canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:40 am

not sure why anyone would want a confederate flag in the first place. Never mind someone in Canada that has/had nothing to do with southern US politics to begin with.

When I see a confederate flag, I think of rebellion and slavery. Not really something I would want to take a stance for but...each to there own I guess. I don't find it offensive, more curious.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 am

uwish wrote:
When I see a confederate flag, I think of rebellion and slavery. Not really something I would want to take a stance for but...each to there own I guess. I don't find it offensive, more curious.

This is a rather recent development that the battle flag has been cast as a 'racist' symbol and not just a symbol of the Old South.

It was just thirty years ago that "The Dukes of Hazzard" was a popular program on network television and there was nary a peep out of anyone about their prominent use of that particular banner on the 'General Lee'.

It's only since the advent of the panty-waisted dictators of political correctness that 'sensitive' types lose all sense of reason at the sight of what was just a quaint anachronism not so many years ago.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 am

BartSimpson wrote:
It's only since the advent of the panty-waisted dictators of political correctness that 'sensitive' types lose all sense of reason at the sight of what was just a quaint anachronism not so many years ago.

Ahh, the quaintness of the good ol' days, when few things could replace the racious entertainment of the minstrel show.

Free speech protects the right to be offensive. But what's even more offensive is denying that something's offensive when it so obviously is, especially when, in this case, the restaurant owner clearly intended it to be offensive.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 San Jose Sharks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 am

Lemmy wrote:
Free speech protects the right to be offensive. But what's even more offensive is denying that something's offensive when it so obviously is, especially when, in this case, the restaurant owner clearly intended it to be offensive.

Maybe he intended to be offensive, maybe he's pushing back at those who have offended him. Regardless, I'm not taking up his cause, I'm just noting that the idea that the battle flag is 'racist' is a relatively recent development since just the late 1990's.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Maybe he intended to be offensive, maybe he's pushing back at those who have offended him. Regardless, I'm not taking up his cause, I'm just noting that the idea that the battle flag is 'racist' is a relatively recent development since just the late 1990's.

I disagree with your timeline, but regardless, it wasn't until the 1930s that the swastika became a symbol of racism. It doesn't matter when it became what it is. A butterfly is a butterfly, even if it used to be a caterpillar.