Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

Jabberwalker Jabberwalker:
$1:
I understand some people getting their knickers in a knot - I raised a similar question when I joined the Militia (way back when) and they asked me to swear to defend the Queen. In the end, I said the oath, but my heart really wasn't in it.

Funny.

I'm a tenth generation Canadian, 14th generation North American but I was proud of the tradition and had no trouble at all swearing that same oath.

Well, I've never been much of a monarchist (I could care less either way really) and at age 18, I voiced my concerns (as was my right as a citizen) over what I felt was an outdated "tradition".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 am

$1:
Well, I've never been much of a monarchist (I could care less either way really) and at age 18, I voiced my concerns (as was my right as a citizen) over what I felt was an outdated "tradition".

I grew up as an Anglo Quebecer and, as I think about it, I suppose that it was a part of my ethnic identity, in a way. English Quebec is fairly unique in North America (north of the Mexican border, anyway) where people of British origins are just another ethnic minority.