Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:25 am

Another consideration - Patents. Blackberry has tons of them, and the likes of Apple, Motorola (Google) aren't going to risk any patent troll getting them like Nortel did on it's liquidation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:45 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Another consideration - Patents. Blackberry has tons of them, and the likes of Apple, Motorola (Google) aren't going to risk any patent troll getting them like Nortel did on it's liquidation.

Blackberry owns a chunk of those Nortel patents too.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:40 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
What bank do you use?

That's Classified. :P

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I've never heard of that happening.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:58 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:
The BB10 OS is by far the best OS available on the market for a smartphone but suffers from a lack of apps.

I never bought the more 'apps' thing. It's a phone. I can see the use of some things like Google Maps, or a restaraunt guide; but most people I know use an app once or twice, and never again. (Besides angry birds) So why would people want to pay $5.99 for more things to ignore?

Besides, BB10 runs all Android apps doesn't it?

Yeah, call me old, but I hardly use any of the apps I downloaded for my tablet...fortunately, I didn't pay for any of them.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:39 pm

The final nail in BlackBerry's coffin with the loyal base was when they dropped BB10 for the Playbook.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Mmmm.

RIM are toast. I sold my shares when that guy was looking at buying a NHL team.

I had a work BB, I liked it. I got my own LG android with a qwerty keyboard, I though it was ok but it crapped out on me when I was back in the Emerald Isle and all my cousins took the piss out of me for not having an iphone. I reluctantly got an iphone 4 for free with my plan as choices on qwerty phones are now very limited.

The iphone is simply the best phone I have ever had. Did I say that RIM are toast yet?

It's Nortel 2.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Mmmm.

I had a work BB, I liked it. I got my own LG android with a qwerty keyboard, I though it was ok but it crapped out on me when I was back in the Emerald Isle and all my cousins took the piss out of me for not having an iphone. I reluctantly got an iphone 4 for free with my plan as choices on qwerty phones are now very limited.

The iphone is simply the best phone I have ever had. Did I say that RIM are toast yet?

It's Nortel 2.

We have short memories, it seems.

A quick look back at Apple and it's fractured past, you'll see a lot of similarities. Financial losses, big job cuts and innovation that led to the companies recovery. Blackberry is still sitting with billions in the bank and zero debt.

BB10 has advantages...it's the best OS available on the market today. It has more apps available at this point in it's lifespan than Apple did with the iPhone.

At the 7 month mark, Apple had roughly 17,000 apps while BB10 is running over 117,000 apps at the same time period. Android was running 2,900.

Taking BB private is the right way to to this. Get the company back to innovation and less worries about the stock market. Positive news and great phone reviews will bring the company back up again.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
BB10 has advantages...it's the best OS available on the market today. It has more apps available at this point in it's lifespan than Apple did with the iPhone.

At the 7 month mark, Apple had roughly 17,000 apps while BB10 is running over 117,000 apps at the same time period. Android was running 2,900.

Taking BB private is the right way to to this. Get the company back to innovation and less worries about the stock market. Positive news and great phone reviews will bring the company back up again.

Exactly. Blackberry isn't 'toast' so much as people think they are 'toast'. If people looked at their product objectively, they would see it is strongly competitive.

With the new contract the company I work for will be signing in the next month, we all have to have our own company cell phone. I'll be getting a Z30 to replace my 6 year old BB 9700 Bold so I can 'dual home' it to my personal and corporate profiles. Then again, I still have a working Apple Newton.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:28 am

$1:
Then again, I still have a working Apple Newton.

[... he said cranking the handle on the side so that he could type out another sentence.]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:15 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Mmmm.

It's Nortel 2.

We have short memories, it seems.

A quick look back at Apple and it's fractured past, you'll see a lot of similarities. Financial losses, big job cuts and innovation that led to the companies recovery. Blackberry is still sitting with billions in the bank and zero debt.

That's true BlackBerry was in the same spot Apple once was, maybe taking them private is the best as you pointed out because they're not under pressure to answer to shareholders which is possibly the start of their problems as I know from experience taking a company public changes everything.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:16 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Yeah, call me old, but I hardly use any of the apps I downloaded for my tablet...fortunately, I didn't pay for any of them.

When you first run into apps, it's kind of like being a kid in a candy store. There seems to be so much there.

In a short while you start to see an incredible amount of duplication and an incredible amount of junk.

It gets pretty boring looking for something that might have a modicum of usefulness on a cell phone. Particularly when so many things that apps do can be done so much better during that part of the day when you can sit down in front of a laptop or desktop computer.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:06 pm

$1:
Blackberry owns a chunk of those Nortel patents too.

Patents only have an 18 year lifespan and those old Nortel patents will be entering the public domain at a pretty steady rate, these days.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:04 am

It may be a dying gasp but this phone has some style...

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/photos/wait ... 83923.html

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 am

That ^^ is pretty sexy! But not work $2k.