CKA Forums
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/

Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/olympics-f57/canada-vs-the-world-pyeongchang-2018-t120769-165.html
Page 12 of 13

Author:  BartSimpson [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Three cheers to Canada for a great showing at the Olympics and for repeated displays of good sportsmanship!

[BB] [BB] [BB]

Author:  Sunnyways [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

In slightly related news, that reverse mortgage ad with Kurt Browning is the best of its genre. I love when the kid puts a sympathetic hand on his shoulder when he tells Browning he is old.

Author:  Sunnyways [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

BartSimpson wrote:
Three cheers to Canada for a great showing at the Olympics and for repeated displays of good sportsmanship!

[BB] [BB] [BB]


The general level of sportsmanship was conspicuous. We weren’t treated to the abuse of equipment and officials that we see every weekend. People whose dreams were just dashed managed to congratulate the winners with a smile.

Author:  martin14 [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Sunnyways wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:
Three cheers to Canada for a great showing at the Olympics and for repeated displays of good sportsmanship!

[BB] [BB] [BB]


The general level of sportsmanship was conspicuous. We weren’t treated to the abuse of equipment and officials that we see every weekend. People whose dreams were just dashed managed to congratulate the winners with a smile.



Except for one who didn't like the colour of the medal, and one stolen Hummer ! :lol:

Author:  Mowich [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Tricks wrote:
CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
- Canada's athletes STILL underachieved, and the consensus all over social media is "well, at least they tried, and/or got to the Olympics. Winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing. If we are not going there to win, then what the hell is the point?
We got a record medal count. If that is under achieving I'd love to see the critic's perfect lives.
Quote:
- What happened to our curling and bobsled teams???
Pressure happened. A family member is very high up in Curling Canada. He was in Korea for the games and was approached by the teams apologizing to him for disappointing Canada. That's not the way we should be receiving them for going out and playing their best. You don't deserve a winning team if you shit on them when they lose.

R=UP R=UP

Author:  Mowich [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

BartSimpson wrote:
Three cheers to Canada for a great showing at the Olympics and for repeated displays of good sportsmanship!

[BB] [BB] [BB]


R=UP R=UP

Author:  Sunnyways [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

martin14 wrote:
Except for one who didn't like the colour of the medal, and one stolen Hummer ! :lol:


In the lady’s defence, she is a hockey player.

Author:  Sunnyways [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

What a wonderful closing ceremony with some ‘sick’ guitar playing from this guy putting a whole new spin on Vivaldi:

http://time.com/5174577/yang-tae-hwan-g ... -ceremony/

The Winter Olympics usually manages to restore my faith in humanity a little bit. This time was no exception.

Author:  Tricks [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

martin14 wrote:
Tricks wrote:
CDN_PATRIOT wrote:
- What happened to our curling and bobsled teams???
Pressure happened. A family member is very high up in Curling Canada. He was in Korea for the games and was approached by the teams apologizing to him for disappointing Canada. That's not the way we should be receiving them for going out and playing their best. You don't deserve a winning team if you shit on them when they lose.


The media reported the selection procedure for the curling teams was changed between
Sochi and Korea.
Whatever changes were made should be undone, because both teams sucked right from the beginning.

Hopefully Curling Canada will just own up to it and make the changes.

:?: It was based off the winner of the olympic trials in Ottawa. AKA the Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings. It's been that way for like 20 years. Nothing changed, other than who won the trials.

Author:  martin14 [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Tricks wrote:
martin14 wrote:

The media reported the selection procedure for the curling teams was changed between
Sochi and Korea.
Whatever changes were made should be undone, because both teams sucked right from the beginning.

Hopefully Curling Canada will just own up to it and make the changes.

:?: It was based off the winner of the olympic trials in Ottawa. AKA the Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings. It's been that way for like 20 years. Nothing changed, other than who won the trials.



Qualification process

The qualification process for the 2017 Olympic trials differed slightly from the process used at the 2013 trials. For both the men's and women's categories, a pool of twenty-one teams is designated as eligible to represent Canada at the 2018 Olympics, based on rankings from the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS). From the pool of twenty-one, seven teams were selected to qualify directly for the 2017 Canadian Curling Trials in December. The remaining fourteen teams competed in a pre-trials tournament, and the top two teams qualified for the nine-team trials. The winner of each trials will represent Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Cana ... ing_Trials


Ask your guy what was really changed



http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curli ... -1.4551109

http://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics ... ld-improve

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4550867

Author:  Tricks [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

martin14 wrote:
Tricks wrote:
martin14 wrote:

The media reported the selection procedure for the curling teams was changed between
Sochi and Korea.
Whatever changes were made should be undone, because both teams sucked right from the beginning.

Hopefully Curling Canada will just own up to it and make the changes.

:?: It was based off the winner of the olympic trials in Ottawa. AKA the Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings. It's been that way for like 20 years. Nothing changed, other than who won the trials.



Qualification process

The qualification process for the 2017 Olympic trials differed slightly from the process used at the 2013 trials. For both the men's and women's categories, a pool of twenty-one teams is designated as eligible to represent Canada at the 2018 Olympics, based on rankings from the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS). From the pool of twenty-one, seven teams were selected to qualify directly for the 2017 Canadian Curling Trials in December. The remaining fourteen teams competed in a pre-trials tournament, and the top two teams qualified for the nine-team trials. The winner of each trials will represent Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Cana ... ing_Trials


Ask your guy what was really changed



http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/curli ... -1.4551109

http://nationalpost.com/sports/olympics ... ld-improve

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4550867


The curlers disagree with you. From your own link.

Quote:
Koe doesn’t think there’s anything to worry about in the big picture. He was here, living an Olympic dream with his teammates and family, and he was thrilled to be a part of it. His team just had a couple of bad games at the wrong time.

“I think Curling Canada does everything right to get these teams ready for these events,” Koe said. “We lost two games in a row. Everybody loses two games in a row. Unfortunately for us, they came here.”

Koe would not change a thing about the way Canada selects its Olympic representatives, through trials in December, a couple months before the Games. Some people have suggested Canada should pick its Olympic teams sooner and give them more time to prepare to peak at exactly the right moment.

“History shows you it has worked,” Koe said. “This event, maybe people will start to think otherwise, but we were ready, we were playing well and no matter when we would have been chosen, we felt great coming here, in top top shape. We just didn’t play our best games.

“We have amazing depth in Canada. A lot of these countries have one good team. I couldn’t even tell you another good team in Sweden or Switzerland. They focus on one team and those teams do well. To say all these countries are at the level of Canada, I don’t think that’s accurate.”



The other countries have improved because we have taught them. We are trying to elevate the game to where instead of Canada stomping people, there is competition, which is good for the sport. That's what matters to these guys. None of your links mention any sort of change to the choosing of the teams, so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Author:  martin14 [ Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Tricks wrote:
martin14 wrote:
The qualification process for the 2017 Olympic trials differed slightly from the process used at the 2013 trials. For both the men's and women's categories, a pool of twenty-one teams is designated as eligible to represent Canada at the 2018 Olympics, based on rankings from the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS). From the pool of twenty-one, seven teams were selected to qualify directly for the 2017 Canadian Curling Trials in December. The remaining fourteen teams competed in a pre-trials tournament, and the top two teams qualified for the nine-team trials. The winner of each trials will represent Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Cana ... ing_Trials


Ask your guy what was really changed

Quote:
The curlers disagree with you. From your own link.


Quote:
Koe doesn’t think


The other countries have improved because we have taught them. We are trying to elevate the game to where instead of Canada stomping people, there is competition, which is good for the sport. That's what matters to these guys. None of your links mention any sort of change to the choosing of the teams, so I'm not sure where you got that from.


The first one from wiki did.
I made it easy for you, easy left wing website, even pasted the relevant passage.


And quoting Koe, the guy who got to go, well that's just hilarious. :lol:
Of course he thought everything was fine, He got the chance to go.
Which was the wrong choice.
Both him and Homan.

See, if it was just one team, you say ok they had a bad run.
But both men's and women's played like crap.
So something else is wrong.

Author:  Strutz [ Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympic games and watched more events than I ever have before, whether live events, repeats, recaps or profiles on our athletes.

Good for our athletes that were rewarded a medal for their performance but kudos to all for their effort in trying. :rock:

Author:  Fighter [ Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

Congratulations to Canada...

By the way, Canadians should have a cricket team...Like UK, Pakistan.

:)

Author:  Tricks [ Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - PyeongChang 2018

martin14 wrote:
The qualification process for the 2017 Olympic trials differed slightly from the process used at the 2013 trials. For both the men's and women's categories, a pool of twenty-one teams is designated as eligible to represent Canada at the 2018 Olympics, based on rankings from the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS). From the pool of twenty-one, seven teams were selected to qualify directly for the 2017 Canadian Curling Trials in December. The remaining fourteen teams competed in a pre-trials tournament, and the top two teams qualified for the nine-team trials. The winner of each trials will represent Canada at the 2018 Winter Olympics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Cana ... ing_Trials
Quote:
The qualification process for the 2013 Olympic trials differed slightly from the process used at the 2009 trials. For both the men's and women's categories, a pool of eighteen teams is designated as eligible to represent Canada at the 2014 Olympics, based on rankings from the Canadian Team Ranking System (CTRS). From the pool of eighteen, six teams are selected to qualify directly for the 2013 Canadian Curling Trials in December. The remaining twelve teams will compete in a pre-trials tournament, and the top two teams will qualify for the eight-team trials. The winner of each trials will represent Canada at the 2014 Winter Olympics.[2]

Six teams qualified directly into the Olympic Trials based on the following criteria:[3]

See anything familiar? It was only the number of teams allowed to compete for the trials. AKA. Nothing.

Quote:
See, if it was just one team, you say ok they had a bad run.
But both men's and women's played like crap.
So something else is wrong.

Something isn't wrong. Everyone else improved. That's what happens when Canada coaches go all over the world and train them how to play. They're making it more competitive.

Page 12 of 13 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB ©