Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 am

BartSimpson wrote:
raydan wrote:
andyt wrote:
It was clear that you weren't making a threat, Ray. Still kind of shocked me to read what you wrote tho. And a little over the top. More likely to be a HRC complaint about the restaurant. That's the Canadian way.

Maybe, but tell me, in today's world, would we be all that surprised if it actually happened?

In Canada?

I'd be shocked but not surprised.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:02 am

raydan wrote:
I'd be shocked but not surprised.

Then aside from the personal issues in my initial response (consider them retracted in recognition of your epic edit :wink: ) then you're not seeing certain people as all so tolerant either.

Do you think things are that bad in Canada? Any examples of what's convinced you of this?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:10 am

Anyone can theme their own business any way they want to. I'm more wondering why someone thought this particular theme would be a sound business idea anywhere in Canada. :?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 am

Thanos wrote:
Anyone can theme their own business any way they want to. I'm more wondering why someone thought this particular theme would be a sound business idea anywhere in Canada. :?

Why should anyone in Canada care a whit over a flag that has no meaning in Canada?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 am

There are intolerant people everywhere... crazy people too... nothing really surprises me anymore. I don't see the world separated by a left/right line, Bart, so don't try to stick a secret meaning or agenda on my posts.

Besides, nothing says it would be a Canadian throwing the cocktail. :wink:

NOTE : damn, I almost forgot my winkie smilie. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am

Thanos wrote:

Look at what else this guy has posted. It's an anti-Muslim, anti-Asian (no rice, wow), restaurant. He's stirring the pot. The flag symbolizes racism, and there will be a crowd that's attracted to that. Basically Canadians Good Ole Boys wannabes. But the protests just give him more publicity, just as with the Pidgin restaurant in Vancouver.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:25 am

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 am

Thanos wrote:

BartSimpson wrote:
Why should anyone in Canada care a whit over a flag that has no meaning in Canada?

Association. Stars and Bars = Deep South = Great BBQ.

Novelty. Standing out from the rest. Something a business would like to do, in a way that attracts customers.

Canadians are pretty knowledgeable about the USA. They get the Stars and Bars - Deep South connection.

Besides, the Stars and Bars is one of the best flags ever designed. :D

Attachment:
general wee.JPG
general wee.JPG [ 104.03 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 am

BartSimpson wrote:

I think you underestimate the view of the world Canadians have, as opposed to a lot of Americans. The rest of the world actually sees that there is more in the world than just their own little corner in their own country. Most people can see across borders, and not just for the reason of gaining power.

The Confederate Flag stands for racism. Not just in the US. You would get your ass kicked about it in The Netherlands too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 am

raydan wrote:

Those are the signs? Pshhhhh. It also says he isn't serving burgers, wings and fries either. The guy's being a bit edgy to attract some publicity, and oh boy is it working.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:35 am

martin14 wrote:
fifeboy wrote:
raydan wrote:
I saw "Confederate flag" and thought, "not again.
Then saw "Canada" and thought, "this is pretty much a non story.

As long as he's OK with losing a few customers and the possibility of being firebombed.

But it is BBQ and what can one say about BBQ other than NOW I'M HUNGRY, LETS GO.

Wow a reasonable post from you.

Gotta be a first time for everything I suppose. [B-o] [B-o]
Hey dude, I lived in Kentucky for years. Those guys KNOW BBQ. Never pass over an opportunity to eat at a southern BBQ pit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 am

Brenda wrote:
BartSimpson wrote:

The Confederate Flag stands for racism. Not just in the US. You would get your ass kicked about it in The Netherlands too.

But wearing an Iron Cross is fine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 am

fifeboy wrote:
martin14 wrote:
fifeboy wrote:
But it is BBQ and what can one say about BBQ other than NOW I'M HUNGRY, LETS GO.

Wow a reasonable post from you.

Gotta be a first time for everything I suppose. [B-o] [B-o]
Hey dude, I lived in Kentucky for years. Those guys KNOW BBQ. Never pass over an opportunity to eat at a southern BBQ pit.

The best BBQ and ribs I ever ate were in Tennessee.
Just saw their flag.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:55 am

Thanos wrote:

Because it symbolises the south. And BBQ is southern cuisine. It's also "hill billy", which is becoming a rallying cry for a certain kind of people. For me, if the food is good I'd probably go. Don't care much for "hill billy" culture, but I love good BBQ. I've actually cosidered driving to Calgary for the BBQ on the Bow BBQ competition, that's how much I love it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

Jonny_C wrote:
Besides, the Stars and Bars is one of the best flags ever designed. :D

You're referring to the Battle Flag of the Army of Virginia. The National Flag of the Confederacy is the flag that is colloquially referred to as The Stars and Bars and it looks like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_t ... of_America