CKA Forums
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/

Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008
http://www.canadaka.net/forums/olympics-f57/canada-vs-the-world-beijing-2008-t66474-90.html
Page 7 of 9

Author:  ManifestDestiny [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Hyack wrote:
Not that it really means diddley squat, but the US has a population ten times that of Canada. As of right now the US has 65 medals, while Canada has 7, so on a per capita basis....Canada is ahead by 5 medals.... XD XD



So Australia has the most medals then.

Author:  Hyack [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

ManifestDestiny wrote:
Hyack wrote:
Not that it really means diddley squat, but the US has a population ten times that of Canada. As of right now the US has 65 medals, while Canada has 7, so on a per capita basis....Canada is ahead by 5 medals.... XD XD



So Australia has the most medals then.


Actually, if you check your figures, I think you will find Armenia has the most medals.....on a per capita basis..... :wink:

Author:  ManifestDestiny [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Hyack wrote:
ManifestDestiny wrote:
Hyack wrote:
Not that it really means diddley squat, but the US has a population ten times that of Canada. As of right now the US has 65 medals, while Canada has 7, so on a per capita basis....Canada is ahead by 5 medals.... XD XD



So Australia has the most medals then.


Actually, if you check your figures, I think you will find Armenia has the most medals.....on a per capita basis..... :wink:



Freakin Armenias true olympic power house :lol: [B-o]

Author:  Brenda [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Hyack wrote:
Gold-medal redemption for Canadian men's eight

The men’s eight rowing team finished the job they started four years ago by winning a gold medal on Sunday.

Canada led wire-to-wire in the final race at Beijing’s Shunyi Olympic rowing park. Taking the silver was Great Britain and taking the bronze was the U.S.

Canada finished in a time of five minutes, 23.89 seconds.

“We never stopped, we just kept on pushing, every stroke,” said coxswain Brian Price.

The reigning world champions were seeking redemption for their crushing defeat in Athens in 2004, when they entered as medal favourites and finished fifth.

WHOOHOOOOO!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I missed it today :D :D Thanks HYACK!! :D

The women 2 won Bronze and the Dutch women 2 won Gold :D
(sorry, I know, breaking the "Canadian content" a bit, but I am damned proud of all 4 of those girls :D Don't lynch me, okay? ;-))

Author:  Hyack [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Dutch!....Dutch!!....awww what the hell....we got the Armenians mixed up in here now....just don't get too carried away with it Brenda.... :lol: :lol:

Author:  Brenda [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:03 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

:lol: :lol:

Author:  Hyack [ Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Blythe Hartley 4th in diving final

Blythe Hartley nearly won Canada's fifth medal Sunday at the Beijing Games.

Instead, the North Vancouver native settled for a fourth-place finish in the finals of the women's three-metre springboard diving event.

Hartley, who posted a total score of 374.60 points, was sitting in third place before the final diver of the competition, China's Guo Jingjing, knocked her off the podium by shooting into first place.

Guo, the defending Olympic champion, won the gold with a total score of 415.35 points, ahead of Russia's Julia Pakhalina (398.60) and China's Wu Minxia (389.85).

Hartley, 26, was in medal contention through three dives, but managed just 72 points on her fourth attempt, well below the scores of the eventual medal winners.

"It was a very tough competition. The top three [medal winners] are wonderful divers and I knew going into it that the field was very strong," Hartley told CBC.

"I just went in there with a goal of doing my best and I'm really thrilled that I did that and had a great performance."

A three-time Olympian who intends to retire, Hartley won an Olympic bronze medal in synchronized diving with Emilie Heymans at the 2004 Games in Athens. She is also a two-time world champion on the one-metre springboard.

"This is my final Olympic Games and I fell so lucky to have had such a wonderful career … to be able to go out and finish my Olympic career the way I did, I couldn't ask for more," Hartley said.

Author:  Hyack [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Canada's Cockburn wins silver in trampoline

Canada's Karen Cockburn won the silver medal in the women's trampoline at the Beijing Games on Monday, her third Olympic medal in the event.

Cockburn, of Stouffville, Ont., earned a score of 37.00 for her routine, which had a degree of difficulty of 14.4, to earn Canada its eighth medal overall of the Games.

"It was pretty intense out there today and I think it was kind of whoever survived the day the best because they weren't the best routines out there," Cockburn said.

"It's unlike any other competition when you're here because it's your one chance to do well. It's tough to hit the routines, and you saw a few mistakes out there."

Canada wins silver medal in team jumping

Canada earned a silver in the team jumping competition on Day 10 at the Olympic Games, giving veteran rider Ian Millar his first medal in his ninth Olympic appearance.

Canada was tied with the United States with 20 penalty points at the Hong Kong equestrian venue, but three American riders went through the course perfectly in a jump-off.

Millar, 61, led Canada into the tiebreaker round with a perfect ride on In Style. Miller was due third in the jump-off, but the Americans ensured he didn't have a chance to go again.

"The support we've had all year, everybody's recognized that we had a shot at this thing, such enthusiasm, such support, and that's a big motivator to us," Millar told CBC Sports. "We all say thank you very much to those who support it and those who believe in us."

Author:  bootlegga [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

ManifestDestiny wrote:
Michael Phelps has 8 gold medals this olympics alone thats a new record.

One American has more medals than all of Canada :?

Are you guys sure Canada kicks ass? :lol:



Sure we do. We just do it legally, without the Balco and all the other undetectable drugs that the US pumps into it's atheltes.

Author:  mtbr [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

bootlegga wrote:
ManifestDestiny wrote:
Michael Phelps has 8 gold medals this olympics alone thats a new record.

One American has more medals than all of Canada :?

Are you guys sure Canada kicks ass? :lol:



Sure we do. We just do it legally, without the Balco and all the other undetectable drugs that the US pumps into it's atheltes.


no drugs are ever found in Canadian athletes :roll:

this is the start of the anti-American they're cheating complaints.

Author:  bootlegga [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

mtbr wrote:
bootlegga wrote:
ManifestDestiny wrote:
Michael Phelps has 8 gold medals this olympics alone thats a new record.

One American has more medals than all of Canada :?

Are you guys sure Canada kicks ass? :lol:



Sure we do. We just do it legally, without the Balco and all the other undetectable drugs that the US pumps into it's atheltes.


no drugs are ever found in Canadian athletes :roll:

this is the start of the anti-American they're cheating complaints.


:roll:

It has nothing to do with the anti-American cheating complaints, it has to do with the fact that we've had a Gold medal stripped from one of our athletes and have tried to prevent that from happening AGAIN.

Obviously, the US, with the very recent BALCO scandal (can you spell Marion Jones?) still hasn't learned that lesson. Hell, I'd be surprised if the Chinese and Russians AREN'T doing it too.

God, sometimes I can't believe how stupidly partisan you are, then you go and prove it all over again. Enjoy your purple kool-aid!

Author:  bootlegga [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Hyack wrote:
Not that it really means diddley squat, but the US has a population ten times that of Canada. As of right now the US has 65 medals, while Canada has 7, so on a per capita basis....Canada is ahead by 5 medals.... XD XD


Now, it's eight, so we're up by 15! :lol:

Still a week to go and it looks like we've good chance of getting more than we did in Athens.

Author:  mtbr [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

bootlegga wrote:

It has nothing to do with the anti-American cheating complaints, it has to do with the fact that we've had a Gold medal stripped from one of our athletes and have tried to prevent that from happening AGAIN.

Obviously, the US, with the very recent BALCO scandal (can you spell Marion Jones?) still hasn't learned that lesson. Hell, I'd be surprised if the Chinese and Russians AREN'T doing it too.

God, sometimes I can't believe how stupidly partisan you are, then you go and prove it all over again. Enjoy your purple kool-aid!



Here comes the crying about the bad old Americans.. 10 times the population equals 10 times the drug use,,everything's equal :lol: :P


Partisan to who? fuck you really are an idiot :lol:

did you notice the 6 feet beside my house Mr 40 year mortgage.

Author:  hurley_108 [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

Hyack wrote:
Actually, if you check your figures, I think you will find Armenia has the most medals.....on a per capita basis..... :wink:


Is there an easy source for this? Here is how I figured it:

Rank: Country (Total medals per hundred million people)
1: Slovenia (197.1)
2: Armenia (166.6)
3: Australia (154.2)
4: Jamaica (147.4)
5: New Zealand (140.4)
6: Belarus (113.5)
7: Denmark (109.3)
8: Norway (104.6)
9: Cuba (97.6)
10: Mongolia (76.1)
11: Trinidad and Tobago (75)
12: Estonia (74.6)
13: Slovakia (74)
14: Netherlands (73)
15: Georgia (68.3)
16: Switzerland (65.5)
17: Azerbaijan (59.1)
18: Finland (56.4)
19: Kazakhstan (51.9)
20: Hungary (49.8)
21: Czech Republic (48.1)
22: South Korea (47.7)
23: Britain (44.6)
24: Croatia (43.9)
25: France (43.4)
26: Bulgaria (39.3)
27: Kyrgyzstan (37.6)
28: Romania (37.3)
29: Austria (36)
30: Ukraine (34.7)
31: Sweden (32.6)
32: Italy (30.2)
33: Zimbabwe (30)
34: Panama (29.9)
35: Lithuania (29.8)
36: Germany (28)
37: Canada (27)
38: Greece (26.9)
39: Russia (25.4)
40: North Korea (25.2)
41: United States (23.6)
42: Singapore (21.8)
43: Serbia (20.3)
44: Kenya (18.6)
45: Poland (18.4)
46: Spain (17.4)
47: Japan (15.7)
48: Togo (15.2)
49: Tajikistan (14.8)
50: Uzbekistan (11)
51: Tunisia (9.7)
52: Portugal (9.4)
53: Chinese Taipei (8.7)
54: Ecuador (7.5)
55: Chile (6)
56: Algeria (5.9)
57: Cameroon (5.4)
58: China (5.1)
59: Colombia (4.5)
60: Turkey (4.3)
61: Ethiopia (3.8)
62: Malaysia (3.7)
63: Morocco (3.2)
64: Brazil (3.2)
65: Argentina (2.5)
66: Indonesia (2.2)
67: South Africa (2.1)
68: Thailand (1.6)
69: Egypt (1.3)
70: Vietnam (1.1)
71: Mexico (0.9)
72: India (0.1)

Author:  mtbr [ Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:28 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Canada vs the world - Beijing 2008

bootlegga wrote:

God, sometimes I can't believe how stupidly partisan you are, then you go and prove it all over again. Enjoy your purple kool-aid!


I would still like to know how this makes me partisan to anyone.

Page 7 of 9 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB ©