CKA Forums

Work visa without a job offer
Page 1 of 1

Author:  gstang23 [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Work visa without a job offer

Well, now its my turn to ask for help on this. Is it possible to get a work visa without a job offer? My company which made it sound like they wanted me so bad to transfer, now has gotten cold feet. They really feel skitish about the time it takes to get a permit and if I would actually be able to get one.

So is there a way to get pre-approved for a work permit, or some way that I can get a letter from CIC (after providing the information of course) that would say "This person would be qualified for a work permit if hired for this position"?

Author:  usababe [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:07 pm ]
Post subject: 

I don't think so....I think you have to have a job offer first to get work permit...UNLESS you get a spousal sponsor (I think you can do that) or you do something like BUNAC which is for college graduates (only their 1st semester out of school, and only for 6 months).

Author:  gstang23 [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 pm ]
Post subject: 

Dont have a spouse or just out of college. Guess ill have to see what immigration does or doesnt allow. sigh.....

Author:  usababe [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

yeah, it sucks....skilled worker probably is best bet.

Author:  stratos [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:49 pm ]
Post subject: 

Wonder if my corrections background would help me get into canada. Work as a jail guard up in canada kind of sounds good to me right now.

Author:  hwacker [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:50 pm ]
Post subject: 

Nope, you're stuck in the good old USA.

Author:  stratos [ Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yeah I dont mind I've reasons to want to be in Canada (none are politicaly based) but at the same time I dont want to leave the US....

Author:  nooobody [ Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:03 am ]
Post subject: 

to gstang 23:
If the job prospect you've had in Canada is so good, and the only reservation of the prospective employer is processing time and complexity of the process, why not retain an authorized representative - immigration lawywer or consultant who at least could say whether you or the employer have any chances for getting a work permit at all?

Author:  Brenda [ Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:32 am ]
Post subject: 

An authorized representative can tell you nothing more or less than CIC itself. If you are under 30, you could be able to get a "working-holiday" visa. If you are not, you just have to follow the rules.

Employers are very leary about work permits. It a lot of work for a foreigner who might not show up anyway.

Work Permits (and the Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC) are applied for by name (yours). So if a company needs to hire people from abroad, they need to show HRSDC a contract, with salary for the person they hire, the name and adress, and so on. They also need to show how many weeks they have been advertising, how many people they have laid off the past 12 months, etcetera. It is not that easy. The company needs to proof to HRSDC they cannot find a Canadian to do the job, otherwise they cannot hire people from abroad. When they have done that, and HRSDC approves of the LMO, then you have to send it all to Buffalo (I guess, since you're in the States), and they will send you a letter, with what you can get your Work Permit at the border, when you enter Canada.

So it is not you, or if you are qualified, but the company, who has to proof they can't find a Canadian Resident. So the letter you are talking about, is the LMO, and is just part of the Work Permit process...

Sorry I don't have any better news for you... :?

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB ©