in unilateral military action based on a bunch of--at best--criminally wrong intelligence, then perhaps your moral outrage at drones might bear some listening to.

I am not kidding when I say this: As of now I will never complain ever again about potentially armed US drones being deployed over Canada since you're not going to listen anyway.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:45 am

Zipperfish wrote:
DanSC wrote:
Zipperfish wrote:

When does sentencing come into consideration on a constitutionality question?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:48 am

DanSC wrote:
When does sentencing come into consideration on a constitutionality question?

Read your post: "'Sense of scale' means absolutely nothing in the legal context."

That's the statement I refuted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:11 am

BartSimpson wrote:
I am not kidding when I say this: As of now I will never complain ever again about potentially armed US drones being deployed over Canada since you're not going to listen anyway.

Given the nature of the scumbags such drones would be targetting I won't be complaining at all about it either. 8)