canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 am

Title: 'Israel seeks Turkish airbase to enable Iran strike' | The Times of Israel
Category: World
Posted By: commanderkai
Date: 2013-04-21 19:44:43

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 am

yeah, like that's going to happen after the flotilla incident.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 am

The Turks didn't co-operate in 2003 for the attack on Iraq, even under extreme pressure from the US, so I'd put it as doubtful that they'll co-operate with the Little Satan for any attack on Iran.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:47 am

Yeah, I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind it. Israel must be prepared to hand over some serious military tech or hardware, otherwise the Turks wouldn't even entertain the notion. They probably won't anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:26 am

Is perhaps Turkey planning to intervene in Syria? If so, they could use Israeli help with that.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:03 am

If they attack anyways Israel will find that they only have one friend left in the world and they aren't going to get fully involved in a war that was started for no reason. Meanwhile Iran will be fully justified in launching a large number of counter attacks including dramatically increased funding of terror groups. Israel needs to sit down and shut the fuck up for once because their constant threats of war are making them one of the greatest threats to peace in the region.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:01 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
If they attack anyways Israel will find that they only have one friend left in the world and they aren't going to get fully involved in a war that was started for no reason. Meanwhile Iran will be fully justified in launching a large number of counter attacks including dramatically increased funding of terror groups. Israel needs to sit down and shut the fuck up for once because their constant threats of war are making them one of the greatest threats to peace in the region.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. Israel bombing nuclear reactors in Arab countries is standard operating procedure for Israel. Iraq in the early 80s, and later Syria in the mid 00s. Hitting Iran's nuclear project wouldn't lose them any more allies, nor would it be likely to start any major war beyond what Israel is already fighting. You make it sound like Hezbollah attacking Israel more is somehow a new occurrence that Israel hasn't dealt with in the past.

Basically, no, they're not the "greatest threats to peace" in the region when no side in the region is all that peaceful. It's not like Iran's made threats against Israel in the past, or it's not like Iran is funding and supplying major anti-Israel groups like Hezbollah and Hamas.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:17 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
I'm sorry, you're wrong. Israel bombing nuclear reactors in Arab countries is standard operating procedure for Israel. Iraq in the early 80s, and later Syria in the mid 00s. Hitting Iran's nuclear project wouldn't lose them any more allies, nor would it be likely to start any major war beyond what Israel is already fighting. You make it sound like Hezbollah attacking Israel more is somehow a new occurrence that Israel hasn't dealt with in the past.

Basically, no, they're not the "greatest threats to peace" in the region when no side in the region is all that peaceful. It's not like Iran's made threats against Israel in the past, or it's not like Iran is funding and supplying major anti-Israel groups like Hezbollah and Hamas.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Both sides despise each other, neither is doing much to rectify that situation and soon--probably as soon as the US stops sticking is nose in--they'll go to war and sort it out. Or not.

The question for Canada is our involvment. Baird has been a a great friend of Israel. It would be nice if he did something for Canada at some point. :lol: He'll probbaly try to drag Canada in to any conflagration.

My opinion is that if Israel preemptively attacks Iran and things blow up, Canada should stay out of it. If Iran launches an attack on Israel, Canada should be all-in. I don't have a very high opinion of Israel myself, but they're a lot better than Iran, or Syria or any other country in that shithole part of the planet.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Yeah, I'd agree with this. Both sides despise each other, neither is doing much to rectify that situation and soon--probably as soon as the US stops sticking is nose in--they'll go to war and sort it out. Or not.

The question for Canada is our involvment. Baird has been a a great friend of Israel. It would be nice if he did something for Canada at some point. :lol: He'll probbaly try to drag Canada in to any conflagration.

My opinion is that if Israel preemptively attacks Iran and things blow up, Canada should stay out of it. If Iran launches an attack on Israel, Canada should be all-in. I don't have a very high opinion of Israel myself, but they're a lot better than Iran, or Syria or any other country in that shithole part of the planet.

Canada wouldn't be actively involved in any such conflict. Hell, I don't think the United States directly intervened with their own forces in any of Israel's various conflicts either . Even the Yom Kippur War, where Israel was preemptively attacked by the various Arab states, American involvement was resupplying Israel once Israel turned the tides, and keeping the Soviets away from directly intervening in the war.

On top of this, I read another article that Israel is buying aeriel refueling aircraft from the United States, thus negating the need of using any Turkish airbases. I honestly see Israel trying to make a deal in case one of their aircraft need to make an emergency landing, since I don't think any other country would even be remotely willing.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/reversing- ... ng-planes/

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 pm

On top of this, I read another article that Israel is buying aeriel refueling aircraft from the United States, thus negating the need of using any Turkish airbases. I honestly see Israel trying to make a deal in case one of their aircraft need to make an emergency landing, since I don't think any other country would even be remotely willing.

Then they would need airspace, at least.

I beleive Israel recently officially apologized for the flotilla thing a few weeks ago.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:32 pm

martin14 martin14:

Then they would need airspace, at least.

I beleive Israel recently officially apologized for the flotilla thing a few weeks ago.

Didn't the Saudis say they would be willing to...ignore Israel violations of their airspace to bomb Iran a little while back?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 pm

unless the Persians really pull a bonehead move, can't see the relationship between Turkey and Israel going beyond feigned politeness. The Turks want to get in good with their former subjects and resume their role as the regional power in the eastern Med and ME

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 pm

jeff744 jeff744:

You can only kick a person so long before they do retaliate and Iran does have the ability to make any major war extremely painful for any nation that started one. Israel attacking any Iranian nuclear site would start a war with the one nation in the region with the ability to back up their threats of war. They also have the ability to shoot down the Israeli fighters before they hit their objectives, still justifying an immense increase in their funding of terror groups. Iran is not a country you piss off too much as they do have the ability to cause a lot of pain in a very short amount of time and attacking a nuclear site is very easy way to encourage them to retaliate.

Actually, a number of their neighbours don't give a rat's ass about Israel anymore, the biggest one was Syria and they are busy with a civil war. The remaining enemies are terror groups, one of which exists entirely because Israel has decided to play the victim card while victimizing Palestinians. Hard to blame a people for turning to terror when they haven't had their own nation for a couple thousand years. Even harder when the people that own your nation now decide they want to settle into your lands illegally and then become victimized by extremist settlers that will stoop to beating children on the way to school. Also hard when a handful of countries have basically left the nation doomed to being an occupied territory despite the fact 132 countries now recognize them as a state.

Israel hasn't exactly done much to calm the situation and now with Iran they seem intent on turning it into a real war based on information with has never had any actual proof to back it up. Terror groups are small beans when compared to a nation that wants to drop a bomb on a nuclear site.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:24 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
unless the Persians really pull a bonehead move, can't see the relationship between Turkey and Israel going beyond feigned politeness. The Turks want to get in good with their former subjects and resume their role as the regional power in the eastern Med and ME

I wouldn't mind that. Iran is making a big cock-up of it. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
jeff744 jeff744:

You can only kick a person so long before they do retaliate and Iran does have the ability to make any major war extremely painful for any nation that started one. Israel attacking any Iranian nuclear site would start a war with the one nation in the region with the ability to back up their threats of war. They also have the ability to shoot down the Israeli fighters before they hit their objectives, still justifying an immense increase in their funding of terror groups. Iran is not a country you piss off too much as they do have the ability to cause a lot of pain in a very short amount of time and attacking a nuclear site is very easy way to encourage them to retaliate.

Actually, a number of their neighbours don't give a rat's ass about Israel anymore, the biggest one was Syria and they are busy with a civil war. The remaining enemies are terror groups, one of which exists entirely because Israel has decided to play the victim card while victimizing Palestinians. Hard to blame a people for turning to terror when they haven't had their own nation for a couple thousand years. Even harder when the people that own your nation now decide they want to settle into your lands illegally and then become victimized by extremist settlers that will stoop to beating children on the way to school. Also hard when a handful of countries have basically left the nation doomed to being an occupied territory despite the fact 132 countries now recognize them as a state.

Israel hasn't exactly done much to calm the situation and now with Iran they seem intent on turning it into a real war based on information with has never had any actual proof to back it up. Terror groups are small beans when compared to a nation that wants to drop a bomb on a nuclear site.

And how is it you have such great knowledge of Iran's fighting capabilities ?

Iranian Air Defense Radar: 'Unknown aircraft you are in Iranian airspace. Identify yourself.'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States aircraft. I am in Iraqi airspace.'

Air Defense Radar: 'You are in Iranian airspace. If you do not depart our airspace
We will launch interceptor aircraft!'

Aircraft: 'This is a United States Marine Corps FA-18 fighter. Send 'em up, I'll wait.'
Air Defense Radar: (total silence)

:lol: